Thread: Need some help!

Default Need some help!

Hey Gents.

I just got a job at the joint base. I will be in Anchorage mid to late September. The problem I have is I have a one year old chocolate lab that I promised I would get a ton of ducks this year. I am moving up from Utah and I know how to work for ducks. I am excited about the move but I am not breaking my promise to this guy. If anyone is looking for a hunting partner or hunts in a place where a dog would be ideal... hit me up. I would love to shoot some ducks but if you want to get an extra limit Ill leave the gun in the blind. He has passed his Junior hunter test and is well behaved with a ton of energy. I want this kid to get started off right. Little about me. I'm 39, 10 year Marine Corps vet, beer drinker on the weekend and tough enough to get to the toughest spots. If you don't need an extra guy or dog, any info you can give me would be helpful. I am selling alot of stuff but I already have the duck gear packed. Help me out. PM me and we can link up on the phone or email

You can take him out to the hayflats or portage for some jump shooting action. He will have lots of opportunities to get some birds out there. He will probably even get a few cripples that you didn't shoot.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Where abouts is that?

You can access the hayflats at cottonwood creek in wasilla, or go south of anchorage and girdwood to portage. I have never hunted portage so I can't help you out there. Cottonwood is pretty easy to access, just cross the creek and walk around in the marsh. There are hundreds of ponds out there. You will work up a sweat getting to them but there are quite a few birds there if you are willing to put in some work. They have shut down the ATV bridge for "repairs" for the past several months. But no repairs have been made to it. You used to be able to access with a quad, but that ain't happening this year. You could probably go to the overlook and scout out some ponds with a spotting scope, then head in in the morning. Do you have a boat?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

In case you are not aware, season is short here, if lucky water won't freeze over till end of Oct, often beginning of Oct, once it is frozen, most of the birds take off. Not near as good of hunting as in lower 48 but it is what we have. If you email me when you are ready to go, I go often, may be room for you if interested. But I'm a old guy, won't try to keep up with you, but I use boat for primary transportation. Late season often have to put in long hours for a limit, and combine that with good shootng. Bud
    Wasilla

Marine

Do some searching around on this forum for information..You would be surprised at how much you could learn on duckhunting in Alaska and where to go by doing so.

Good luck out there..and welcome to AK.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

No I don't have a boat. I may look at getting on though.

I will send you an email. I just got my start date.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine03 View Post
    No I don't have a boat. I may look at getting on though.
    Since you are in the states right now and will be paid to move up (hopefully your job includes PCS move) I recommend getting a small marsh boat like a MoMarsh DP with a long tail small HP mud motor. This is something you can not find up here easily. Its fairly easy to find a larger flat bottom boat and then order a surface drive mud motor to put on it. But the smaller more useful boats are expensive and don't come up for sale often.

If you have a small boat you will increase your hunting area by a 100 fold.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine03 View Post
    Hey Gents.

I just got a job at the joint base. I will be in Anchorage mid to late September. The problem I have is I have a one year old chocolate lab that I promised I would get a ton of ducks this year. I am moving up from Utah and I know how to work for ducks. I am excited about the move but I am not breaking my promise to this guy. If anyone is looking for a hunting partner or hunts in a place where a dog would be ideal... hit me up. I would love to shoot some ducks but if you want to get an extra limit Ill leave the gun in the blind. He has passed his Junior hunter test and is well behaved with a ton of energy. I want this kid to get started off right. Little about me. I'm 39, 10 year Marine Corps vet, beer drinker on the weekend and tough enough to get to the toughest spots. If you don't need an extra guy or dog, any info you can give me would be helpful. I am selling alot of stuff but I already have the duck gear packed. Help me out. PM me and we can link up on the phone or email
    You will miss Utah, another forum I'm on shows hunters on the lake there having a BBQ on the ice in large groups with others running them back and fourth to the open water where they have numerous layout blinds and decoy spread. Sounds like a blast, go out hunt for a couple hours, run back to the bbq and eat and drink and party, and every body generally gets limits. I could learn to enjoy that kind of hunting, up here it is a lot tougher. Bud
    Wasilla

I hunt alone most of the time, let me know if you want to go! I have monday, tuesday, and wednesdays off. Always room for a fellow Marine in my boat

best advice so far...do not take this lightly

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Since you are in the states right now and will be paid to move up (hopefully your job includes PCS move) I recommend getting a small marsh boat like a MoMarsh DP with a long tail small HP mud motor. This is something you can not find up here easily. Its fairly easy to find a larger flat bottom boat and then order a surface drive mud motor to put on it. But the smaller more useful boats are expensive and don't come up for sale often.

If you have a small boat you will increase your hunting area by a 100 fold.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Default butte AK Lakes

There is Mudd (boat traffic), Jim Lake - no boat traffic and Gull lake. Jim you can hunt from north shore with a dog. pretty much most of the lake you can access with a dog if you don't mind doing some walking. If your interested in going out some time, let me know. I have a canoe, decoys and calls. All the lakes are on Maud road in Butte, AK about 20-30 min from Anchorage.
    Last edited by Phystech; 08-28-2012 at 21:13. Reason: Forgot location