Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using red dots??

Default Anyone using red dots??

I've been playing around with cheap red dot sights on a couple .22 pistols and some AR's and it seems the more I use them, the better I like them. I'm thinking about getting a better qaulity red dot...maybe an Eotech 512 to use on a guide gun or maybe my .375 H&H since they sure seem to be a lot faster for well placed shots than regular iron sights...even with ghost ring rear sights under 200 yds.

I have an Aimpoint T1 Micro that is on a .300 BO AR and I like it a lot but I find there is some reflection on the rear glass with the sun behind me, making it difficult to find the dot. Several folks say the Eotech's are better in that regard.

Just wondering if anyone has an experience with them on hunting rifles and how you like them. They certainly are proven in combat/LE applications.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I have several red dots on AR's and such as well as pistol sights. On an AR or similar Zombie rifle, there is none better than the Aimpoint, M3, M4, PRO. (Patrol Rifle Optic)

The PRO is the buy of the century right now it is essentially the M3 with a great detachable mount attached. The mount is QD With a big knob on the left. This PRO mount can co-witness with AR sights or Sig 556 series with the riser removed. The whole package is about $400. The M3 is about $600, without mount. They are NV compatable and in-destructable. Fully combat proven optics. I have some I've used for 15 years on the same battery. On pistol I have those little Trijicon sights that go into original dovetail. Works good but there is a learning curve with them. Not cheap but the best and smallest I've ever put on a pistol.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I use the one that came with my Sig Sauer 556 pistol.

I have a holographic red dot on a browning Buckmark and it works pretty good but it's not a cheap one. It's made by C-More Systems.I also have a Ruger MKI T with an old Bushnell Phantom 2.5x which I like better. As far as speed, I prefer iron sights on a handgun, may work pretty good on a rifle though.

My uncle uses one (I think Aimpoint) on his 94 30-30. He horseback hunts Arizona, his tactic is ride by then when the game jumps (almost always behind a horse) step off and tap them on the run. Heís been doing that 70 years now, the only modern gear he uses is that site and to me that says a whole lot about how well they work. I donít use them because I think they just look all wrong but the way my eyes are getting it probably wont be all that long.

I mounted an M3 on an old 270 converted military Mouser for a guy just yesterday and turned the bolt for him. He said heís hunted that gun for 30 years with the irons on it but wanted the dot for low light with his ageing eyes. Totally the wrong caliber for a dot but I bet he fills his freezer with it wrong or not!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

The old eye thing is the reason why I'm thinking about it. I didn't trust them because of the battery (except Trijicon) but the guys using ACOGs in the Afghan AOR have convinced me the lithium batterys last forever and is not an issue. Buy a new set every couple months and it's not a worry and they have "auto off" anyway that saves battery power.

I'm pretty well convinced that if they are the sight of choice for hunting people, then they should work just fine for hunting game. After playing with them for awhile, I can't think of a faster sight for a defensive gun...either for bad folks or critters...good eyes or not.

I'm interested in what people are using on hunting guns.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Default Re: Anyone using red dots??

Don't try a holographic sight, they are way too much fun.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    Don't try a holographic sight, they are way too much fun.
    That sounds like a challenge!!

AimPoints have battery lives measured in years. The Pro is good for three years continuous run.

I am using a Trijicon TR-24 currently. The scope cost more than pretty much any of my rifles, but man is it worth it. It's a 1x4 with an illiminated triangle. Set at 1 power it is used just like a red-dot, but the advantage of turning it up for 4X for longer shots. No battery to worry about either. The night setting is by tritium.

This scope fit perfectly for the use on my one AR. I use it for hunting and home defense. This scope allows me to do both.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I have an inexpensive red dot on my hunting rifle for heavy underbrush.

I did try a holographic sight - a buddy has one on an AR - but I personally like the red dot better.

I think both the red dot and holograph are good systems, just depends on the user; glad I got to try both before I ponied up for an expensive version of either.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I've always wondered, and never got an answer.

Are them things accurate enuff for shooting at distance, say 100 to 300 yards?

I'm talkin 1 inch groups, etc.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I plan on bear baiting next spring and will use an ar-10 with an eotech on top. A mag full of 165gr TSX's should do the trick. The gun is too heavy for any other hunting scenario that I do, but for baiting it should be fun to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post

Smitty of the North
    Yes . . . and no. The dot itself is as accurate as a scope but when you get way out there it starts looking as big as your whole target. So now ya got to guess where the middle if the dot is and the edges, like a flashlight beam, are not real well defined making the guesswork tricky. For me 300 yards I had no trouble being minuet of moose or coyote even, every bit as good as with irons but the group size is definitely quite a bit bigger than with a good scope.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post

Smitty of the North
    Well....depends. The Aimpoint comes with either two minute or four minute dot. Two minutes covers about 2 inches at 100 yards, 4 inches at 200, etc. I have shot groups smaller than the dot size and do quite often. On targets, some are better than others, you can easily keep the dot in the middle of a bullseye target and shoot to the capability of the rifle and your ability. On the steel man targets or card board bad guys it's hard to shoot tiny groups because you have no center reference. This is true with any sight or scope unless the scope is high power and you can see bullet holes at distance. I Think red dots are the best optic for a defensive rifle or what is generally considered a Zombie rifle, out to 300 yards or so. Man size targets to as far as six hundred yards if you can shoot. They are so much better than iron sights and the answer for old eyes. Consider they are used co-witness with irons, its a good set up.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Okie Doke.
    Thanks.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I'm thinking an Eotech 512 with a 1 minute dot and the 65 minute circle for up close. Amazon has them for $365 this morning and 3x (Chinese I guess) magnifiers under $100.

The Sightmark 3x is compatible with most Picatinny and Weaver mounts, and is designed to work with EOTech, Aimpoint, Trijicon, and other brands. In addition, the magnifier's lightweight, waterproof, fogproof, and shatterproof frame provides durability in all elements.
    Specifications

• Magnification: 3x
    • Objective: 29mm
    • Eye relief: 55mm
    • Field of view: 7.5 degrees
    • Tube diameter: 30mm
    • Material: Aluminum
    • Color: Matte black
    • Dimensions: 4.72 by 1.9 by 1.8 inches (W x H x D)
    • Weight: 6.7 ounces

Product Description

The Sightmark 3x Tactical Magnifier with the slide to side mount is designed for use in conjunction with holographic, collimated reflex, and other compatible weapons sights, giving the shooter the benefit of a reflex sight and scope in one combination. The magnifier increases the magnification of the accompanying sight for greater sighting range and improves target recognition, especially at medium range distances. The Sightmark 3x Tactical Magnifier can assist in quick target acquisition up to 200 yards and accurate target shooting at 100 yards. The Sightmark Tactical Magnifier also features extended eye relief for comfort, a wide field of view for superior target acquisition and high quality multicoated optics for improved visibility and clarity. The Sightmark 3x Tactical Magnifier can be mounted on most picatinny and weaver mounts and is designed to work with EOTech, Aimpoint, Trijicon and other brands. A lightweight, waterproof, fog proof and shatter-proof frame provides durability in all elements.

That makes them cheap enough to at least try the concept and if you (I) don't like it I can get most of my (your) money back. I'm right on the edge and I may jump based upon the comments you guys have provided....ah spit...I'm gunna get the Eotech 512 becasue of the 1 minute dot and give her a try.

I've been using a Burris FastFire II on a Win/Moruku M86 45/70 for 2 years. For me, I would feel comfortable out to 200+ yards on moose. As Murphy said, they're a real boost for aging eyes.

I looked at red dots for my bear/brush rifle, but I didn't care for having to carry the extra battery or turn it on/off. I ended up going with a Trijicon RMR with tritium and fiber as the light source. Mine has the 12 moa triangle, so using the top tip of the triangle allows for pretty decent accuracy. I went to the range yesterday and shot a 2" four shot group at 200 yards, which is the distance I have it zeroed. I haven't used it on game yet, but I don't think I'll have any problems at that range on a bear or moose.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

My Aimpoint T-1 Micro has been turned on since I bought it 2.5 years ago. Usually on level 7 or 8. Same battery, same brightness. If I was buying one now I would get the 2MOA dot. If you will never use night vision buy the H-1 and save some money.

Trijicon is the obvious answer if you don't want a battery. I have looked through the RMR, but never shot one on a gun. While looking through them I have always found the screen too small, and the dot or triangle hard to find. Again, I haven't shot them, and the problem may not be a problem while actually shooting.

I have a Trijicon reflex sight that is new in the box I was tempted to mount on my bird gun but I may just end up selling it. I love the thing though especially in low to no light situations.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast