Thread: Gustavus trip report

Default Gustavus trip report

Took 9 guys with me to Gustavus the last week of July. Sorry for being so late with the post but I had some camera issues and ya'll cry when there aren't any pics.

The halibut fishing was some of the best I've ever had in 14 years. We limited every day (1 per person/day - slot limit) and kept 34 between 38 in and 45 in and 1 bigun (74 + inches - about 220). Five guys didn't fish the last day and went on a plane ride to see the glaciers. I don't have the exact count but we released at least another 80, 10 of which were between roughly 60 lbs and 120 lbs and another bigun (around 70 inches). It is really hard to measure a big fish in the water!

DSCF3051.1.edited.jpg

I'm afraid I've spoiled these guys. Six of them it was there first trip to AK. One of the first timers got the big one we kept. It took me 9 years to get my first 100 lb butt.

We were too early for the silvers this year and only got 16. But we did get into some Kings, we had a total of 11. They ran from about 19 lbs to close to 35 lbs.

GaryKing.jpg

I've got to brag on my new toy but I'll start another thread for that

Nice trip report....looks like good times were had. Thanks for sharing the report.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Sloka View Post
    It is really hard to measure a big fish in the water!
    tell me about it...(grin) That's an awesome time fishing, isn't it! Congrats on the 74" halibut.. not much measuring on that fish when it shows up under the boat! Those 150lb hali are tough to get a good measurement on.

Glad that all of SE is experiencing a resurgence in halibut. Folks, it's only going to get better! Believe it or not, you don't need to kill 2 halibut when you get a quality halibut for your 1 halibut.... not to mention chrome wild alaskan salmon to bring home.

Nice Al! Looks like a great trip.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

How deep for the Kings? I'm planning a trip out there but don't have enough room on my boat for my salmon tackle. Was thinking of jigging with halibut gear, but I don't really know the proper technique.

What outfit did you go with? Looks like you had a great time!!

Lapaiki, we went with Black Rock Charters. Chris works hard to put you on fish.

AKfishterminator - We caught most of the kings between 90 and 120, but that was almost a month ago and to be honest I couldn't tell you where we actually were fishing.

Which place did you stay at? Did you go to Gustavus by boat or aircraft? I looked at the website, it looks good!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFishTerminator View Post
    How deep for the Kings? I'm planning a trip out there but don't have enough room on my boat for my salmon tackle. Was thinking of jigging with halibut gear, but I don't really know the proper technique.
    I can't say I know the "proper" technique, but we have done well jigging Pt Wilson Darts and Deadly Dicks for kings and cohos. We drop to 20', jig a couple of times, freespool 5', and jig again down to about 20' from the bottom, then jig a few times and reel in 5' (two turns on a single speed reel). Once we catch a salmon we spend more time jigging around the depth where we caught it. The picture shows the fish four of us caught jigging for ~6 hours on a day in early June, fishing from Yakobi Rock down to Deer Harbor. We caught the kings and some of the rockfish in about 2 hours and then moved inside for some shallow water jigging. The kings came from water 100' - 150' deep, anywere from 30' to 120' down. Most of the lings and rockfish came from water 40' - 60' deep. This time of year most of the kings will already be in the rivers, but there should be lots of coho around. Other spots around Gustavus that often hold fish this time of year are the west side of Three Hill Island, the east side of Pt Adolphus, and Pleasant Island Reef.

Attachment 62521

Big_E

PS: That really isn't the biggest yelloweye ever caught; the picture was taken with a wide angle lens. The salmon were 12# to 15# and the yelloweye was probably 12#