Thread: Looking for first canoe purchase...

Default Looking for first canoe purchase...

Hi all, I am looking to purchase an all around canoe mainly used for hunting though. I have rented and used canoes for over night and week long trips before, but have never owned one. I am just looking for suggestions on what to buy/ what to look for in a hunting canoe. From the research I have done I am really liking the Old Town Predator 150SS. The ability to have a motor really appeals to me and has pretty much sold me on a square stern. I also like the very high weight capacity of the 150SS as I would like to use the canoe for a lot of moose hunting, and hauling around a moose with 2 people and a week's worth of gear isn't light. I have been searching for the predator to buy used, but cannot find it. That being said, I am currently due to head back to AK from Afghanistan in a few months so I do not know if sportsmans in Anchorage (or some other store) offers the Predator, does anyone have any information on that? Is that because not many people have them in AK? My spending limit for a canoe is right around 1500 plus or minus a bit. Obviously, a killer deal would be great, but I'm sure as with everything else, you get what you pay for.

Also, I would like to use this boat for family outings with my wife (overnight camping and small day trips). What things should I be looking for in a canoe in order to go up and down the knik? Would it be possible to go across the Knik Arm (around point mackenzie) in a canoe? Like I've already stated, my main goal with this canoe would be moose hunting.. Power up river/stream and float down.. Or somewhere that I could drive to a pick up and drop off point..

My experience with canoes has been in calmer waters (only up to class II at some points) on multiple day trips.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions and help.
    God is my strong fortress...
    He makes me as surefooted as a deer, enabling me to stand on mountain heights.
    He trains my hands for battle; he strengthens my arm to draw a bronze bow.
    2 Samuel 22:33

nice small and light canoe...not a moose hunting canoe though...more a duck hunting/fishing canoe...put a caribou in it with your gear maybe...

Carrying a caribou and small and light are not compatible. There is a move to cheap small canoes. Don't buy into it. A canoe for overnight trips should be 17 feet or more. Do some research and buy a high quality used boat. Paddle as many canoes as you can first. For Alaska Royalex or similar materials are probably best. Aluminum boats are okay but slow and heavy. An Old Town Tripper works for everything.

I picked up a used 17' Grumman square stern for $500 and a used (1981 vintage) 7.5hp Mercury outboard from the same guy for another $500. I spent probably $200-300 at the mercury dealer - spare prop, spark plugs, fresh lower unit lube and etc. Adult PFDs were $25 each at Fred Meyer's, I am pushing right up against your $1500 budget. Get the seat cushions that are also throwable PFDs, best $15 each I spent on the boat so far I think.

There was a similar 17' Grumman on the Fairbanks craigslist about two weeks ago for $700, I haven't seen it in person. I haven't been on the Knik. I haven't put an animal in the boat with my wife and our camping gear yet, but we are going looking again this weekend. I'll see how it does with a 'bou before I try to put a moose in it if I can.

How much gear do you really need in the boat with you is a critical question.

EDIT: I just rememebered my vintage three gallon gas tank leaks if it is over about half full. Replacement three gallon tank at Sportsmen's was $50, samey same with six gallon capacity was $60, then new line from tank to special motor fitting with squeeze bulb was another $40, so I shot another $100 replacing the fuel tank, but the parts were in stock in Fairbanks. I did keep the old fuel line and squeeze bulb...

EDIT II: I broke one of the 1981 plastic paddles the first time I stuck it in the mud to push off a sandbar, that was another $25 for the cheapest possible replacement...

second on the roylex and 17' length for a multiday trip boat! look at wenonah spirit II. I also run a 15" oldtown square stern discovery that Ive got a 6 or 15hp motor depending on situation/ conditions but have to say that it a 1 or 2 deer boat with another hunter paddler. That being said Id love a square stern 17-19 aluminum

thanks for all the replies! I will definitely have to keep my eye out for a used 17' or larger square stern then.. Knowing the limitations of 2 hunters and 1 caribou max is good, sad to hear, but good to know... I might just have to pick up a raft of some kind to tow behind for moose meat..
    God is my strong fortress...
    He makes me as surefooted as a deer, enabling me to stand on mountain heights.
    He trains my hands for battle; he strengthens my arm to draw a bronze bow.
    2 Samuel 22:33

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorGuy View Post
    thanks for all the replies! I will definitely have to keep my eye out for a used 17' or larger square stern then.. Knowing the limitations of 2 hunters and 1 caribou max is good, sad to hear, but good to know... I might just have to pick up a raft of some kind to tow behind for moose meat..
    I think it depends partly on where you are going. I have heard over and over that a 17' Grumman will hold two hunters and two moose. Haven't seen it. Don't know how big the moose were. Don't know how big a water is involved either. And you got the experience thing.

For me, everywhere I can get easily involves some time on the Tanana and I have only had the thing about a month. Two hunters with camping gear and a caribou is going to be an exciting ride across the Tanana. With years of experience - especially on the same stretch of river - I could see giving up "some" free board to bring out more meat - but I don't want to end up on some paramedic's Tshirt with the guy who went halibut fishing out of Valdez in a kayak.

19 FT Grumman SQ with out a motor , 2 people camp gear for 5 days an a 50 inch Moose with bone in , no head, just horns will float out of the close area [ NO MOTORS ] that I hunted a few years back , not much free board about 2 inches but good water it did float an we made it , good water , don't know about a 17 FT , maybee no bone , an small camp , might be able to do it ,
    SID

I will have to second the we no na spirit 2(17 foot).. extremely impressed. In my avitar pic I am loaded with both hinds.. bone in.. and a shoulder.. half our camp.. and was floating light as a feather. I eventually loaded the horns and head on the bow.. no difference..

was extremely comfortable in light white water.. still manageable, and lots of free board.

Kinda think I could have floated the entire moose..