Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DCUA Opening Day RAM!!!

Default DCUA Opening Day RAM!!!

DCUA Doug SHEEP-58.jpgRam shot on opening day 2012,
    During the 16 hour pack ride from the Airstrip, I climbed up and over a ridge 4500' in elevation and 8 miles as the crow flies through alder hell and a nasty one handed, Rock River, side hilling adventure. My buddy Mike and I had glassed 14 legal sheep in that time but nothing I wanted to put my tag on. Finally after miles, I spot a sheep on the hill side 600 yards from the river bottom and all by his lonesome. My buddy is looking through the spotter and I ask "how's he look mike?" He said "Iím not sure if thatís a shooter, what do you think?" I peered down the spotter as he turned for a perfect look and it took me 1/2 a second to decide this is definitely a sheep I wanted. He had really good character on his heavily broom side and was definitely more than full curl on his lamp tip side. I was sitting one whole day before the opening staring and praying he wouldnít move from his high mountain pedestal. 4 AM has finally shown on my watch and it takes no time to look outside the tent and see my prayers were answered and he was bedded where I left him the night before@ 11 PM. I crossed a glacial river that was up to my waist and finally made it to the other side with heavy current that just about tipped into a rapid river. I had no intentions of falling in a Glacier River @ 4 in the morning but there's was absolutely no other crossing on the whole entire river stretch. I hiked up a rocky ridge for an hour and half and took my time carving through the rocky chutes and big rock Scree fields. I finally got to where I felt I was above the ram and gentle peered over the tip of the rock with my bino's and saw he was right there! 167 yards my Leica Geovids read! Okay this moment has come; you've practiced to 400 yards confidently and know this should be an easy shot. I settle in and to my astonishment the sun was so in my face! I couldnít see through the scope! Moments of panic overwhelm me before I calm my nerves and realize I turned my scope to full power and my field of view was narrow. I crank the scope down to the lowest setting and settle back in to a ram thatís feeding away from me. BINGO I CAN SEE! Please, please, please turn! Finally he stood full broadside again..... I settle the corsairs and had a perfect rest and watch my bullet fly. Boom! Direct hit through the vitals and he stiffened up his feet and entire body hunched. I was thinking just fall over where you are, NOPE! He fell 400 Ft in elevation and landed in the alder patch below the rock. After two hours, very nervous hours, I spent wondering and searching to where I thought he fell. After realizing the country looked far different from this angle I decided we needed to search for the original shot were I hit him and followed the blood trail down. The ridge I hit him on were his rock pedestal stool was unmistakable. The exact spot were I hit him the first time was roughly 50 yards areas around the rock were it has very hard to find. Mike started going back to search where I originally shot from and he got 70 yards before I yelled "MIKE I FOUND IT!" We followed the massive blood trail I'll never forget when I got to see him face down in the alders! After all the anticipation nervousness of not finding him I had to lay my hands on him. 9 years old, Carries his mass all the way through his horns and broomed heavy on one side! Heís got 12" basses and has even heavier horns that he carries through his curl, 34" on his tip side and 26" of broomed on the other. He lam tips are not long but boy do I love how the mass just carries his horns. The hike in and out was brutal, worst drainage I have ever been by far! Alder hell, 30 hours of packing with 70+ pounds one handed side hilling river rock, relaying trips of gear and meat/cape/horns AFTER ALL THOUGH, ITS ALL WORTH IT!

Doug SHEEP-52.jpg
    Broomed and Tiped side view

broomer.jpgSkull Plate View of his broomed Side

My buddy Had a Tag too and he connected as well, Write up and story to come>>>

Congratulations!! That is a beautiful Ram!

BADASS! Great story. I'd say in the 2nd post, you look like the happiest dude in the world!

Congrats Doogie!

Nice ram!

Now for the post-game assessment--gear, what worked, what didn't, refinements for future hunts etc. etc.

Q: Nose cut from the tumble?
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Sheep meat Campfire..jpg Sheep Meat Campfire...ummm, umm GOOD!

Default DCUA Opening Day RAM!!!

Very cool ram

Awesome! Did he break his nose up in the fall?
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Love the sheep reports!! Congrats on a hard earned Ram.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Yes He busted up his nose pretty Good! Worst part of it all is that after 5 1/2 hours of caping some critter crawled 6' up in an alder tore down the biggest alder i could find and ate the nose and upper mouth! Best part of cape is ruined...Only Horrible part of the whole trip.

That is a great ram and one heck of a hunt! Sorry to hear about the loss of your cape.

Love the fire and meat photo. I know we sure enjoyed a warm fire and hot sheep meat after days of cold camping.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Sorry to hear about the cape. Thats a fine mature ram. Good-on-ya for the excellent effort. It's almost a shame for DCUA to get promoted so much, I sure would like to draw that one again.

Congrats doogiehauz!! he does have some thickness. i can see why you chose him. The toughest part of the hunt can be trying to guess what that rams gonna do after you send the heat.

Nice choice in executing the hunt. Get on 'em early and be very precise about getting close without being busted. Very cool to come up behind them with out them knowing, very sneaky!

Too bad about the cape. There's always the euro route. Those look pretty sweet.

Post more pics if you got'em. Pleeze

Doug SHEEP-26.jpgDoug SHEEP-40.jpgplease please be there in the AM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast