Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping bags

Default Sleeping bags

I want to be warm when I sleep I feel you can always unzip but being cold and trying to get a good nights sleep is terrible. I know this.... I am in the Army and and shivered a night or two.

I currently use my army bag and although a great bag when you combine the summer winter and bivy the size is too much (although much better than it use to be with the old cotton bags). My son has a cats meow +20 that stuffs down to nothing but not sure about warmth plus it is a little short.. I am 6-3 but i think you can get most is tall or long sizes.

Suggestions on what to look at that is warm and stuffs down small and dries quickly if you happen to get it wet. I am not a sheep hunter so weight not as much concern as space but one usually comes with the other. I do not normally winter hunt but would like the opportunity. Maybe like everything there is no one bag

Also what to stay away from.

You'll need to pick your bag for seasons and space/weight available. Many comfy bags are BIG, many lightweight bags have reduced size and you feel trapped like a cocoon with no room to move. You'll get as many kinds/types/weights of bags as are available in a Cabelas cataloge for responses; none will be wrong they just may not be what you need. Go to a dozen sporting goods shops and try on sleeping bags just like suits, one will fit you however one may not fill all your needs.
    As for warmth consider if you'll be in a tent, bivy, tarp; does the tent have a heater ? ALL factors to consider .
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    You'll need to pick your bag for seasons and space/weight available. Many comfy bags are BIG, many lightweight bags have reduced size and you feel trapped like a cocoon with no room to move. You'll get as many kinds/types/weights of bags as are available in a Cabelas cataloge for responses; none will be wrong they just may not be what you need. Go to a dozen sporting goods shops and try on sleeping bags just like suits, one will fit you however one may not fill all your needs.
    As for warmth consider if you'll be in a tent, bivy, tarp; does the tent have a heater ? ALL factors to consider .
    Bravo you beat me to replying to myself... guess to clearify I just wanted to see what people are using and for what condition. I will primarily use this for late summer to mid fall hunting. Wanting to get a bag or sleep system without having to buy multiple bags (IF POSSIBLE). most of the time used will be on a moose or caribou hunt in a tent on the ground no heat. you are correct about multiple opinions just wanted to see if one bag or type of bag rose to the top of what people use.

I am really thinking a zero bag or sleep system would suffice I really like the cats meow but my daughter complained that she was cold when she borrowed it while out a week long camping trip just got me to thinking about a +20 as an all around bag. Thanks for the reply.

Get off the ground, use a self inflating materess. Throw a $2 solar blanket between the bag and materess and then fold over the bag to keep in heat. Some bags have the same system built into the bag.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Sleeping bags

I have a cats meow long bag I would part with for $50 FTF in Palmer.

Default Re: Sleeping bags

You definitely are looking for a Wiggys bag in wide/XL. I have the FTRS two bag system, but many just use the Glacier hunter. Search the forum and there is a great thread on Wiggys that convinced me. Many hunters use them because they keep you warm if the bag gets wet. I used to use the military system, but always felt a little claustrophobic, the wide, long wiggy's is WAY better.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Wiggys, hands down.
    BK

I needed a new bag to fit me 6' 3" 215lbs, looked at many and decided on a North Face Goliath 0F*. Very comfortable and much warmer than I expected. REI (Anchorage) had them in stock when I purchased mine.

"I'd rather be fishing!"

Wiggy's seems to be a top choice through the forum. Just wondering how small does it pack down. Guess the question is both for the FTRs and glacier hunter or any bag for that matter.

The new military system packs down with to the size of two volleyballs or so maybe junior volleyballs but still a little large. My son's cats meow packs down smaller than 1x volleyball. Now to give the military credit the cats meow is a 20 degree bag and the military system is a bivy a summer bag and winter bag system that is good to -40 without your cold weather gear on. BUT that is really not the issue as we are all looking for a good hunting bag that packs small to give you addiitional room. for you sheep hunters I am sure you are looking at size and weight.

Thanks for the replies I will take a looka t Wiggy bags also gonna look at zero degree mountain hardware ultralamina. eitherway a good sleep pad is on order as well.

Wiggy's pack down to the same size as the military heavy bag does. Good bags but pack friendly they are not.

The Mountain Hardware Ultralamina has some great reviews and very loyal followers. If you are looking for a sheep bag that is one of the more popular models as are the Western Mountainerring bags, and Montbell UL spirals. The last two you are going to pay for unless you catch them when they are on sale.

I'd say that it is somewhere in the middle between the two in packed size. The FTRSS is very similar in function to the military system only lighter, warmer and with more room in the case of the XL/wide.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I've got a Wiggy's Hunter and a Western Mountaineering Badger.

Both are super bags- the Wiggy's is more water friendly and the WM packs smaller. I use the Wiggy's when I caribou or moose hunt because I generally have vehicle/raft support. The WM goes sheep hunting due to the smaller size and lighter weight.

No perfect bag but there are some super choices. I had an Ultralamina but it was built a little small and I felt claustrophobic.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I think a guy needs more than one bag in Alaska. There is a major temp difference between an opening day hunt and a late fall/early winter moose, deer, or goat hunt. I use a cats meow 20F early and a -30 cabelas bag later
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I think a guy needs more than one bag in Alaska. There is a major temp difference between an opening day hunt and a late fall/early winter moose, deer, or goat hunt. I use a cats meow 20F early and a -30 cabelas bag later
    I completely agree hoose35! At this point I use three different bags. One for pack in hunts, one for late fall hunts, one for winter hunts. I even have a 4th that is great when it is the middle of the summer in the interior or one of the few warm days we get down in south central.

Wiggy's FTRSS is three different bags. Overbag all summer, Ultralight fall, both when it starts to get cold. That being said I would not mind having a 0 degree down bag when weight is a primary concern.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Some really good points here. If you can get a sleep system (multiple, layered bags) you'll be prepared for a variety of seasons but you'll lose the ability to compress them as much for packing. I was in the military and used the three piece system, which was alright. I'd recommend checking out Feathered Friends sleeping bags. They are down, hand made and very warm. I own one now and have no regrets. I've never been sold on the synthetic over down argument for the reason of being warm when wet. Take the precautions to keep your bag dry...cause if it gets wet you are going to be cold....no matter what it's made of. Last thing, which someone else mentioned was the use of a good sleeping pad. One set-up I've used with sucess is to use two pads. One of the thin therma-rest pads along with an inflatable pad for max cushion and warmth. A really good pad to consider is the Outdoor Research (OR) down mat. It is an inflatable mat with down in the chambers. It's warm, light and packs up small. You use the bag to inflate the mat. Like most gear for Alaska, its worth paying for good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmarFisherman View Post
    Some really good points here. If you can get a sleep system (multiple, layered bags) you'll be prepared for a variety of seasons but you'll lose the ability to compress them as much for packing. I was in the military and used the three piece system, which was alright. I'd recommend checking out Feathered Friends sleeping bags. They are down, hand made and very warm. I own one now and have no regrets. I've never been sold on the synthetic over down argument for the reason of being warm when wet. Take the precautions to keep your bag dry...cause if it gets wet you are going to be cold....no matter what it's made of. Last thing, which someone else mentioned was the use of a good sleeping pad. One set-up I've used with sucess is to use two pads. One of the thin therma-rest pads along with an inflatable pad for max cushion and warmth. A really good pad to consider is the Outdoor Research (OR) down mat. It is an inflatable mat with down in the chambers. It's warm, light and packs up small. You use the bag to inflate the mat. Like most gear for Alaska, its worth paying for good stuff.
    Actually, a Wiggys bag will keep you warm when wet. Mark (owner of Wiggys Alaska) has some done some emperical testing to prove this. He soaked his bag and slept in it on a cold wintry night with thermometers to prove it.
    I'm not dicounting other brands or ssaying Wiggys is the best, but I have been VERY happy with my Wiggys bags and I have tried others. Sure you can plan to keep your bag dry, but sh*t happens in Alaska and I want every advantage I can when the elements are against me.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Sure you can plan to keep your bag dry, but sh*t happens in Alaska and I want every advantage I can when the elements are against me.
    BK
    +1 Imagine dumping your raft on day one of a 13 day float hunt and discover a wet down bag because your dry bag had a small tear from a careless ramp employee at the airport.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Actually, a Wiggys bag will keep you warm when wet. Mark (owner of Wiggys Alaska) has some done some emperical testing to prove this. He soaked his bag and slept in it on a cold wintry night with thermometers to prove it.
    I'm not dicounting other brands or ssaying Wiggys is the best, but I have been VERY happy with my Wiggys bags and I have tried others. Sure you can plan to keep your bag dry, but sh*t happens in Alaska and I want every advantage I can when the elements are against me.
    BK
    Mark is not normal though so this does not count! LOL. Mark is a good guy and he sells good bags but I would never purposely pour water in my sleeping bag winter or summer and then go sleep in it for the night like he did!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast