Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Alaska and need some help

Default New to Alaska and need some help

Hi, my name is Kevin and I am about to return to Fort Rich after a 9 month deployment. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to where some good(close) hunting and fishing is. I have always been an outdoors kinda guy, but this is all new territory for me and I am i need of some help. My main goals are to tag a caribou, some ptarmigan, and to kill as many ducks as possible. As far as fishing I just wanna catch some trout mainly, I mean I have always been a bass man but I realize that there are none in Alaska so whatever I catch is fine. I also want to put out an open invitation to anyone who wants a huntin/fishin buddy, just let me know.

Kdemm89, Email me dirrect & I will give you some places up here in Fairbanks area & others for Hunting.

RJ Simington

protaxidermy@clearwire.net

The lake on base are stocked with trout and are actually pretty good if you hit the right one. Other than that there are multiple stocked lakes in the Anchorage area that are decent fishing. If you want good trout fishing head south to the Kenai, Kasilof, and Anchor rivers for trout, dollies, and steelhead, the die hards fish them all winter long.

Caribou will be over by the time you get home and would be a long drive since you did not get drawn for a Unit 13 caribou permit. Then again if you were interested in an adventure you could always head up north to the Haul Road and hunt caribou up there on skis or snowshoes and sleep in the cab of your truck or car with it running all night to keep you warm.

Moose hunting will be over when you get home except the Ship Creek registration hunt if they have it this year. That starts the end of Oct/Nov.

Black bear will still be open but they will be heading to their dens but you might get lucky and find one cruising around trying to get a few last minute berries in it or anything else it can find.

Small game you have grouse, ptarmigan, ducks, geese, rabbits(hares), etc. Nobody is going to tell you where to go for those in the Anchorage area as there are not that many good spots close by and they are easily over hunted. Ptarmigan can be found on the hillsides above Anchorage if you are willing to put in the foot work! You might pick up a grouse or hare as well while you are stomping around up there.

Your best bet is to spend the winter getting to know some guys or gals that are familiar with hunting in Alaska, pick their brains apart, learn how the drawing permits work and put in for those in Nov/Dec. Go over the regs till you know them inside and out and understand them! Scout some areas out and get out there and hunt.

OK, I sent you an Email. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    The lake on base are stocked with trout and are actually pretty good if you hit the right one. Other than that there are multiple stocked lakes in the Anchorage area that are decent fishing. If you want good trout fishing head south to the Kenai, Kasilof, and Anchor rivers for trout, dollies, and steelhead, the die hards fish them all winter long.

.....Caribou will be over by the time you get home....

.....Moose hunting will be over when you get home....
    What am I missing here......how do you know from reading his post when he was getting home? I thought he just said "I am about to return to Fort Rich....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I get back sept 15th

Remember OPSEC kdemm89......it is punishable by UCMJ!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    Dont go to Facebook then...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Dont go to Facebook then...

Oh I know, we already had to warn our soldiers not to post exact dates on facebook....lo and behold some soldier still posts the exact date of redeployment.....chewed his butt and he deleted the post.

Woulda been more efficient to send a private message, your commentary clued everyone in to what his date meant.

Anyways....
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Woulda been more efficient to send a private message, your commentary clued everyone in to what his date meant.

Anyways....
    Hell half the folks in anchorage have there redeployment dates. The only time my wife didn't know when i was coming home was during oif 1 I called from Baltimore said be home tomorrow she about fell over.

Yeah good luck with that one! Not saying when people redeploy is the biggest joke out there.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    What am I missing here......how do you know from reading his post when he was getting home? I thought he just said "I am about to return to Fort Rich....
    I am in the same unit so I have a god idea when he is getting home and when he will be able to get time off to go hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by kdemm89 View Post
    I get back sept 15th
    You lucky dog, looks like you will get back in time to do some fall bear hunting then but moose season will be a bust like I said in my earlier post.

Anyways....
    Not like the public affairs people don't notify the news crews so they can be there to catch it all on film anyways. Or the fact the unit replacing us leaving stateside is a giveaway?

Anyways....
    He is a new member so the PM wouldnt have worked, and he said right in his post "I get back".......didnt need any commentary to figure that one out.

Yeah good luck with that one! Not saying when people redeploy is the biggest joke out there.
    Oh I know it is a joke....just doing my job as a NCO

Keep posting Kevin. Need what...20 posts before you can be a member with PM ability.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Oh I know it is a joke....just doing my job as a NCO
    Ah man one day I will make points and get promoted to sgt hey bronco I have more points than you.

You lucky dog, looks like you will get back in time to do some fall bear hunting then but moose season will be a bust like I said in my earlier post.
    Moose season in Unit 14 runs to the 25th of September

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast