Thread: Moose Attack

Default Moose Attack

Hi!

Does anyone have some kind of tips what to do if being attacked by moose?

Two days ago I went to pick berries just 500m from my house, walked throug a bush and surprised two adult female mooses and their offspring. Closest moose turned around and lowered her head and attacked. Fortunately there was dense forest behind me and I escaped behind the trees. I also yelled to the moose and tried to act as dangerous as possible. She let me be, after some half a minute. Only damage I had, is a bruise on my hip for falling down while escaping.

Does anyone have similar experiences with mooses? We also have whitetails(thank you America) and during mating season, bulls are very agressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyytigizmo View Post
    Hi!

Does anyone have some kind of tips what to do if being attacked by moose?
    Stay on your feet and put something solid between you and the moose. Best prevention is 'see and avoid'.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

In Alaska more people are attacked by moose than by bears. You managed to surprise them and the attack reaction is normal. Moose cows are very protective of their young and will even fight bears to protect them.

Glad you came out with nothing but a bruise and a story.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Yeah stay away from the cows with calfs!

Lived in Alaska for over 20 years and spent countless hours in the outdoors and never had an issue. Then again I tend to leave moms and babies alone.

You always have to pay attention to your surroundings and be on the lookout for wildlife you never know when or where they will pop up.

The best thing to do it climb a tree or get behind something that can stop a moose. You did the right thing by putting distance between you and the angry cow.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

????

Be wary.

Don't get too close.

If they have calves, haul Ahss.

I run them off around here by clapping my hands. Clapp-clapp, Clapp-clapp, Clapp-clapp.

What they do, is Stomp with their Front Hooves. That's what you watch for.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Most charges by cow moose are bluffs, just trying to scare you away from their calves. If they do happen to follow though and you can't get behind something like a tree, car, or some other solid object, you want to make yourself as small as possible and protect your head. They will stomp a bit, then usually leave. If you try to act aggressively, it frequently will just make them more upset. When they are protecting their calves, they will protect them from pretty much any animal out there. They aren't going to run away from something that looks scary.

Haul ***** FAST and put something between you and her...as last resort put a sizable tree between you and her. You can go around the tree faster than she can. As mentioned, no sense bluffing- she doesn't care at all.

For the record- I am way more scared of getting stomped by a cow moose than mauled by a bear.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post

For the record- I am way more scared of getting stomped by a cow moose than mauled by a bear.
    That is the same way I feel... I got within about 10 ft of a moose when I was very young and not paying attention just walking down the street. That moose was pissed, I dropped to the ground and rolled under a parked car and got away. Very lasting impression and that was 30 years ago.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

For you I would suggest a can of bear spray for a charge. Mosty make as much NOISE! as you can while walking in the woods,most anything will leave, if it don't then it probably means to eat you . I use a candy tin with coins in it. I have chased moose and bears through the woods with it. I DON'T recommed you try this plus you need the right permits. Wildlife is my job so I do know what I'm talking about. If you do choose to carry spray read the directions, you can make a bad situation much worse. Now go enjoy the outdoors.

A couple of years back a student new to UAF ran into a moose down by Smith Lake, thought that the right thing to do was to make a lot of noise and wave his arms, etc. To make a long story short he ended up calling campus cops from the top of a tree​ and the cops had to shoot the moose.

I had a buddy that sprayed a moose with bear spray... that moose chased him for a long way after that. He was on a bicycle and a very good rider, says that is the only reason he did not get stomped.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Wow must of been two freak moose. Can't say I have ever had a problem moving them by making a lot of noise. Maybe one with a fresh calf I could see wouldn't want to leave. But after being sprayed, the guy must of missed because a direct shot not only should of blinded it, it should of also restricted it's breathing. I never thought much of bear spray then I got a good dose of it, oh it works don't believe me take a hit sometime, just a little one.

I've never tried spray, but the one time I would have tried it, I didn't have any. My wheeler ran out of gas, and I had 200 yards to my cabin to grab a can, and go back to the wheeler. Cow was in heat (no calves) and was not happy with me for whatever reason. I made plenty of noise (I thought) but not enough. She had me behind a tree for at least 30 minutes until my buddy showed up with his wheeler to scare her off (I called him on the VHF, took him awhile to finish laughing, and his lunch). I had my pistol drawn and pointed at her for a good long while while we danced around the tree. What made it worse was the deadfall around the tree, that I had to jump over several times, giving this fat guy a pretty good workout.

When I encounter a moose by surprise I give a small tending grunt. They trust to their ears a lot, even when they tell a different story than their eyes and nose. It often settles them down, and at worst gives me a few extra seconds. When hunting, its very useful for stopping them to get a look at headgear, and can also slow them or stop them after putting an arrow through them. I grunted a couple times at a cow with young calf, and long story short, ended up crouched down with her towering over me at arms length, sniffing curiously at me to see what the heck I was. I ended up with some good pictures and a great story!