Thread: thanks to the guy who "Laided" on his horn while I was trying to harvest a moose

Default thanks to the guy who "Laided" on his horn while I was trying to harvest a moose

Well, drew a coveted Chena Road Cow tag...

Went this AM, I was about 20 feet from the road, had a nice 2 yr old heifer lined up ready to harvest- when a gentleman (and I do use the term loosely) drove past honking his truck horn for all he was worth.

Good thing I don't get upset easlily, imagine what could have happened with you interferring with winter meat gathering to someone not so calm whom is carrying a Magnum scoped rifle, as you go past on a straight and level road.

Note: my hunting partner had already pulled our truck well off the roadway, so we were not blocking any traffic.

And it's 5:30 in the AM on opening day.

Well, that's the story of the one that got away this morning, will try again tomorrow morning.

good luck to all you early tag drawers, and here's wishing you don't get interrupted by our friend with the truck horn!

Chris

Some folks are pretty funny... The purpose of that hunt is to harvest animals along the road as I recall to help mitigate moose/vehicle collisions. I wonder if he would berate himself in such a manner if he ran into her with his truck this winter. Clearly smashing her with a 1/2 ton and possibly getting killed in the process is a better option than you taking her home and eating her!

Some people just don't get it! I was down bear hunting on the Pen this spring and stopped to grab a bite. During the conversation with the ~220lb waitress my son mentioned we were bear hunting. She asks "are you hunting... or ROAD hunting with a look of disdain..." I just smiled and said, I am pretty sure roads aren't in season... Looking at her English bulldog physique and guestimating her at about 220 lbs on the hoof I am doubting that she has ever (or at least not recently) scrambled 2 miles and 2500 vertical feet in a vain attempt to get within range of an alpine spring blackie!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Think about the kind of attitude that is required for someone to do something like that and know, it ain't gonna bring him success.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Sorry that your hunt was molested. At least you weren't hundreds of miles away in the middle of nowhere and being buzzed. Look at it this way, Now you don't have all of that nasty, bloody work to do and your back isn't hurting. You should thank them.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Should have got his license # and reported him......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

So I was driving down the Chena Road yesterday morning at about 5:30am and I saw this guy who had pulled his truck over to answer nature's call. I don't think he saw the 2 year old cow that was about to charge and trample him. I hit the horn the whole time I was passing him and luckily the cow ran off and I saved his life.

In all seriousness, that does suck. It's a shame you couldn't get his tag and call him in. That's just ridiculous.

Huh I was up that way Tuesday and weds (ft wainwright ) and I saw these clowns trying to poach a cow on chena road so I laid on the horn, cow moose ran off I was going to turn them until i found out it was a legit hunt. hey my bad...

I drew a cow tag several years ago for the valley and I was "road hunting" near Sutton. I drive past the little Tesero Gas station at the the top of the hill and suddenly a huge cow runs across the road to a little field on someones property. I pull into his driveway and knocked on his door to let him know I had a cow tag and to ask if I could harvest this cow that was on his property. Before he could answer we hear a bunch of tire noise and look out towards the road to see that the cow came back across the road and came very close to being hit by a truck. I quickly jump into my truck and drive across the road to see the cow standing right at the gas pumps! I get my gun out and watch as she slowly starts to head off the property of the gas station. I run up and as I'm waiting for the cow to take the last step off the property, a huge (220#) woman comes running out of the station screaming, "NOOOOO, thats my pet moooose". I look at her like she was crazy, turn around and drop the cow. She goes running into the station screaming that I shot her pet moose. I punch my tag and start to walk over to her. I enter the store where there were a few truckers hanging around and she is all upset and crying saying she has been watching that moose all summer. I tried to explain that the cow has completed her cycle, most likely gave birth a few times and now is going to feed my family. Didn't matter to her so I then tried to explain that this is the reason the state gives out the permits to keep from people from getting in wrecks by hitting moose on the highway just like this one almost did. Didn't matter to her and I realized I wasn't getting anywhere so I bought a energy drink and some Freato's and went to butchering. I stop in there every once in a while and the lady still works there but is now well over 220...

Alaskan traditional custom is to honk at moose at or near the roads edge to hopefully scare it off so nobody else hits it

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    I drew a cow tag several years ago for the valley and I was "road hunting" near Sutton. I drive past the little Tesero Gas station at the the top of the hill and suddenly a huge cow runs across the road to a little field on someones property. I pull into his driveway and knocked on his door to let him know I had a cow tag and to ask if I could harvest this cow that was on his property. Before he could answer we hear a bunch of tire noise and look out towards the road to see that the cow came back across the road and came very close to being hit by a truck. I quickly jump into my truck and drive across the road to see the cow standing right at the gas pumps! I get my gun out and watch as she slowly starts to head off the property of the gas station. I run up and as I'm waiting for the cow to take the last step off the property, a huge (220#) woman comes running out of the station screaming, "NOOOOO, thats my pet moooose". I look at her like she was crazy, turn around and drop the cow. She goes running into the station screaming that I shot her pet moose. I punch my tag and start to walk over to her. I enter the store where there were a few truckers hanging around and she is all upset and crying saying she has been watching that moose all summer. I tried to explain that the cow has completed her cycle, most likely gave birth a few times and now is going to feed my family. Didn't matter to her so I then tried to explain that this is the reason the state gives out the permits to keep from people from getting in wrecks by hitting moose on the highway just like this one almost did. Didn't matter to her and I realized I wasn't getting anywhere so I bought a energy drink and some Freato's and went to butchering. I stop in there every once in a while and the lady still works there but is now well over 220...
    Thank you i needed a good laugh

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Citation: AS § 16.05.790

Summary: This Alaska law constitutes the state's hunter harassment law. Under the law, a person may not intentionally obstruct or hinder another person's lawful hunting, fishing, trapping, or viewing of fish and game. Only a peace officer may arrest a person for violation of this section. Exclusions include lawful competitive hunting, actions taken on private property with the consent of the landowner, and obstruction or hindrance by a person actively engaged in lawful hunting, fishing, or trapping activities. Violation is a misdemeanor with a fine of not more than $500 or imprisonment for not more than 30 days, or both.

License plate and video evidence are priceless.

We were up off the Steese yesterday and had a truck come by blaring his horn as we were pulling off the road. He started from quite a ways off and kept on the horn as he drove past. We weren't even on a moose, we were headed out to hike into some clearings to spot. Hopefully we will shoot the cow that Karma has lined out for him to meet his bumper this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    So I was driving down the Chena Road yesterday morning at about 5:30am and I saw this guy who had pulled his truck over to answer nature's call. I don't think he saw the 2 year old cow that was about to charge and trample him. I hit the horn the whole time I was passing him and luckily the cow ran off and I saved his life..
    HAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAH THAT is hilarious

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    We were up off the Steese yesterday and had a truck come by blaring his horn as we were pulling off the road. He started from quite a ways off and kept on the horn as he drove past. We weren't even on a moose, we were headed out to hike into some clearings to spot. Hopefully we will shoot the cow that Karma has lined out for him to meet his bumper this winter.
    Let me say, that I was under the impression that the Honker, was deliberately trying to STOP the Hunter from bagging the Moose, and succeeded.

That should explain my post.

I usta like Truckers, even had me a Weaver Brothers Cap. I hadda stop wearing it cuz too many folks mistook me for a Trucker, and would ask me questions, and/or tell me about Weaver Brothers, and I wasn’t reely up to it.

BUTTT, a cupla years back some “Trucker” almost killed me and my wife, by passing us just about the time we entered an UNPAVED stretch of highway.

All I could see for a VERY long time was dust, rocks and gravel. Fortunately, I had in my awareness, or memory, that the road had been relatively straight, and so I slowed, and kept my steering straight, and didn’t go over the Drop-Off, on either side of the road.

This could have been a very serious matter, with serious injury or deaths which is about as serious to US, as it gets.

The point is, there are A Holes out there who react emotionally without due consideration of the consequences, EVEN TRUCKERS.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Didn't matter to her and I realized I wasn't getting anywhere so I bought a energy drink and some Freato's and went to butchering. I stop in there every once in a while and the lady still works there but is now well over 220...
    She should eat more moose and less Fritos.

I stop in there every once in a while and the lady still works there but is now well over 220...
    And I bet she still LOVES you...!!!......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The hunting Gods re-paid me for not getting "upset" with the guy in the pick-up yesterday...

I was "given" a perfect dry cow- on a unimproved "unoffical" camping spot on Chena Road this AM. Was able to shoot a moose in the perfect spot- NEAR A PICK-UP TRUCK!!!

Seriously, we were able to back right up to her and quarter her up right into the bed of the truck. It was great.

Now to fill my partner's tag!

Good luck to all of you, and thanks for letting me harp on the honker,

Chris

Makes me feel good to know it worked out! People that interfere with hunting suck! Sick the troopers on them. Right kindly of you not to ventilate the truck with the 300!

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    The hunting Gods re-paid me for not getting "upset" with the guy in the pick-up yesterday...

I was "given" a perfect dry cow- on a unimproved "unoffical" camping spot on Chena Road this AM. Was able to shoot a moose in the perfect spot- NEAR A PICK-UP TRUCK!!!

Seriously, we were able to back right up to her and quarter her up right into the bed of the truck. It was great.

Now to fill my partner's tag!

Good luck to all of you, and thanks for letting me harp on the honker,

Chris

And you still haven't thanked me for saving your life...