Thread: sheep horn reproduction...replica...anything?

Default sheep horn reproduction...replica...anything?

hey guys...i just got back from an alaska range sheep hunt with a good buddy of mine. i'll post a write up and some pics later, but we had some success. i missed a nice ram in the 36 to 37 inch range on the second day of the season. i was fully willing to take full responsibility for the missed shot, but at my buddy's urging i shot my gun when we finished the hunt and indeed my hs precision had been knocked off zero during a fall early in the hunt. no worries as i really got my rocks off on the stalk and then led my good friend on an awsome stalk on his 36 1/2 inch ram two days later in which he took at rock throwing distances (sixty vertical yrds...closer to twenty yrds horizontally). it was a truly awsome hunt, and involved one of the most dangerous retrievals of mountain game i've ever been apart of. my buddy hadnt pushed himself that hard before (admittedly) and the efforts expended made the hunt an outstanding adventure: heres the problem:

the ram fell about 1500 vertical feet, and completely broke one side OFF. like unicorn style off. like theres only the horn core left on the skull plate. my question is if anyone has any suggestions on how to reproduce a fake one for mounting purposes? i know reproductions are big business these days, but figured they'd need the actual horn for such. if it were my personal sheep i'd mount it exactly as it it, because of what the hunt represented and how awsome the whole experience was. my buddy is NOT inclined to take my advice and would really like some advice on how to make his mount look normal. any help would be much appreciated. i literally just flew in and have only a couple days before my guiding season continues, but i'll try to get a write up and pics up in the next day or so.

what a hunt! i learned so much more about sheep...stalking them (i nailed those two stalks perfectly much to my enjoyment!), judging them, and spent some quality time in the mountains with guy that has overcome a lot in his life...diabetes being on of them. we kinda put our selves through the ringer as we only had seven days dues to my guiding schedule...i'm pretty sure my buddy will never forget that week in the mnts. and i really want him to have the mount he's been dreaming about since he was just a kid. he's been sheep hunting before, but not sucessfully and doenst know when he'll be able to swing it again. i'd like to find out a solution for him and his ram. by the way...i have a brand new respect for the alaska range...and a realization that the old adage that the brooks range is for when sheep hunters get old might just be very well true. it'll be the ak range for me for quite a while now, as i'm sick of contributing to the crowd in the brooks. we saw lots of rams, virtually zero hunters, and few planes. it was absolutlely awsome!

thanks in advance for any help guys.

zack

Did he retreave the broken off horn ??

Anthing can be done just depends on how extensive you want to get.

I have Several sheep that I can make a quik mold & make a cast that will work.

If he has the broken parts, I can put them back together & then cast the real horn & mount that on the sheep.

Let me know if I can help.

RJ Simington

Check PM's

Call me if you are in BET.

looks like russell knight's got it all figured out for my buddy...he didnt seem surprised, and it definitely wasnt the first similiar incident he'd seen. thanks for the replys ak hunt, and pro taxi.
    i'll get some pics up sometime soon.