Thread: Fly line/ leader set up for silvers?

Default Fly line/ leader set up for silvers?

Hey guys, I just bought a spare spool for my 8 weight reel and am looking to set it up for silver fishing. I've caught one silver while flipping for reds with my straight 30 lb mono set-up, but I didn't think that was the norm for silver fishing on fly. It's more of a cast and strip process isn't it, like streamer fishing for rainbows? Should I get a sinking tip, or floating line? What leader size, and how much backing? I appreciate your answers to these questions, and any additional info you're willing to add. My wife and I are headed up in 2 weeks and I'm bursting at the seams! Giggity-giggity!

Depends a whoooooooooooooole bunch on the water you'll be fishing. Around here a sink tip is as worthless as a politician's promise because most of the water is thin and slow. And our silvers don't like fast retrieves except for the 5 minutes it takes them to get into the river mouth. My suggestion would be that if you don't have use for a sink tip once you get back home but will have use for a floater, get the floater so your investment goes on giving. My favorite floater is the Rio Outbound, or if you're a novice caster, the Rio Outbound Short. Backing would be at least 100 yards, but enough to fill the reel along with the fly line. Round that out to 200-250 yards on all my reels. Leaders, you're turning over big flies much of the time so go with a 7.5' tapered to around 12#. If they're spooky you can add a 10# or 8# tippet to that and still stay under 9'. Longer than 9' is problematic with the bigger flies, as is using just a straight piece of mono for a leader. An advanced caster can probably work around it, but a beginner is trying to push a rope if he hopes to lay out a long, level leader at the end of a cast on a windy day.

Thanks Mr. Bear, that helps a lot. I'll be fishing the Kenai, Russian, and Anchor rivers. I'd like to head up to Montana creek as well-I love that little stream. What's the general technique: dead drifting, swinging, indicators?? Am I blind casting, or looking for individual fish? You mention the river mouth. As I recall, low light with an incoming tide is supposed to be pretty hot, right? This is my wife's and my fourth summer up on the KP, but we've always left before September. I'm waaaaay behind the learning curve for silvers and rainbows, but that's half the fun right?

There are folks on here that know those waters a whale of a lot better than I do, so I'll let them chime in with details. But in a day of fishing I may do everything you mentioned. As for the river mouths, I'm talking where they dump into the ocean on the coast rather than one river into another inland.