Thread: Valdez cod?

Default Valdez cod?

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck catching pacific cod around Valdez? I have caught quite a few around seward but have mostly caught just small rockfish and flounder in the waters around Valdez? Just looking for something else to chase if the silver fishing remains slow when I am there next week.
    Thanks,
    Greg

Around Valdez Port there's mostly gray cod.... and the standard Irish Lords, nearly-inedible N. Pacific Flounder, etc.

I've never caught or seen any true cod/P. Cod in Port of Valdez proper, let alone Lings, though I wouldn't go so far as to say that it CAN'T happen.

A friend who still lives there recently told me that he likes gray cod alot (other than as compost, I mean...). He said the trick is to let them sit over-night in the fridge (I asked, "Yeah, because aging breaks them down for composting directly into the garden, right?")

He said letting them sit for a day does something to them, and they're not bad; pretty decent even, according to him... He's quirky sometimes, though.

When ever I've caught them, the Asians/Philipino neighbors/etc. often requested them. Otherwise I viewed them then (and still do) as a 'trash fish.'

If the silvers aren't biting, I recommend the deep-fried clam strips at the Halibut House. They're a spendy little basket, but in my opinion, they taste a heckuva lot betta' than those nasty gray cod.

if you are willing to run about 30 miles, I can put you on as many pcod as you want.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by ruffle View Post
    Around Valdez Port there's mostly gray cod.... and the standard Irish Lords, nearly-inedible N. Pacific Flounder, etc.

I've never caught or seen any true cod/P. Cod in Port of Valdez proper, let alone Lings, though I wouldn't go so far as to say that it CAN'T happen.

A friend who still lives there recently told me that he likes gray cod alot (other than as compost, I mean...). He said the trick is to let them sit over-night in the fridge (I asked, "Yeah, because aging breaks them down for composting directly into the garden, right?")

He said letting them sit for a day does something to them, and they're not bad; pretty decent even, according to him... He's quirky sometimes, though.

When ever I've caught them, the Asians/Philipino neighbors/etc. often requested them. Otherwise I viewed them then (and still do) as a 'trash fish.'

If the silvers aren't biting, I recommend the deep-fried clam strips at the Halibut House. They're a spendy little basket, but in my opinion, they taste a heckuva lot betta' than those nasty gray cod.
    Interesting...

My wife and I love grey cod. We think its better than Halibut, way better.

Grey cod produce a very mild white, moist flesh.

We tried a taste test once. We beer battered, and panko'd grey cod, and halibut, eating them side by side. Soon we were fighting over the cod!

Over the years we've found "cod holes" around PWS. Those are the places we target. We've figured out to use a large bait, and a large circle hook. That keeps the small ones off.

Just try a grey cod sometime, bet you'll like it too.

BTW Grey Cod and Pacific Cod are the same fish.

Other cod species found in Alaska are the Black Cod which is almost never caught by recreational fishermen because they run so deep, and Ling Cod, which is not actually a cod, its in the greenling family.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    if you are willing to run about 30 miles, I can put you on as many pcod as you want.
    I for one would welcome the information or at least what to look for as far as bottom and anything else that may help. They seem to be around in spring, and early summer (June and very early July at the latest), then they just seem to disappear,...Try a pm if you want or since I am still a newby to the site, it may have to be posted. Thanks in advance for any tidbits,
    Jeff

Kevins
    I agree with you, we started keeping cod this year, when I cooked them everyone liked it better than the halibut. I stopped reading ruffle's post when he stated they had grey cod and not pacific.

I kinda like the idea though that many think of them (Grey/Pacific Cod) as a trash fish. Then there is more to put in my freezer. By the way Kevins and txguide, if you take the flesh down to the backbone, then roll the flesh off the ribs with the finger like a fillet knife to the skin, you lose less flesh and at the end of the rib cage, do a straight fillet and there will be absolutely no bones. You can even skin them like a Grayling with just the fingers too! I would give up the Halibut if I could get enough Cod to take its place in the freezer. Although the Butts are really fun to catch with rod and reel. Just love to fish,....

Quote Originally Posted by justjeff View Post
    I for one would welcome the information or at least what to look for as far as bottom and anything else that may help. They seem to be around in spring, and early summer (June and very early July at the latest), then they just seem to disappear,...Try a pm if you want or since I am still a newby to the site, it may have to be posted. Thanks in advance for any tidbits,
    Jeff
    You are to new to get PM's.

No secret, my go to place for Cod is the marker on the eastern side of smith island. 200 feet. Get as many as you wish, and have it please!

I guess its a little longer than 30 miles from Valdez tho.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by justjeff View Post
    if you take the flesh down to the backbone, then roll the flesh off the ribs with the finger like a fillet knife to the skin, you lose less flesh and at the end of the rib cage, do a straight fillet and there will be absolutely no bones.
    I caught a bunch off the Homer spit..... had a heluva time filleting them with all those WORMS wriggling about.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I was fishing in about 200 feet of water to the north of that small island about 30 mlles from Valdez this past Saturday and caught more then I wanted of those cod and halibut to 125 lb's (that what I was after).

Default Valdez Cod

Thanks, will look forward to them. would you have the lat long, or is it a personal spot? I can bet butts much closer, but am interested in the Cod. I was also looking for where to find out if it is posts, time or both to where one can get PM's, would you know?
    Last edited by justjeff; 08-23-2012 at 02:00. Reason: to add comment