Thread: Ivishak, across the Sag to the takeout...

Question Ivishak, across the Sag to the takeout...

Has anyone done the crossing this year? Trying to get an updated coordinate for the crossing. I will be floating out on the Ivishak sometime between the 1st and 5th of September. Getting flown in on the 26th of August. Hoping it is heavily flagged like its been in the past, but am just trying to get a little heads up before hand. Thanks in advance!

AZinAK

I have always just stayed left and worked my way down there... Cant say it has ever been flagged while I was heading/floating that way... Maybe I have just been lucky over the years... Anyways good luck hope all is good for you guys... Wish I was there to have such a problem...lol

Thanks for the tip and for the good words...When I was up there before, the channel you crossed at had marking tape on some of the bushes on either side. People have also marked the coordinate for the channel and posted it which can help so that you are sure that you didn't go too far north on the Sag. Hoping for some current info, but either way I will post what I find when I get back. Thanks again...

AZinAK

Impossible to miss where the Sag joins the Ivishak when floating down stream, even in heavy fog. You see the pipe on the west side (left) and stay close to it and you will do fine. If not, you will easily pass the parking lot/launch. Carry a GPS this time wo you have the route next year
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

The two times I have floated it I've just taken every channel to the left if there was flowing water. It is nice though when you see the flagging to let you know you are in the correct channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    Impossible to miss where the Sag joins the Ivishak when floating down stream, even in heavy fog. You see the pipe on the west side (left) and stay close to it and you will do fine. If not, you will easily pass the parking lot/launch. Carry a GPS this time wo you have the route next year
    Guessing there is a little sarcasm in this as I hope I don't come across and completely clueless! I don't think we'll have much choice than to run into the Sag. I am just trying to make sure I don't have to haul a raft, and hopefully a very full and heavy one at that! Thanks everyone for the info and tips. Of course my buddy who knows all things in the Alaskan hunting world PM'd me assurance that he has the info I need...he was too busy before harvesting and sheep and a grizz!

AZinAK

Quote Originally Posted by AZinAK View Post
    Guessing there is a little sarcasm in this as I hope I don't come across and completely clueless! I don't think we'll have much choice than to run into the Sag. I am just trying to make sure I don't have to haul a raft, and hopefully a very full and heavy one at that! Thanks everyone for the info and tips. Of course my buddy who knows all things in the Alaskan hunting world PM'd me assurance that he has the info I need...he was too busy before harvesting and sheep and a grizz!

AZinAK
    I think Roger is referring to the fact that discerning where two braided rivers of almost the same clarity blend into one another can be tough. However, due to the end of the hills, the pipeline, big rigs in the distance, and even a slight reduction in water clarity, a person can easily tell that they've entered the Sag. Once you start seeing these signs head over to the left bank until you hit the landing you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    I think Roger is referring to the fact that discerning where two braided rivers of almost the same clarity blend into one another can be tough. However, due to the end of the hills, the pipeline, big rigs in the distance, and even a slight reduction in water clarity, a person can easily tell that they've entered the Sag. Once you start seeing these signs head over to the left bank until you hit the landing you're looking for.
    Understand the tip now...thanks Roger45 and lab man, both for the original info and clarification. Just to clarify, I definately wasn't trying to be disrespectful...just thought someone was poking at me!

AZinAK

I guess I really didn't present this the way I should have and I was not trying to rib you...after running these rivers many times it is easy to forget that others have not. The Sag (and the Ivashak to a lessor degree) is a very braided river. You start going with the deep water and end up in a shallow spot in the blink of an eye. When travelling south (up river) I have seen at least 40% of boaters miss the Ivashak "braid" and end up behind pump 2. I have helped guide folks back to this turn many times. Going down stream the view from the Ivashak is higher in elevation and you can easily tell that there is another river joining in, as opposed to just another braid. My point was meant to be, even in fog you should not have to worry about missing this juncture. Also, at this point, if you go right where the main body of water seems to be, you can miss the take out point fairly easily down stream. Worse comes to worse there is another take out point something like 10-15 miles north of the main area. Maybe Rob, AKA AKNimrod could chime in as his Dad showed him all the places to get in and out of the Sag. Enjoy the trip, catch lots of grayling and remember that Char run in September up the Ivashak! Start your hunt early in the trip, but go slow and enjoy the trip.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather