Thread: My new toy

Default My new toy

We had a thread a while back about halibut rods and reels. I am here to report that my new rig will handle butts to roughly 120 lbs with ease and won't tire you out jigging all day.
    Full R&R.jpg

It is a Sea Magic 400 gram jigging rod made here in Texas with a Penn Fathom 25N (rated 30# drag) loaded with 290 yds of 80# Moimoi blue braid. The rod weighs 10 ounces and is rated for 80 - 200 lb braid. The reel weighs 20 ounces. Less than 3 lbs fully loaded.
    Handle.jpg

Nice rig! Not sure if you have fished with or handled the Cedros or Trevala.... if so how does it compare? What type of action does it come in? I see on another forum they are running about $180 for the 400g rod. What did this setup run you?
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

I paid $180 for the rod from the manufacturer, Serious Tackle, and got the reel for $159 on e-bay. It comes with a lifetime "fishing" warranty and a lifetime "cost to repair" accident warranty. It has a lot more "backbone" than the Trevala, which I like. I have another rod which is more parabolic in action, similar to the trevala, than this one and it was OK for jigs up to 12 oz and smaller fish but I didn't like it with 16 oz jigs or bigger fish. They also make a 600 gram model (I hear it is great for big tuna 100lb+ or amberjack where you really have to put some pressure on) and a 200 gram model which would be a ball with smaller jigs and lings or butts up to 40 lbs. Last year I fished Yakutat and got to use a light set up with an Avet MXL and I was sold that I needed a light weight set up. My only negative on the Avet was it had 14 lbs Max drag. (And the fact that new ones are $180 or more even on e-bay)

Nice looking setup for the $$$...you`ll have many a good day with it.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff