Thread: Some area advice needed

Default Some area advice needed

Me and my buddy are looking at spending a little over a week trampling around somewhere for moose. He does not have an ATV so I was trying to find an area that is restricted to non-motorized use or semi-easily accessible from the highway.

Does anyone have any information about the sourdough controlled use area they are willing to give up? Is there enough moose in this area to make it worth going? Is there more people than moose in this area?

The other area we are looking at is 20C. Is there an area that would be somewhat easily accessed by foot from the Parks Highway? Is there a good population of moose?

My original plan in 16A got blown apart by flakey partners and this partner not having an ATV. If it were you and had to choose, which one would you choose, sourdough, 20C, or somewhere else? Is there another area I should be looking at? I am not searching for specific locations and do understand that most if not all info given will be vague. I have never been to either place and am just looking for general advice unless someone wants to give more. I was looking at sourdough because of its motor vehicle restrictions and 20C because of it being any bull. Any info you are willing to give will be much appreciated.

Where ever you end up, make sure you have a stratagey for packing out the moose. 2 miles is a LONG way to pack a moose. It is a really long way if it is up hill. It is a REALY REALY long way if it is swamp. Can you get one ATV and ride two up on the way in, set up a camp. Hunt out of camp? Put up a tree stand or two near by? Get your google maps on buddy for wide open spaces, and give it the old spot and stalk... and Moose calling is the way to go later in the season Good luck!

Why not give 14B a chance? It is close to town and with or without an atv you stand just as good of a chance of getting a bull.

The main problem with weekend trips to the interior of Alaska (Paxson and such) is that you burn a large amount of time driving to and from them that you could spend with boots on the ground in a closer to home spot.

The Sourdough Controlled Use Area is a lot of low swampy ground with limited visibility.

Unit 13 clearwater creek CUA. Line a canoe up the McClaren several miles and then float back down. check out any surface water east of the river. Don't drown while stuck in the quick silt/sand during the lining along the bank/bars. Horse back hunters will be on the road going to seven mile lake. There are a few grizzlies in the valley.

Speaking of Unit 14B be aware that the unit files in PDF on the ADFG website has placed the Unit 14B/A map in the Unit 13 file - page 71.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I gotta get with my buddy and maybe hash out a new plan. I kinda had my heart set on sourdough but limited visibility is no good. Never really thought of looking much in 14B either. New plans a brewing!!