Thread: Wear your vest

Default Wear your vest

How many times have you leaned over to clean blood off of your hands or a knife? How many times have you done that when the deck is slippery? Or in a decent sized swell? Sometimes everything comes together at once, slippery deck, sudden swell, leaning over the side... and you're in the water.

I made it back in with no troubles, but it was enough to make me glad I had my inflatable vest on. Even though I never blew the vest, it provided a convenient place for my buddy to grab hold and pull me back in.

Wear your vest.

We wear ours ~ participaed in recovery operation in Seward [unfortunately 1 person without vest not recoverd] and now another recent loss of life at Crafton.
    Whittier April 27-29 with J~Me 070.jpgWhittier April 27-29 with J~Me 092.jpg

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Been there! In addition to wearing your vest, turns out it's a good idea to just think for a minute about how you will get back on board in the event of an accidental swim. I'll tell you from experience that formulating a plan, while trying to don a life jacket, while treading water next to the boat is NOT the time!!!

Vest didn't inflate?

We lost a good friend and long time commercial fisherman this Summer when he fell off his gill net boat. It is hard to remember that you cannot swim well in foul weather gear and boots. Try it in a pool sometime, it might change the reluctant mind.

Supporting Member

Policy on my boat - everyone wears life jackets or float coats or they don't come aboard. i don't want to explain to family members why someone was lost on my watch.

i had a guy fall out at deep creek this year when we were anchored up with the current ripping. almost lost him! just me and his wife in the boat. think if it was just him and his wife! if we would of lost him we would not of been able to get him with the boat because when we left later we found out that we had dead batteries in the boat.... scary...