Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ****** ********** Taxidermy Black Bear rug review

Thumbs down ****** ********** Taxidermy Black Bear rug review

On memorial day 2011 I shot a nice 6+ sow up in fairbanks thanks to a help of a forum member on here and his excellent hospitality. The bear was dropped at 1:47AM and within a hour was already at the house on the table being skinned and butchered. As soon as the hide was removed it was chilled to prevent slippage and I started my trek back to Anchorage. After arriving home I spoke to a few taxidermists and after speaking with ***** at ****** ********** I went that route (mistake #1 not doing full research on the person taking control of my trophy). early the next morning I delivered the rug and placed my deposit. ***** assured me the rug would be done before thanksgiving so I would be able to enjoy it prior to departing to Afghanistan for deployment. Over the months we exchanged a few emails and I was trying to see how the rug was turning out. It took a act of god (me posting a has anyone seen this guy thread on this forum) before I actually received more fluent contact with *****. June rolls around the rug is due to be finished and shipped (took about 2 weeks longer to ship than he originally told me), many threats were made as well about removing my thread on this site trying to scare me by saying he was going to sue me for slander, contact the JBER post commander and CSM the list goes on (I have the emails if anyone is honestly interested in reading through the babble). Finally the rug ships and arrives in Seattle (sent to a family members house as my wife and I were both deployed). 2 weeks later my wife arrives in Alaska and the rug is sent back up with my daughter on her flight up.

Last night my wife decided to send me photos of the rug (she was reluctant as she knows I was concerned with the quality after all the fiascos we had with *****). upon opening the emails that had the photos my jaw dropped. ***** had told me in a email that the hide had some "slight" slippage that occurred at the tannery but he successfully repaired it and it looked great and all his customers felt the same way. When I saw the hide my gut went sour and I honestly felt like I had been raked over hot coals. So according to ***** a area about 6x6 and a area of about 1 inch by 2 inches is "slight" slippage and his idea of repairs it (i see no signs of repair honestly) looks wretched. I honestly am so upset by this I will not be hanging this wonderful animal on my wall and am now looking at other options (half rugging it or possibly finding another company that can repair it).

Here are the photos of what "quality" is to *****.

sorry for the poor quality photos (taken by my wifes cell phone).

Now the question is do you know of any taxidermist who would feel comfortable patching the areas that are now balding like a middle aged lawyer?

Also here are a few emails from ****** about the slippage.

Jul 12
    to me

Ryan I told you we were shutting down for two weeks.
    Tuesday when I woke my left eye had an infection. Today I'm working and mailing your package.
    I will have a tracking number shortly.
    Please understand I gave your bear the same attention to detail I give all clients. I'm happy with it as is all my clients who have seen it. I placed the largest rug shell for black bears there is.
    There were a couple areas where the fur slipped but was able to patch nicely.
    The skull turned our nicely also with no residue left from fat nor any tooth crack age.
    I will email again later with the info.

Ryan Libby
    Jul 12
    to *****

So then *****, how many patches of fur slipped as you had the bear at your shop the day after it was killed and it had been cooled literally an hour after it was shot and skinned. It just seems odd as 2 weeks ago you said it would ship on wed. now we are sitting further into the month and it still has not shipped. My wife will be back in AK in 2 weeks so just refund the shipping and I will have my rear D commander come pick it up and hold it for me.

Jul 12
    to me

Ryan the bear is shipped.
    The slippage was due to whatever reason through the tanning phase which I have no control. It was a typical slippage we see on the occasion. It covered and it is not visible.
    I was going to offer assistance in a drop off hunt for caribou off the hall road in the future if your interested. I own partnership in a plane up there in happy valley out of Deadhorse.

Ryan Libby
    Jul 13
    to *****

Well ***** I do hope it turned out as you say I would hate to hang a bear that looks like a aging 50 yr old redneck with a balding pattern.

Jul 13
    to me

The bear will get you compliments for many years. Guaranteed.
    Hunts aren't cheap. But I can get you dropped off on a caribou hunt. You just have to get there.
    Last edited by Brian M; 08-16-2012 at 22:34.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

yikes to say I would be pissed would be an understatement. A refund or even partial refund is out of the question since he seems to believe that is quality work and whats up with him trying to sell you a bou' hunt did you ask about it or is he trying some unsolicited sales pitch.

honestly he wouldnt want me on a bird with him.. or I would have his hide hanging on my wall. I am very tempted to take a trip down to whittier in 3 weeks to stop by and say hello...

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

OK , Now that we are on the forum I can talk on without getting chewed out by a mod.

One of the reasons that you can see the thin areas is he did not even try to blend in the flanks & any other showing spots.

Goes to show what kind of Proffessionalism was performed.

Secondly he is full of garbage about the Common slipping that occurs.

I can Guarantee I have not had Any slipping, Ever from a 24 hour old killed bear.

Just an excuse he is hopeing you will swallow & go away.

The backing was sewed on VERY POORLY. It also looks like the backing was Too small & he sewed it on anyway, Thats why it is so Puckered & Bunched under the skin.

The Head & Mouth detail , Even from the poor quality photos is poor to say the least.

Yes all of it can be fixed & Relatively easy BY A COMPITENT TAXIDERMIST .

I have had Issues with ***** LONG time ago before he had his ordeal in Palmer with the cops.

He tries to Tee you off , Then he calls the cops & you get a call saying to leave him alone.

Anyways.

If you will ship me your bear to my Fairbanks Studio, I will Fix this mess for FREE. Including the mouth detail.

The backing my wife can look at to see what can be done.

This I am offering for 2 reasons,

First is I am Thankfull for all you guys & gals helping us protect our country.

Secondly because ***** is a Piece of work & VERY BAD for the taxidermy industry.

RJ Simington
    541 281 7201
    Last edited by Brian M; 08-16-2012 at 22:35.

RJ I am floored by your offer and you just made a Soldiers day that is for sure! I will have my wife get things in order or may have a buddy from base drive it up there to ya if you dont mind. I will hopefully have a caribou for you to do a shoulder mount on this year (if i get lucky) if not I will be using your services 100% of the time. As well as let everyone i hunt with know about your business practices. You sir are a true business man. I respect you and am grateful that you are willing to help me with this.

God Bless

My Pleasure.

RJ Simington
    541 281 7201 My CEll #

Thanks RJ you mind if I give you a call before I bed down (its 848am here)

Also the skull that was supposed to be shipped with the rug from ***** but that still has yet to arrive.
    Last edited by Brian M; 08-16-2012 at 22:36.

Guys, I really hate to do it, but I had to edit out the names of the taxidermist and his business in accordance with our forum rules. If anyone would like to know who the business in question was, please send a PM to NhraFox.

So apparently the mods do not want me to write a review to include the companies name so IF you want to know what taxidermist this is feel free to PM me and I will be glad to share EVERYTHING i have including all the email traffic from the owner.

Yes, We are still up , or you can call tomorrow.

RJ Simington

Thank you for posting all this information. Lots of "Wow!" I hope things work out.

Very kind of you RJ.... Very nice,

NHRAFox, you probably dont want your skull anyway.. looking at the pic of it on the other thread it looks to have been boiled. . I cant see any of the inner nasal bone structure... the stuff that looks like a honey comb).. Appears to have been boiled, and if so, the grease is literally baked right into the bone.. making it very difficult to remove.. which surely has to be done before the bleaching procces..

Hoytguy

yah hoyt sadly i still would like to keep it around just due to the fact it had a 18 3/8 skull

Well stumbled across a email form a forum member when I was having issues with the "owner" a few months back and was lucky enough to be given the owners Probation Officers contact info. I have since sent 3 emails to ***** requesting input on the situation and possible refund so I can pay RJ for the services he will be performing. If all else fails I will just contact Officer Tozer of the APD and see if she has any info that would assist in serving him paperwork when I get back to the state also since he still has the skull I will be filing with F&G to report that as well. I honestly wish I was able to post up some of the email chatter I received from this guy but I really do not need to bring that much negativity to this forum. Thank you all for the help and kind words it is greatly appreciated to see the support this forum has offered.
    Last edited by Brian M; 08-17-2012 at 12:36.

Well logged in to see some lovely emails from the company with more open threats about how he is contacting my commanding officers (I am not worried about this and rather amused by his scare tactics). Claiming Slander and such here is a small quote from him "You go ahead and do what you have to do. Then I will react and show you how I'm fed up with your lies and attitude.
    I have planned on any further situations with you to involve your commanding officers" This is the type of email traffic I have received from him in the past and yet again it happened this morning. Luckily my chain of command is backing me on this 110% as they are mostly all very avid hunters and have seen the runaround I have been given. More to follow as things continue down the dark path he has set himself on.

Default ****** ********** Taxidermy Black Bear rug review

I mean this with complete respect but what is the point of airing this here?

You got the rug, everyone knows he's a ******....Now what?

Again, no disrespect, I'd be unhappy as well!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

What would give any business a right to call somebody's boss(es) to complain of such a thing. Sounds like a butt kickin would be in order.....

I would like a PM on the name of the business......and the owner too.

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    If you will ship me your bear to my Fairbanks Studio, I will Fix this mess for FREE. Including the mouth detail.

The backing my wife can look at to see what can be done.

This I am offering for 2 reasons,

First is I am Thankfull for all you guys & gals helping us protect our country.

Secondly because ***** is a Piece of work & VERY BAD for the taxidermy industry.

RJ Simington
    541 281 7201
    RJ, next time I need some trophies done you have a new customer! You're a class act.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Default ****** ********** Taxidermy Black Bear rug review

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    RJ, next time I need some trophies done you have a new customer! You're a class act.
    +1 definitely a noble act to help him out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast