Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabelas Alaskan Guide Scope?

Default Cabelas Alaskan Guide Scope?

Anybody here use one? Any good? Cabelas claims they're tough, HD optics, bright and have a lens rain coating. I'm interested in the 1 inch tube 3-10X40. All/any opinions welcome.

I've never seen any thing wrote up good about them here.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Have you seen anything bad written about them?

Yep I have
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Get yourself either the Redfield revolution, Leupold VX1, or a vortex crossfire they are all priced real clsoe to each other and you get good qaulity and a pretty **** good warranty.

What gets me is that the 60 or so online Cabelas reviews seem to highly praise the Alaskan Guide scopes. Granted, some of them are older reviews, as I believe Cabelas is now also selling a Premium version. So far I have not found any reviews here- but I have not done much searching yet. I was hoping you Alaskans could give me the real scoop on these scopes with such a great name?

I know of one that has survived 'bout everything Iowa can throw at it. It has stood up to the harsh recoil of a 220 Swift for about .....well as long as the Cabelas has been in Owattona Min.. It was bought at their grand opening fiasco. I'll see iffen I can figure out who makes their scopes for them.

I know the Alaskan Guide scopes could be too good to be true at $250. But again many who buy them seem to praise them on line. One fellow said his has held point of aim on a hard hunted magnum for years- despite being full of scratches! Another mentioned that his Alaskan scope is brighter than his Bushnell 4200 and Zeiss- side by side at the range! I could go on with mostly favorable reviews. That's what caught my interest in the line. I was hoping someone here might be able to report on how these scopes held up in real Alaskan conditions.

Also, besides the fair price they have a 4-4.5 inch eye relief. That's better than the new Swarovski 3-9X36! A claimed 99% light transmission per lens. Construction to military specs along with the same in the optic coatings. And, a Hydrophobic lens coating similar to the Bushnell Rain Guard! The Cabelas catalog describes this and more. Heck they put their name on it. Plus as clear as day they say you can try the scope for 60 days, and if you do not like it return it... no questions asked! You bet this gets my interest.

I often wonder with today's many optic choices and modern technology in manufacturing, why should a decent scope cost more than $300? I also see Cabelas has developed the next line of Alaskan Premium scopes. But these have less eye relief and they no longer mention the Hydrophobic coating. It may be possible the some of the Alaskan Guide scopes are made by Sightron? Just a guess because Sightron also mentioned the same Hydrophobic coating on their scopes. Only they no longer do. A few months back I pressed Sightron to say if their scopes had the coating or not (I sometimes hunt Rain-Country!) and the answer I finally got was they used to, but Bushnell came down on them legally, because they owned the concept with RainGuard.

I'm going to order an Alaskan Guide 3-10X40. If I do not like the optics or the way my rifle shoots, I'll return it. I'll report my findings here. I should mentioned that I've mostly used and come to trust Leupold. But Leupold prices are going up and up and it is now possible to purchase a decent rifle that costs less than a typical Leupold scope! I just can't put a Leupold or Swarovski on every new gun! That's why I'm looking elswhere and so far feel the Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9X40 is a great scope buy. I bought one for around $270 and it is one bright scope! I do not want cheap, but above average quality at a decent price. I want to know how the Alaskan Guide compares to the 4200 in real weight, optics and eye relief.

If you have used Leupold in the past and were happy with them why not just stick with them instead of going with an unknown and risking a hunt? I you don't like the price of a brand new Leupold pick up a used one, it is not like they wear out or the warranty is void.

What 250 bucks screw that I would be looking at the Leupold, Vortex, or Refield for that price I was looking yesterday std 3x9 vortex crossfire 139.99, Leupold was 219 and the redfield came in at 159 if I remember right.

I buy several rifles a month. As a small business owner when I see a good rifle deal I want/buy. So now you know how I vote. Perhaps I'm not the only one who has noticed in this deliberatly created poor economy, hunting rifles are plenty with few full value buyers right now. Especially this time of year. Why at the online auction sites one can pretty much win any rifle auction of choice with a min open bid or phone offer for less. As a matter of fact, there has been a 338 Win offered in a Brown Precision stock for $450. That stock alone is worth more! Yet the rifle has been for sale for weeks and I just may have to buy it. Like I need another 338! But just call Brown and see how much to stock and bed a rifle.

I have mostly hunted with Leupold VX II and VX IIIs. Yes they worked well in the past and I have favored the 4X, 2-7X and 1.5-5X. I've never had one fail and they have been my first choice on rifles up to 416 Rem. I have no experience with the newer more expensive Leupolds (because at their new prices one might as well look at Swarovski), however can say that the Nikons and Bushnells are noticably brighter than any Leupold I've used. I once had a Nikon Monarch half fog up on the inside, right at the shot at a bull elk! The shot was barely made, but I stopped buying Nikon optics. Even though another buddy swears by a Nikon 4-12X on his 300 Wby.

Here in Washington there is much moisture. Heck, I live near the Olympic rain forest. Water does bead-up pretty good on the Leupolds, however in a heavy rain I have to wipe my scope every few minutes, or risk missing a possible shot. That got me interested in Rain Guard. Leupold should have that! My buddy once missed a nice bull because his Leupold 4X was all fogged-up on the outside!

I also have an article where a gun writer talks about tough scopes. It was easy to understand that he felt the earlier Bausch & Lomb-and the now called Bushnell 4200 is one of the toughest scopes available. Bushnell claims their 4200 Elite is the brightest scope in the world now, and it has the Rain Guard at basically half the price of the new Leupolds. While I prefer the looks of the Leupolds, I believe the 4200 is just as good or better as any Leupold. My Grandfather was German and I partook in German style hunting- drives, night hunting and tree stands. In the 60-70s he always said Zeiss was the only scope to own- period. That was perhaps true then and I've been around European 30mm optics. Lots of that today is hype! That's why today I'm open to trying even a $250 scope. I suspect I'll find it OK.

The bold claims Cabelas makes about their Alaskan Guide scopes has me interested. It sounds very similar to the 4200 3-9, only it is 3-10 with 1/2"+ more eye relief at $250! Why pay $500 for a scope if one at $250 does the same or better job? I could care less about brand names and want what works for me at the best price. If one does not research or try new things, how will one know?

I kind of expected with a name like Alaskan Guide, Alaskan hunters would have tried it... but I guess Alaskans are wise to such marketing ploys? When I get my Alaskan Guide scope, I will put it through a torture test of fire, ice and water before it gets mounted. I will either like it or not. If I like it I will buy at least 3 more.

It may indeed be a decent scope but marketing it as an Alaska Guide Model is just playing to those who see the wow factor of Alaska and think- 'if it is good enough for them it must be great'. Personally I just don't want to spend that amount to see for myself how it is. As others have mentioned there are plenty of proven scopes for that amount. The little Redfield Revolution is a great scope for a little over $150.

Personally I just don't understand people wanting to scrimp on a scope. You don't have to buy a Swaro or Nightforce, but get a good scope regardless of what it is sitting on. All the money spent on the rifle, ammo, gas, tags, trip, etc...it is a small price to pay for a long-time investment. Heck, 3 boxes of Weatherby ammo is the same as a lupy!

I look forward to your review.

BEE

Quote Originally Posted by Cabochris View Post

I also have an article where a gun writer talks about tough scopes.
    You do realize that gun writer articles are affected proportionally by the amount of money a company spends on advertising with his publication.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I have looked those optics over and have seen a few of them on rifles around the camps. I'm impressed with the glass and they seem to be a great buy. I don't know of any durability issues, etc. I steer clear of them like the plague however, because they are a made in China product. We (Americans) send almost one billion dollars per day to China, 80% of which goes to the communist government, so I'm a little leery of sending anymore money that way. I do not buy China made products.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

So, I guess none in Alaska/here has tried the Cabelas Alaskan Guide? Scrimping on a scope would be buying a clam-shell pack out of W-World. The other end is to pay big Dollars just to show off a fancy brand at the range. I've found that several "Euro scopes" are really not that great- including some on the market today. When I was in Africa a fellow with a Weaver 4X out-shot and out-hunted a rich dude with a ULA/Swaro combo on Plains Game.

A good Savage rifle will kill a Moose as dead as a Brief-case Blaser! Only some would rather not hunt than carry a Savage. I have an older Savage 111 30-06, blue/synthetic that I paid $150 for at a local gun show. It sure is ugly, but boy does it ever shoot! So, one does not always have to spend excessive Dollars on gear to go hunting. Today one does not really even need a $500 scope- as I again point to the Bushnell 4200 under $300. (Don't believe it? Then check out a 4200 in low light conditions and compare it to any scope- amazing!) If it makes a hunter feel important/better to carry some $3-5,000+ into the woods/hills, great for them. I'm more into the hunt than into gear. But unfortunately I do have a serious case of rifle nuts! Truth be told, I could do most of my hunting with that Savage 111 and a 4X scope! I've found a 30-06 pretty much as deadly as a 375 on most big game.

I just think it would be great to find a $250 scope that is reliable and does everything needed by the hunter. Yep, the Leupold Redfield Revolution looks nice, but is not a very bright scope in low light... I had one when they first came out. But it would certainly work fine in most situations.

To heck with China. If that scope is actually made in China forget it! Only it's not clear where the 1 inch Alaskan Guide Scopes are made. One source mentions Sightron and another states Cabelas said Japan. So I do not know what to believe. I can live with Japan, but would not trust a scope from China. When I get mine, if it says made in China on it, it goes right back! That would be a great deal for Cabelas as I believe the exchange rate for Hong Kong Dollar/USD is 7 to 1. That would make the Alaskan Guide a $1,750 scope in China! The mark-up seems too high for a scope made in China?

I've gone cheaper on scope choice, just cause it was for a "little .22" for my son,...just starting him out,..

and for some reason, I regretted it,...wasn't really a bad one, an "un named" brand
    (but popular with some folks and maybe a 100 bucks saved,......)
    but, it is the only scope I have sitting, back in storage, in it's original box

replaced it with Leupold,...and it just felt like a better choice, especially for "just a .22,...for the boy"

and I could swear it is better vision in a lot of ways,....couldn't prove it by magazine articles I suppose
    but I won't buy a budget scope again,...

Leupold VX-1's are a pretty good deal, in your price range there,...

maybe you are paying some for a brand name, but they have reputation for a reason

PS: I'm not a swaro guy either,...there are, "extremes," on each end, that may not be necessary for everyone
    Hope you find a good one for your application
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

You make some good points and push come to shove, Leupold would be my brand if I could only have 1. But this is based on my past experience with them. At some point I had to try a Leupold (in the 80's). Back then all in the know said Schmidt & Bender was the only way to go. Even the S&B Rep laughed and said Leupold was a joke of a scope, at an NRA show! If I never had tried a Leupold, I might be a Burris fan?

Things have come a long way in optics since. I recently looked through a pair of "cheaper" Binoculars... I think called Alpen. Unbelievable optics! A "wow factor" at a reasonable price and a real option for someone on a budget. However, who the heck is Alpen? I say if they're tough with great optics, who cares?

Yes I would be open to trying VX1s. But what really holds my interest is the hydrophobic lens coatings on the Bushnell 4200s, some of Cabelas Alaskan Guides and perhaps on some Sightron models still in old stock. I believe in the future most optics will have some sort of hydrophobic lens coatings. It just makes sense to. What does not make sense is that the $250 Alaskan Guide scope has what no Leupold has- a hydrophobic coating! This is why I'm willing to give the Alaskan Guide a try, because if they cared enough about the coating, then they were not trying to cut corners when they designed these scopes. I'm willing to take the risk and try something new to me. It may turn out to be a cheap dud, or it could simply be as good or better than any other scope for my hunting styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I have looked those optics over and have seen a few of them on rifles around the camps. I'm impressed with the glass and they seem to be a great buy. I don't know of any durability issues, etc. I steer clear of them like the plague however, because they are a made in China product. We (Americans) send almost one billion dollars per day to China, 80% of which goes to the communist government, so I'm a little leery of sending anymore money that way. I do not buy China made products.
    I'm with Murphy on this one. My money stays here.

Cabelas is a fun place to shop but sending jobs to China and selling that stuff over here doesn't set well with me. Cabelas offers other quality products at a reasonable price.

The Leupold Redfield line offers shooters a quality optic at a reduced price with a great warranty built in the USA.

Brunos shooters supply is one of the lowest price Leupold dealers I've found, about 30% lower than retail on the high end scopes I've bought there.

http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchan...tegory_Code=35

Quote Originally Posted by Cabochris View Post
    Even the S&B Rep laughed and said Leupold was a joke of a scope, at an NRA show! If I never had tried a Leupold, I might be a Burris fan?

What does not make sense is that the $250 Alaskan Guide scope has what no Leupold has- a hydrophobic coating! This is why I'm willing to give the Alaskan Guide a try, because if they cared enough about the coating, then they were not trying to cut corners when they designed these scopes.
    What would you expect a rep from a competitor to say?

The long range police S&B scopes I've shot behind were $3400.00 plus and didn't do anything a ER MK-IV couldn't do for less than half the price.

The corner was cut when they sent manufacturing over seas.

Your mind was made up before you posted the question on this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast