Thread: Target Shooting Laws & Rules

Default Target Shooting Laws & Rules

I am going down to Anchor Point this weekend to have our yearly family camping trip to my Father-in-laws property. Gonna do some halibut and silver fishing. Also, he said that it would be OK to do a little target and plinking on his property. He has said that he's had other visitors come and do the same and no Leo's or neighbors have complained. I just want to make sure that it's legal. He lives on around 5 acres with the main sterling highway about a quarter to a third of a mile away from where I'd be shooting at. He also lives just outside of city limits. I'd be shooting in a make shift gravel pit so I'd have a good backstop. There aren't any man made structures, ie houses or buildings of any kind within at least 500 or so feet from the intended gravel pit where I'd be shooting from. What do you guys think? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks👍

Sounds like an ideal place to do some shooting. Unless laws have changed greatly since I left the state, it is legal very common around the state.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Sounds like you've got all the bases covered for wise shooting,

Should be cool with about any Alaskan I can think of
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

We live in similar settings and have evolved a system. We check in with all the neighbors to make sure they know it's us shooting and to see if there's a better time of day. No issues, and it's a courtesy we exchange back and forth. If your FIL doesn't know the neighbors well enough to make the courtesy call, I'd at least confine shooting hours to a time of day when you aren't going to cause problems for any night shift workers or napping kids. Five acres isn't a lot where sound is concerned. All in the name of continued neighborhood harmony. No sense inspiring anyone to try and get restrictions in place when simple courtesy can work better long term.

Yeah, My FIL has a good relationship with the neighbors around his property and he's already told me that he has let them know that we're gonna be doing some plinking on his property. The area that he lives in, his neighbors live in Anchorage or other bigger cities so their property in Anchor Point is more of a second retreat property of theirs. So it's not always occupied but I do understand that's it's good sportsman courtesy to talk to them before hand. Thanks👍

Sounds like a lock, to me. Have a great time! Nothing like casual plinking with family.

Not withstanding city ordinances governing shooting and noise control, the two statutes that could possibly cover target shooting are:

Alaska Stat. 11.61.110. : Alaska Statutes - Section 11.61.110.: Disorderly conduct.

(a) A person commits the crime of disorderly conduct if,

(1) with intent to disturb the peace and privacy of another not physically on the same premises or with reckless disregard that the conduct is having that effect after being informed that it is having that effect, the person makes unreasonably loud noise;

(b) As used in this section, "noise" is "unreasonably loud" if, considering the nature and purpose of the defendant's conduct and the circumstances known to the defendant, including the nature of the location and the time of day or night, the conduct involves a gross deviation from the standard of conduct that a reasonable person would follow in the same situation. "Noise" does not include speech that is constitutionally protected.

AND/OR

Alaska Stat. 11.61.210. : Alaska Statutes - Section 11.61.210.: Misconduct involving weapons in the fourth degree.

(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fourth degree if the person

(3) discharges a firearm with reckless disregard for a risk of damage to property or a risk of physical injury to a person under circumstances other than those described in AS 11.61.195(a)(3)(A);

So, assuming you are on your own property, as long as the noise isn't bothering anyone and you are shooting into a back stop that doesn't have a high probability of ricochets then you are most likely good to go.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

In my opinion the Cops can if they choose give a "Noise Violation" ticket. A.22LR is one thing, a few hundred rounds from a AR-15 is another thing. If they show-up they will want to see that you are firing in a "Safe Direction". I shoot a lot on my property, I have a 175 yard range, with a shooting barn & 12' high berm, but unless I am very slow firing the AR's for sight-in, I take them down to the public gravel pit. Just my opinion.

And the disorderly conduct statute says you have to be informed the noise is bothering someone, so you should get a warning the first time you are contacted.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Yeah, I'm only taking my Springfield XD 9mm, Ruger sr22, and Savage 64 .22lr down there. We'll be shooting mostly the 22's and the make shift gravel pit has a at least 9 foot high 5 foot thick backstop berm. And the gravel pit is in a gulley itself. And past that is about 400 yards of open field. So if you count the gravel pit wall and the gulley, there's almost no possible way that any rounds can go further than the gulley unless I'm almost shooting straight up. As far as the neighbors, I talked with my FIL and he has already contacted 2 neighbors out of the 3 cause the third one is on the slope working his 2 week shift. Worse case scenario is that at least I'll get a warning first if the noise is too loud but I don't intend to shoot past dusk anyway. Thanks guys for all the info I just want to have all the bases covered before I start shooting👍

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Earlier this month, we were camping at the Russian River and some jacknut decided it would be a good idea to do some shooting from the campground (King Salmon or Silver Salmon loop). Over the course of an hour or so, they went through 200 rounds, in 25 round increments. Don't know about the leaglity of whole deal, but I can tell you that the last thing I want to put up with while trying to have a relaxing time with my family at a campground is some idiot who feels the need to shoot the place up. Dogs were freaked out, kids couldn't ride their bikes, I **** sure wasn't about to go for a walk etc. etc.