Thread: Proxy hunting - (can the disabled proxy hunt for the abled?)

Default Proxy hunting - (can the disabled proxy hunt for the abled?)

I have a couple of friends (residents, non-veteran, age>21) that are wheel chair bound. I received one of those Unit 13 draw caribou tags and would like one of them to use the tag if it is legal. I checked out the proxy hunting requirements… and would think my friends are sufficiently disabled (yep, it would need to be confirmed by the doctor); and that I would be able to proxy hunt for them if they had the tag. Question is, would it be legal for one of them to (proxy hunt) using my tag?

are you over 60? If yes, then I think so. Check w/ADF&G first, though.
    emrdux

You should read the regulations

emrdux. Thanks as I had overlooked that approach.

Quote Originally Posted by highgear View Post
    You should read the regulations
    You are entirely correct...and thanks for that. From what I've read, I just asked them to put in for a Tier (or draw caribou tag) for next year. I could then help the successful applicants with transportation and with their meat care.

Quote Originally Posted by emrdux View Post
    are you over 60? If yes, then I think so. Check w/ADF&G first, though.
    emrdux
    Correction, he would have to be over 65, not 60.

They could only hunt for you if you qualified as diabled or over 65 years of age. It doesn't work both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Correction, he would have to be over 65, not 60.

They could only hunt for you if you qualified as disabled or over 65 years of age. It doesn't work both ways.
    No worries as I'm not >60 or >65. Just thought I would ask as for youth, "Big game taken by a hunter under 10 is counted against the bag limit of the adult supervising the hunt." I was hoping the laws would be equally as generous for our disabled hunter over the age of 10; but since it doesn't appear that they could legally use my tag, we'll wait to see what opportunities are available next year!

Does anyone know the penalty for hunting in GMU 13 with out taking the hunters education course?

Quote Originally Posted by akrhino View Post
    Does anyone know the penalty for hunting in GMU 13 with out taking the hunters education course?
    No penalty since it isn't required unless you are under 16 years old. Page 13 of the hunting regs: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...fs/general.pdf

It is required if you were born after Jan. 1, 1986. That's why im wondering if theres a fine or penalty if you do hunt with out completing the course.

Quote Originally Posted by akrhino View Post
    It is required if you were born after Jan. 1, 1986. That's why im wondering if theres a fine or penalty if you do hunt with out completing the course.
    Sorry. Read that as 1996 instead of 1986.

If it is a requirement, then there is going to be some kind of penalty if you don't adhere to it and are caught. Asking about it here ahead of time won't help things if you are caught since plenty of those enforcing these laws read through these posts. I would not recommend hunting if you don't have the class and you fall into the category of those who require it.