Thread: ATV Hauler

Default ATV Hauler

I am looking for some advice on a recommended ATV trailer/hauler. I will be moving to AK in the future and was wondering what works out best up there. My plan is bring ATV and trailer from lower 48. We will be looking into a second ATV once we arrive in the area. Are the benefits worth the extra cash for an enclosed model? All aluminum? I realize you get what you pay for, but I am interested in what works in the enviornment up there. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Most of us have snowmachine trailers that we haul our rigs on. A well built aluminum trailer is great. Enclosed is awesome but not totally necessary. And go with tall skinny tires not the short fatties. I like the short fatties just fine myself but most folks don't keep track of tire pressures and the fatties don't like to be run low on pressure.

I perfer a steel frame, yes they are heavy, but if you crack a frame it can be repaired a lot easier in the field. As 'mod elan' has stated go with either 14" or 15" wheel/tires. The closer to the same size as your haul vehicle the better off you will be. Depending on what 4 wheeler you are getting an open trailer might be better. We have 500 AC's with after market tires and they will not fit side by side in a enclosed trailer. Therefore we have a 20' open deck. If you get a larger trailer you will want to get a dual axle and brakes one of the axles. It is nice to have brakes on both axles but most builders only put them on one axle. Guess that it is 'cheaper'. The plus of an enclosed trailer is that you can also uase it for a 'poor mans' camper and have someplace to stay in. I have seen some that have been fixed up real nice. If you are going to haul a tralier up from the 'lower 48' make sure that you have a couple extra spare tire/wheels. Have a safe trip.

I've got a single place tilt deck and a dual axle enclosed trailer....different trailers for different purposes.

I use the enclosed trailer when I'm going for a few days and I use it as a "hillbilly" camper. We outfitted our with a removable bunk, table, equipment locker, some coat hooks,cat heater etc. Darn nice base camp for the trail head but it sucks to haul it around.

I also have a lightweight aluminum tilt deck for pulling behind my Jeep for day trips, runs to the lumber store or hauling garbage, etc.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have a 22ft sled bed i use for sleds like mod said I use it to haul my 6x6 ranger 4x4 ranger and Polaris 400 sportsman. It has 13 inch tires as stated need to stay on top of checking tire pressures. I would prefer steel

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I have a 22ft sled bed i use for sleds like mod said I use it to haul my 6x6 ranger 4x4 ranger and Polaris 400 sportsman. It has 13 inch tires as stated need to stay on top of checking tire pressures. I would prefer steel
    How do you load all 3 of those machines on it?

He doesn't. Usually someone else tows one ranger for him. And I'll buy that trailer anyday 323. My enclosed trailer will hold 2 6x rangers but it is not a standard trailer.

6x6 first pull the 4x4 on side ways and 4 wheeler on sideways... I can pull both rangers on nose to tail but no room for the wheelers.

I like a well constructed open 8.5' aluminum snowmachine trailer over a ATV trailer due to the versatility of the extra deck space and light weight. Enclosed trailers are also great due to their versatility, but are harder to pull. You really see a noticeable increase in gas/fuel use with the added wind resistance and weight, however you do get the benefit of secure storage and a hillbilly RV.

Steel vs. aluminum is like Ford vs. Chevy, everyone has an opinion and are more than willing to tell you. Both have pro's and con's, but the most important is how well the trailer is made. I currently have a 16' Aluma with a V front, drive on/drive off ramps, and dual axles with brakes at all four wheels. It is extremely well made, but expensive. Stay away from a cheap trailer, it will not hold up to rugged road conditions, especially landscaper type trailers found at home improvement stores. Also go with taller tires if available, you can get heavy duty fatties, but no trailer comes with them from the factory. Good luck on your search.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    6x6 first pull the 4x4 on side ways and 4 wheeler on sideways... I can pull both rangers on nose to tail but no room for the wheelers.
    I figured that may be the case but didn't look at the dims to see how it would fit. I have a 24" Vnose trailer and end to end the 6x and 4x don't leave much room to spare.