Thread: Felt?

Default Felt?

Has it gone no felt up there? I'd read that it was going to for 2012, but wasn't sure. If so, do I need to find boots with cleats? I've only fished with felt so I'm not sure about the traction with rubber soles. Thanks.

Yes no felt begining 2012. You can find boots with any sole other than felt. They don't have to be cleats. Korkers have interchangeable soles. You can have cleats and then change them out to rubber soles as needed. Thats what I do. I normally wear cleats when wade fishing. It helps grip the slippery rocks. When I know we will be rafting, I then switch them out for my rubber soles as I do not want to puncture the raft.

Search the forum. There is a lot of discussion on it. Since you are posting in the freshwater fishing forum - the answer is Yes its prohibited. For other uses the answer is currently still legal.

Ok, found the last discussion on it for you.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...highlight=felt
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Thank you Milo. I read the thread. The lack of consistency among the different agencies is mind-bottling. I guess I'm on the market for some vibram with cleats.

Korkers also markets "strap-on" cleats. Works reel good. Single buckle - onn/off pretty easy. I got mone at Cabela's.

I had my guide Simms felt boots stripped and resoled with Simms soles at 5th Ave Shoe Repair and was quite suprised with the quality of the job done and I haven't fallen on my butt yet (and I was sure I was going to)! I haven't felt the need to attach cleats so far.

As far as I'm concerned the no-felt did me a favor. Switched to rubber with metal cleats over a year ago. I'll never go back to felt, even if they made it legal tomorrow. The Corkers I'm using and the Simms my wife is using are just flat better that felt.

no felt for you!

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish6025 View Post
    no felt for you!
    You got that right.

Even used the new boots on wet ice last duck season. No issue, and I'd have been crawling with felt. Same for steep muddy banks and cobble covered with skum. I hate plain rubber soles and won't consider them without studs. My only concern is how long the metal studs will last, so replaceable studs would be a plus I think.

Guys, thanks for the input. I just ordered a pair of Simms Headwater boots through my local shop. I had them in felt, and they worked great for me. I've got to get some cleats for them, holy $$$$, they're pricey. I'd read of someone using sheet metal screws. Anyone try that? I'd hate to wreck my new kicks over a couple of bucks, but saving is saving.