Thread: How to tie off slab jigs

Default How to tie off slab jigs

Picked up a few various sized slab jigs to experiment with jigging for salmon and halibut. I've always been an all-bait type halibut fisherman before. In the instructions for most the jigs, for example butterfly jigs like this, it says to tie the line DIRECTLY to the lure. They recommend not using a swivel of any kind. I assume they want you to rig it this way so the swivel doesn't dampen the action on the lure?

This creates a problem. Halibut are big teethy creatures and could easily saw through my braided line if I tie my jigs directly. I currently run crimped heavy mono leaders which I snap on between my mainline and lures which buffer the halibut abuse.

Can anyone with experience running slab jigs chime in with their two cents on how they like to tie them off?

Put a short topshot of mono on your spectra. I've used uni knots, but there are better connections. Google is your friend here.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFishTerminator View Post
    Picked up a few various sized slab jigs to experiment with jigging for salmon and halibut. I've always been an all-bait type halibut fisherman before. In the instructions for most the jigs, for example butterfly jigs like this, it says to tie the line DIRECTLY to the lure. They recommend not using a swivel of any kind. I assume they want you to rig it this way so the swivel doesn't dampen the action on the lure?

This creates a problem. Halibut are big teethy creatures and could easily saw through my braided line if I tie my jigs directly. I currently run crimped heavy mono leaders which I snap on between my mainline and lures which buffer the halibut abuse.

Can anyone with experience running slab jigs chime in with their two cents on how they like to tie them off?
    I will post a couple pictures for you this evening...and yes a leader is your friend.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

This is the normal rigging that works great with the Williams Vortex verticle jig. The Sampo swivel allows it to spin at a high rate of speed in the current so your input for action is minimal. I feel this particular jig allows for more strikes as the lure can stay at rest longer and still be attractive. Just a generic leader with the standard corkscrew style swivel in the picture but I usually use a lighter leader with a large Sampo or P-Line bearing swivel to get the job done. BTW, the assist hooks are great compared to hooks on the bottom of the jig for at few reasons...first it gets fish that don`t commit to the lure, second it doesn`t hang bottom easily, and you tend to lip/jaw hook the fish...rarely down the throat.

A closer shot...

And what I use the most when the above isn`t working for some reason...7 oz. Candy Bar

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Appreciate the input. So under this setup are you less active with your manual jigging action on the rod... letting the current do the work?

Also, from the picture it appears your sampo swivel is attached to your Vortex with a solid, not spit ring. how did you do that? Weld the ring yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFishTerminator View Post
    Also, from the picture it appears your sampo swivel is attached to your Vortex with a solid, not spit ring. how did you do that? Weld the ring yourself?
    I have the same question.. that looks like a solid.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

The Vortex jig comes rigged with that swivel...hence the name...made to spin. The same can be done with the others using a split ring though. Because it can spin the jig doesn't require as much input. Some jigs have little action and a swivel can help them flutter more with just short lifts

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Default braided leader for halibut

A lot of times I will use a blood knot to add about 10 feet of the old white with green spot braid line, 130 lb. it is tough enough to handle the halibut teeth. I add this leader to my tufline. Using the blood knot lets you reel it onto your reel and get the fish out of the water. The braid works well for toothy fish and in and around the rocks.