Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lots of bou at Eureka

Default Lots of bou at Eureka

Bunch by eureka and it wont be open much longer.( Forwarded from a friend)
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    That can't be true. It's only been open not even a week yet.

It would be nice if they'd update the hotline, though...

Let me guess, you are huting the Denali Highway....

Pretty sure they haven't shot 5500 caribou yet.............

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Quote Originally Posted by AK Trout View Post
    Pretty sure they haven't shot 5500 caribou yet.............

I called today and spoke with someone in the office, they're nowhere close. He said he doesn't think they'll hit the bull quota at this rate at all this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    I called today and spoke with someone in the office, they're nowhere close. He said he doesn't think they'll hit the bull quota at this rate at all this year.
    This will be only the second year in over 30 as an AK resident that I have hunted Nelchina caribou. I have been up there 2x in the last month and both trips wound up in range of nice bulls and could have filled a Bou tag were it open. Funny thing about these hunts (and many cow moose tags for that matter) is the number of people I encounter who say "The animals just aren't there!". Last time I had a Nelchina tag, they "weren't there" in the little O and we tagged out 3 hunters in less than a day. Delta Cow hunt a couple years back we had a moose under the toneau in the back of the truck while a group of guys explained how there were "no moose". I am not really a very good hunter but I am optimistic and stay pretty vigilant in the field. Sometimes I find myself in the right spot and we knock something over. I have a feeling that some hunters get down when "they aren't there" and stop looking for them! Last year I glassed a little canyon and saw nothing, seconds later my hunting partner glassed the same canyon and a full curl sheep stood up. Funny how often that area that you are confident doesn't hold any animals actually does!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    This will be only the second year in over 30 as an AK resident that I have hunted Nelchina caribou. I have been up there 2x in the last month and both trips wound up in range of nice bulls and could have filled a Bou tag were it open. Funny thing about these hunts (and many cow moose tags for that matter) is the number of people I encounter who say "The animals just aren't there!". Last time I had a Nelchina tag, they "weren't there" in the little O and we tagged out 3 hunters in less than a day. Delta Cow hunt a couple years back we had a moose under the toneau in the back of the truck while a group of guys explained how there were "no moose". I am not really a very good hunter but I am optimistic and stay pretty vigilant in the field. Sometimes I find myself in the right spot and we knock something over. I have a feeling that some hunters get down when "they aren't there" and stop looking for them! Last year I glassed a little canyon and saw nothing, seconds later my hunting partner glassed the same canyon and a full curl sheep stood up. Funny how often that area that you are confident doesn't hold any animals actually does!
    You have the tier tag? or draw permit?

There are resident herds in some areas. If the big herds aren't around, you can always look for them. Not a lot of choice on horns, but meat is available.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    You have the tier tag? or draw permit?
    Mid 90's I had a tier tag, this time around going with the wife on her draw tag.

We only have a few days to hunt so may get skunked but my little lady tends to have a lucky streak...

Here is a pic from the last trip out. No fancy camera on this guy, just an iPhone.

I have hunting fever! Can't wait to get out with family and hunt for 2 weeks. Doesn't matter if we get animals or not just want to be in the wilderness with family. Keep the pictures coming!

Pardon my ignorance, when you talk of Eureka are you talking about eureka on the Glen Hwy or the Eureka near Manley?

For Unit 13 discussions ... that would be near the Glenn Hwy.

Had a friend that flew over thats all I know, It was for tier 1

Had a friend that flew over thats all I know, It was for tier 1
    From memory, last year, they issued an EO when the cow quota was about to be achieved. After several more weeks, they closed the hunt to the draw hunters by EO. If they were close to the total quota, they would likely be updating their hotline and likely releasing some numbers to the news and then shut the draw hunt down first.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    From memory, last year, they issued an EO when the cow quota was about to be achieved. After several more weeks, they closed the hunt to the draw hunters by EO. If they were close to the total quota, they would likely be updating their hotline and likely releasing some numbers to the news and then shut the draw hunt down first.
    Yep.

No way they would be near the quota already. So far, it is only the Tier I hunters out there because the draw season hasn't started yet. There aren't even enough Tier I permits out there to reach the quote even if every single one of them was successful which we know won't happen.

There is no way possible that the quota is almost reached. Funny how people start rumors about that stuff. I'll be surprized if it gets closed by EO all year. Last year the quota was less than half of this season. No reason to rush out and get one before it closes this year, for once, everyone can rest assured there will be a winter hunt.

"The department has already issued 575 bull only drawing permits and 5,439 either sex subsistence permits. Along with federal subsistence hunters, existing permittees are expected to harvest only 3,400 caribou, short of the preliminary quota of 5,500 caribou available for this season.

Given this, the department will issue an additional 2,425 drawing permits to applicants from the original drawing process (Nov-Dec 2011 application period).

Source: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ses.pr07312012

Im just waiting for them to EO a second caribou for me.

Sorry, Guess I should of left out the "won't be open much longer" and just said the caribou are there so some folks on here don't get their panties in a wad over a statement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast