Thread: Interesting history..

Default Interesting history..

I just ran across this interesting history of commercial slamon fishing on the Columbia River:

http://www.nwcouncil.org/history/CommercialFishing.asp

Lots of interesting parallels to the history and situation in Alaska today in upper Cook Inlet. I haven't researched who the NW Council is and if they have an agenda pro or con anything.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

This is ridiculous.

This is this at the end of the article YOU posted.

“Commercial fishing remains and important economic and cultural mainstay of many lower-Columbia and Indian communities”

So go ahead and try some more anti-commercial fishing hysterics.

I’d like to point out something within that article though to make it plain what occurred on the Columbia River, a river in a vastly different area in different times than today…

“What happened? The primary causes of the 150-year decline of salmon and steelhead are familiar — water pollution, overfishing, dams, habitat destruction, unfavorable ocean conditions, and the impacts of hatchery production on wild fish including overproduction and disease.”

I’d also say that there is actually some similarities between the Columbia and salmon vs Alaska, and our multitude of wild commercial fisheries…………I mean how couldn’t there be? However, there are also vast differences. There are different management plans, constitutions, climate, history, situations, and millions of other differences.

Your agenda is plain and imo wrong. I don’t know what you have against commercial fishing in any rational way TV………and I’m glad I can’t figure it out.

I had to laugh too. There are more non-parallels than parallels. Completely different situations.

We all know why tvfinak posted that, and where he is headed with it....

Default parallels

I pointed out that there were some parallels. I'm glad to see that you agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye2em View Post

I had to laugh too. There are more non-parallels than parallels. Completely different situations.

We all know why tvfinak posted that, and where he is headed with it....
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

No. You didn't say that. Read your post.

As we learned from your other posts, the only parallels you will make are irrational commercial fishing anti-isms.

"Lots of interesting parallels to the history and situation in Alaska today in upper Cook Inlet."

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye2em View Post
    No. You didn't say that. Read your post.

As we learned from your other posts, the only parallels you will make are irrational commercial fishing anti-isms.

So what are these "some"...uh, I mean "lots" of parallels?

Well, the water is wet in both places. The sky is usually blue. Ummm.....salmon are still fish in both places.....people impact things...........hmmmm, what ARE the rest of these parrallels?

Thumbs down

The only "parallel" I see here is one more thread devoted to the abuse of Alaska's seafood industry.