Thread: halibut rigs

Default halibut rigs

Ok guys, just wonder what you all do for your halibut rigs. Me, I vary them.
    I tie up some plan hook
    I use the varies tubbing glow, red, green
    I put the largest kenai corkie on.
    A 10 inch curly tail grub just above the hook.
    b-2 squid
    Alaskan Bowhunters Association
    President
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK 99502

Default Halibut hype...

The best presentions I have researched are those that use a combination of rubber attractor (hoochies), olfactory tease (stink oil), visual stimualtion (electronic flasher), and cut bait. These are all combined into a singular set-up with devestating results.

Tony Davis of Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle manufactures this item and has knocked them up to 170 lbs.

http://www.alaskanauthor.com
    http://www.electronicfishinglures.com

weight
    circle hook
    meat
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default halibut jigs

grouper jig
    uncle josh pork strips(steeped in herring oil)
    baby octopus
    sharp filet knife/hot oil/beer batter/tums

uncle josh pork, never thought of that.
    President
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK 99502

I've used the traditional weighted circle hook and bait, leadhead jigs with grub tails or scampi tails, fish type jigs ie wilson dart, crippled hearing and diamond jigs. The all work.

I don't think there is one best setup, but I personally prefer to fish jigs. If you're anchored, you can run a chum bag down on the anchor and then jig, or if drifting, have one rod fish bait, and jig another rod.

I've caught halibut solely with a jig with no scent and no other rods being fished, so you don't have to have a scent to catch fish. Scents are useful for bringing the fish to where you are, but if you are fishing right over them, no scent is needed.

Default i like

big jigs or salmon heads on a circle hook.

I was told that using a black or dark color jig will get you better results than a white color jig? True?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    I was told that using a black or dark color jig will get you better results than a white color jig? True?
    I used a chartuse and a green jig and it work awsome.
    President
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK 99502

I like fishing a variety of rigs, and I usually have better luck with white and other bright colors vs. the darker colors.

When anchored, I usually have a few rods with circle hooks and herring. The bait rods do a good job of producing a scent trail, and inexperienced fishers seem to have an easier time catching fish with a circle hook. I like to use 400 or 500 pound mono leaders. They are stiff enough to prevent twisting, like ganion line can, and you've got something that won't cut your hands when you handle it to remove a fish.

I like to run a few jig rods to generate movement in the bait spread as well. Metal jigs like the Stinger or Crippled Herring work well. You can't run them in a heavy tide current, and you increase the risk of catching yellow eye (something I try and avoid), but it sure is fun reeling up halibut on lightweight tackle. I like white, chrome, and the metalic green colors.

Sixteen or 24 ounce lead heads with 8" Berkeley Power Grubs are also a favorite of mine, and they handle the current better than the metal jigs. I also catch fewer rockfish with the big jigs. I have caught fish on every color of Power Bait, but white seems to produce the best for me. When running the big jigs, it's very important to keep the slack out of the line. With slack in the line, a fish can throw a jig pretty easily.

I went out of Valdez once and a guy was doing real good running 24 ounce jigs with rubber bodies but he was trailing a very large treble hook. He and his partner were jigging while the other 4 of us fished the circle hooks. Needless to say it was a good day the 4 of us fishing circle hooks caught our two a piece between 25-45 lbs each. He and his partner caught fish between 70-125lbs. He was also using the head and entrails of sockeye which he dipped from the Copper River the day prior, he was jigging a huge amount of bait but he did very well. As far as getting the treble hooks out of the Halibut, well he managed to get them out on two fish but the others he would just leave the jig in and take care of it when he filleted the fish at the dock. He was a great guy to fish with and since he gets out a couple times a week when we got back he gave 1/2 of his 125 halibut which was awesome.

How many other people fish entire salmon carcasses including the heads?

This guy did great and seemed to know what he was doing.

We were fishing with Norther Comfort Charters (great operation).

Another suggestion when jigging with super braided line, is to use a 300-500# mono leader 2-3 feet long for handling the fish at the boat. I put a 4/0 corkscrew swivel on the end of my main line, and rig the leader with a 4/0 barrel swivel on one end, and another 4/0 corkscrew swivel on the other end. Makes swapping gear super fast, and I can change over to a bait rig if I desire.

Another thing you can do is use a teaser about 2' from the jig, this can be a small grub, hootchie, b2, etc and I typically put them on a 10/0 gamakatsu. If you're running two hooks on your jig, you can't run the teaser.

We mix it up a bit while fishing. Some of us use jigs and the wife likes bait.
    I make my own circle hook rigs using the crimping tool and circle hooks with the correct hardware. Last year I stated crimping on a 6 inch leader on the top swivel and adding a big J hook with a plastic jig on it. My theory was if I lost the bait the fish may hit the jig.
    90% of the halibut we caught last year and a few huge lings were all caught on the top jig hook. Sometimes there was still herring or a salmon head still on the circle hook.
    Peyton, Colorado

Lots of good techniques you folks have. I'll use a bunch of things including the fake squid bodies. The heavy Mono works fine with a jig and trailing hook with electric light. But if I'm just running bait I'll use Ganion Line with whatever size hook I need. I'll soak my Ganion Line in Herring oil and put a attractant light on it also.

When you are anchored and use both bait rigs and jigs of course the jigs will catch most of the fish. The baitfisherman are attracting the halibut with scent and once in the area they see the moving jigs and the jig fisherman are catching them, keep that in mind the next time you are on a charter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait 1 View Post
    When you are anchored and use both bait rigs and jigs of course the jigs will catch most of the fish. The baitfisherman are attracting the halibut with scent and once in the area they see the moving jigs and the jig fisherman are catching them, keep that in mind the next time you are on a charter.
    Hey, don't give away the secret! It's all I use when I go out on an charter anymore. Usually have my limit before anyone else. Say, isn't May just around the corner???
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

In the past I would of never gave jigging for halibut a chance but since I bought my boat I gave it a chance and now im hooked. I can not belive how much more I out fished bait.
    President
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK 99502

Default The jig's up...

I was jigging a 1.5 pound lead-headed hula out of Kodiak one season and the strike was so severe it knocked me to the deck. Needless to say, "I lost it!"

http://www.alaskanauthor.com