Thread: Squiding in Prince William Sound?

Default Squiding in Prince William Sound?

While I haven't seen an abundance of them (squid), I have run across a good dozen in the last 25 years or so. They are sized between 12" - 18" in length. "I have heard", that at times, seiners see them in there lights. large schools of them. Not only would this be a good fishery, but good for sport as they are tasty critters (I really like to eat them). I know that there have been threads on this, but would like to stir it up once again.

The big problem with squid is you almost always need heavy duty lights to attract them in any quantities.Also they don't come to the surface during the day as the sunlight is too dispurse.
    When I was seining for them in Calif we had 8 1500 watt high pressure sodium lights that we would place 10 feet off the water and would run them for a coouple hours to attract them in, and that was in only 200-400 feet of water

I have thought about going out at night, dropping a few of the underwater lights at thier maximium depth and having a few floating ones on the surface. Since it has to be dark out, this would mean going out and drifting in mid to late september or early May when it actually gets dark.

The other option would be to use lighted squid jigs but it might be hard to locate them first (thats why the lights, it actually attracts them) They do show up on fish finders as big balls near the bottom.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I did find a site that listed a variety of squid jigs, lit and unlit. But I was missing some of the thought on the lighting aspect. I only have a 30' er, so don't have the capacity you are mentioning for lighting,...I was wondering about floating lights, as they would beam it more efficiently down? I am thinking with 10 watt leds? Just a thought, as LED's seem to work for most all else these days,...Maybe the South end of Montague Island,...Or Naked, Peak Or Story

Thats my thought.
    A few or 4 surface leds
    http://www.boatersplus.com/optronics...FWYZQgodIB8AQA

and 3 to 6 of these
    http://www.squidlures.com/index.php?...d=85&Itemid=76

spaced out on the way down.
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I'm definitely interested. Jigged up squid in WA and it was a blast and tasty!

I have two sets of LED lights for my kayak. One is:

Other is

I got them at: http://www.fishinglightsetc.com/MagnumLED.html

and http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/p...erwater-Lights

Haven't got to try them yet but they sure throw off quite a bit of light. Just need a bit more darkness. Hoping to get a few hours of light from 18AH and 7AH battery.

It is kind of interesting what both of you indicated in lighting as it was along the line I was thinking. Also it seems to be coming out that the UV spectrum may be quite important to realize its effect down at depth. Hence comes the other factor,...Noise,...
    Jeff

Biggest thing stopping me so far is drifting, in the dark, in the sound, at night,drifting, in the dark, no radar,
    For it to be dark enough it has to be mid to late september, early may/june
    Any hint of the sun or dawn or dusk and they sound to the depths, or so I observed while commercial fishing them in CA.

I will say, the little 6 inchers we caught, sliced up while still wiggling, tossed in a hot skillet with olive oil and wine vinager, a little salt and pepper, some crushed garlic, chopped red and green peppers and purple onions........ well after fishing all night it really sucked to have to eat that.
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

My saliva glands pump purple peanut butter for you LOL!! We suffer so!! If I was eating as I would like, I don't think even the Cutter would keep me afloat.
    I agree with you though on the drifting at night as well. I still can't seem to afford that radar I would like just for such occasions (running at night, in fog,...and other stuff)

I'm sure they could lift you with the boom.........
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Love to see anyone's squidding pictures...especially ones caught in PWS

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    I'm sure they could lift you with the boom.........
    LOL Probably, but the dock cranes would probably never stand the load and at $800.00 to use the haulout lift,....couldn't hardly afford the trip,...LOL To my wife,...Hey babe, can you roll me over and just put on a little mo' butta,...