Thread: Late season Kenai Mountains Caribou

Default Late season Kenai Mountains Caribou

Has anyone hunted the Kenai Mountains Caribou post rut, Nov-Dec?

Yes, people have hunted it. Someone posted the success rates on here sometime back and, if I recall correctly it has been many, many years since a single caribou has been taken from that hunt in December. November might be worth a shot if the snow holds off or if you're on skis, but otherwise it'll be tough. If you really need meat for the freezer, I'd go early and often. If you want an adventure, a ski-based hunt in the Kenai Mountains could be pretty awesome.

Go know while the weather is nice and you don't have to buck the snow!

Would it be at all snowmachine accessible if enough snow? Do you think the caribou would move to lower ground later in the season, or stay high on the wind swept ridges? Accessible up Mystery Creek from the Sterling, or does the gate get locked? Just wondering the best access... May be able to get up there 2nd week of Sept, but next chance will be Thanksgiving week and later. Thanks for any and all tips and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    Would it be at all snowmachine accessible if enough snow? Do you think the caribou would move to lower ground later in the season, or stay high on the wind swept ridges? Accessible up Mystery Creek from the Sterling, or does the gate get locked? Just wondering the best access... May be able to get up there 2nd week of Sept, but next chance will be Thanksgiving week and later. Thanks for any and all tips and suggestions.
    It's open every other year for snow machine, and I don't think this year it's open......but I could be wrong.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The animals typically winter in the American pass area. Used to be called the "American pass" herd.
    Short days is what screws you in the late season.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

The 2012-2013 winter is a non-motorized year on Resurrection Trail. But still a great ski!
    I have also not heard about many caribou taken after the snow flies.

I've hunted it the first half of October when just the tops of the mountains had snow. It was great, if you wanted to know if any bou were in the area you just had to get up a bit so you could glass the snow and look for the highway of caribou tracks over the ridges. Makes it much easier to glass the caribou against the white as well.

Another bonus was that all the underbrush was dead or leafless so you could get up the valleys much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    I've hunted it the first half of October when just the tops of the mountains had snow.
    Don't think the meat was very good though. maybe you got lucky, but generally the rut is taking place then and not a good time to kill a bull if you want good table fare.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!