Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May be looking to rehome my hunting buddy

Default May be looking to rehome my hunting buddy

Seems the home owners association is mounting an attack on dog owners. I'm doing my best to keep him but it may be in the best interest of my family to find him a new home if the right home comes along. He's a 1.5 yr old KC Registered Yellow Lab, micro chipped, up to date on all shots, and will retrieve all day long. I've worked with him but he would benefit from someone who really knows duck dogs. The ol' boy is sleeping at my feet as I write this, I think he knows something is up. He's great with my 2 yr old and 3 week old sons. I really have mixed emotions about this but fear I won't be much use to my family if I'm sitting in jail over this. I'll know more after the meeting tonight but if you might be interested, shoot me a message and let me know your thoughts.

I have been wanting to get a dog and I don't have to deal with the headache of an HOA fortuntely. I wont be back stateside until October. If you haven't been able to find a home fo rhim by then, let me know and we should be able to work something out.

We had some anchorage trash move into our subdivison in wasilla and they tried to enforce the no riding 4 wheelers or sleds on our street people were like hey this is the valley get used to it LOL. Heck I'm the number 1 violator of that rule lol. Anyhow sorry to hear about the HOA sound like a bunch of no good clowns to me.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan View Post
    Seems the home owners association is mounting an attack on dog owners. I'm doing my best to keep him but it may be in the best interest of my family to find him a new home if the right home comes along. He's a 1.5 yr old KC Registered Yellow Lab, micro chipped, up to date on all shots, and will retrieve all day long. I've worked with him but he would benefit from someone who really knows duck dogs. The ol' boy is sleeping at my feet as I write this, I think he knows something is up. He's great with my 2 yr old and 3 week old sons. I really have mixed emotions about this but fear I won't be much use to my family if I'm sitting in jail over this. I'll know more after the meeting tonight but if you might be interested, shoot me a message and let me know your thoughts.
    Was there ever a ban on dogs to begin with? Seems like a HOA would be hard-pressed to make its members get rid of their dogs. Seems like there could be a ban issued with certain people/pets being grandfathered. I'd find a new neighborhood!

yeah...has to be something out there to support your rights to ownership....drives me crazy with all the SPCA stuff and new laws protecting our fourlegged friends...then this crap is thrown at us...wish I was there. I would take him right now. won't be back until next july. lost my yellow last year after 12 years of chasing ducks...can't imagine having to give her up...I would have moved or raised some serious hell before that happened good luck and hope it works out for the both of you. sad deal for sure.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Good luck man, I could not imagine giving up eithier one of my dogs. If they told me that i'd be in the market for a new house!

When you bought the house, and joined the HOA you signed a agreement to abide by the regulations they had. Read you HOA contract and see if it says no dogs. Most just say no raising dogs, kennels, etc, but allow a limited number. See what it says. I doubt you would have any problem unless maybe the dog is a barker and causing complaints. Get a $100 bark colar, they work wonders. Bud
    Wasilla

I am looking for a dog. Mainly have been looking at upcoming litters, but may consider something like this! Let me know soon if u r serious so we can talk. My father used to take me with him on trips around the field trial circuit when i was younger. I have worked for pro trainers helping them train, and own a retriever myself who is 10 and slowing so....I'm in the market to train a new hunting buddy so when The old man wants to retire to house dog lounging I'll still have a hunting partner.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

It's a waste of time to discuss, just a whole lot of drama that I don't want to deal with. Trust me, I've considered buying a new home but that just isn't an option right now. At this point, I want a better life for him and not make a bigger issue than this already is. There's one potential home for him and if that don't workout then I'll start meeting ya'll on here and see if we can find him a suitable home. Didn't realize how hard this would be, this sucks. I'll keep ya'll posted.

I feel bad for u. I would hate having to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    When you bought the house, and joined the HOA you signed a agreement to abide by the regulations they had. Read you HOA contract and see if it says no dogs. Most just say no raising dogs, kennels, etc, but allow a limited number. See what it says. I doubt you would have any problem unless maybe the dog is a barker and causing complaints. Get a $100 bark colar, they work wonders. Bud

I totally agree. I can not imagine not being allowed to own a dog... now owning a dog that barks runs free etc can be banned but owning a dog or anything for that matter comes with our free society. I am angry for you!!!!

Try and work it out with HOA by a collar whatever it takes it will be better for you and for the dog. Mine is laid out in front of me right now and I think I would blow a gasket if the HOA told me to get rid of her.... the order of priority in the house is wife, dogs(close second, sometimes secretly the dogs are in the lead, then the kids) HA... I laugh but in a way it is the truth. Hang in there, hope it all works out for you I know sometimes arm chair quarterbacking these things is easy but being the actual player is much much harder. We are here for you to vent if needed. I will keep my eyes out for someone looking.

one more thing.... as Bud said read the bilaws and make sure they make it perfectly clear that you must give the dog up. If not worded perfectly and they are interpreting get an attorney most of the time they will back down as the rest of HOA does not want dues to go up and the ring leaders will lose support.....or the "sheep" in the neighborhood will wake up and stop following blindly. Worth looking at ... if you do this you will not be popular but I am not one to care about that. Just another thought of how to handle but as my wife says...I am an ******hole sometimes"

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter8 View Post
    Good luck man, I could not imagine giving up eithier one of my dogs. If they told me that i'd be in the market for a new house!
    +1
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

It's a waste of time to discuss, just a whole lot of drama that I don't want to deal with. Trust me, I've considered buying a new home but that just isn't an option right now. At this point, I want a better life for him and not make a bigger issue than this already is. There's one potential home for him and if that don't workout then I'll start meeting ya'll on here and see if we can find him a suitable home. Didn't realize how hard this would be, this sucks. I'll keep ya'll posted.
    Did you find a home for him or HOPEFULLY it all worked out. If not let me know. I will talk to a buddy of mine today to see if he is still interested in getting a lab. He has wanted one for years but his work schedule has not been where he could get one. That has now changed and think he might be looking again. Makes me angry, sad and sick to even be writing this. I know this is tearing you up, will help how I can.

I've had a lot of offers for homes but I am really having ahard time letting him go. He's been veryattached like he knows something is up. The no ***** answer is he's got to go or I need to find a new home, thesecond is not an option. He's an amazingdog; great with my kids and lying on my feet as I type this. I'd like to rehome him to an active hunterwith property. I will not let him go tosomeone in a townhome or such. I hate tobe so selective but he's a great boy and deserves room to play and someone towork with him. If I have to, I'llcontact the local retriever clubs. He'san above average pedigree, he cost me close to $2K and I think he's worth everypenny but thatís just me. How do you puta price on a friend I'll do my best to pick the right home when his momma getsback in town and can say her good byes. Someone will receive a great companion.

Reading this is painful. I'd like to help but I'm not sure what to do...could someone "borrow" him until you found a place that was ok? Assuming your renting of course? There has to be a loop hole....do you have a replacement home chosen?

Any chance you could post a pic of him? I think we're all getting attached to him now
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Attachment 62540
    Here's a picture of my boy training last October, he's filled out since then. I'm still waiting to hear from a friend if he's going to adopt him or not.

morgan, the pic isnt working.

Man this is tearing me up wish there was another way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast