Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose estimation data

Default Moose estimation data

The "Is he legal?" conversation got me thinking about the assumption of 10" across the eyes.

Would those of you who kill bulls this season be willing to take note of the actual width of their face across the eyes (outside of eyeball to outside of eyeball) and report that here?

Curious to see how the rule-o-thumb compares to reality.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Default Moose estimation data

That's a great idea. Will do if I kill one. Should be an interesting conversation for the winter.

Thanks,
    I was thinking if we can get at least a dozen (more is better) guys to measure and report we can get a more accurate average. Maybe draw some correlations between rack size and skull size. Does a bull's skull reach max width as a 2-3 year old spike-fork or does it keep growing until...?

Ive always been told that the ears are a good 6-8", so it would be good to know a good average for the eyes. If we get lucky this ear i will defenitly take a measurment and let you guys know.

Quote Originally Posted by joebut1985 View Post
    Ive always been told that the ears are a good 6-8", so it would be good to know a good average for the eyes. If we get lucky this ear i will defenitly take a measurment and let you guys know.
    I heard that too but I was thinking the larger the fixed "yard stick" the fewer times it needs to be multiplied in your calculation, and therefore less likely to result in a serious error.

I'll do it too if we are fortunate enough to get a moose. It's a great idea.

count me in, will be herded back up in 2 weeks!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Count me in too... assuming I actually remember
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Eric, if this holds true at 10" oseb to oseb, how can that be determined over distance? Brow tines I can understand, but distance between the eyes? I will do so too though for you if one is obtained this year. I will say though, I have noticed that the skull forms bigger on larger animals, some of them have been 70"+. The overall head was much larger on these animals that a common 50" er.
    BTW I try to stay away from ladies that are too wide between the eyeballs. They are missing something. I wonder if that applies to Moose? LOL

Surprised no one has mentioned a solid measure is between antler base where bone meets hair between lateral line of beams(nose pointed towards ground) 7 inches on 50 + conservative

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by TundraT View Post
    Surprised no one has mentioned a solid measure is between antler base where bone meets hair between lateral line of beams(nose pointed towards ground) 7 inches on 50 + conservative
    Absolutely no way!!!!! I'm looking at one on the wall right now, measures 7 1/2 inches between the burrs, 41 inches wide overall.

Quote Originally Posted by justjeff View Post
    Eric, if this holds true at 10" oseb to oseb, how can that be determined over distance? Brow tines I can understand, but distance between the eyes? I will do so too though for you if one is obtained this year. I will say though, I have noticed that the skull forms bigger on larger animals, some of them have been 70"+. The overall head was much larger on these animals that a common 50" er.
    BTW I try to stay away from ladies that are too wide between the eyeballs. They are missing something. I wonder if that applies to Moose? LOL
    Jeff,
    To be honest I'm not sure how much variation there might be in skull widths. A 60" or 70" bull is obvious, so is one in the mid 40's or less which is why I'm primarily curious about bulls in the 48" to 52" range since they cause the most frustration. I read tlingitwarrior's posts and he raises an interesting point about the ears clearing the inside of the rack. My personal hesitation for that is the ears move while the skull does not (relative to the antlers) but he is a more experience moose hunter than I am.

As far as estimating rack width based on skull width? If (big word, if) the OEB to OEB distance is 10" then IF the rack from one eye to its widest point is twice the width of the skull that puts him right at 50". IF he appears wider than that then he's probably legal with room to spare. This assumes he has a reasonably symetrical rack. For bulls with injured or deformed racks I would make my decision to shoot/don't shoot decision based on the shorter antler to be safe.

It's a reference to measure on a questionable bull, in a picture or video you shot of said questionable bull, not sure what that has to do
    with your 41 "er

It's a reference to measure on a questionable bull, in a picture or video you shot of said questionable bull, not sure what that has to do
    with your 41 "er
    You said that 7 inches between the burrs would be a 50 inch bull conservatively. I simply provided info contrary to that. No big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    You said that 7 inches between the burrs would be a 50 inch bull conservatively. I simply provided info contrary to that. No big deal.
    I said that 7" was a conservative unit of measure for a 50+ no big deal

I do have to say that last year we shot a 47" with 4 brow tines and the mass of the antlers was significantly smaller than a prevouse moose that was taken that measured 52". I always like to watch the moose for along time if it is questionable and if i can take a picture of it and measure off of that than that is alway better. I have to be certian where i hunt or should say used to hunt there, becuase there are a lot of small bulls running around everywhere.

I do have to say that last year we shot a 47" with 4 brow tines and the mass of the antlers was significantly smaller than a prevouse moose that was taken that measured 52". I always like to watch the moose for along time if it is questionable and if i can take a picture of it and measure off of that than that is alway better. I have to be certian where i hunt or should say used to hunt there, becuase there are a lot of small bulls running around everywhere.

I said that 7" was a conservative unit of measure for a 50+ no big deal
    My bad, I read it the other way around

Understand that the any of the "ideas"/ measurements are a good basic guideline, but as I said in the other thread, once a bulls horns have atrophied.....all bets are off. You can have all the distance here or there, or between wherever you want, but if the palms aren't there, there's a good chance he won't make 50".

This is why I continue to use the broadside view approach. If a bull is standing perfectly broadside and looking at you, if the PALMS cover the hump, he is at least 50". Note I say the PALMS....not the points. If the palms cover the hump, and the points go beyond, then this is just added assurance.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Understand that the any of the "ideas"/ measurements are a good basic guideline, but as I said in the other thread, once a bulls horns have atrophied.....all bets are off. You can have all the distance here or there, or between wherever you want, but if the palms aren't there, there's a good chance he won't make 50".

This is why I continue to use the broadside view approach. If a bull is standing perfectly broadside and looking at you, if the PALMS cover the hump, he is at least 50". Note I say the PALMS....not the points. If the palms cover the hump, and the points go beyond, then this is just added assurance.

We're giving tips on measuring width of moose in pictures. My tip is based on moose killed. Now field judging
    is a different story. Usually your gut instinct prevails despite sweating over pulling the trigger on a 50. I've
    seen/heard more than one right at 50 w/o tines and more than one sub 50 on the ground. I'ts a tough call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast