Thread: Ticks in Alaska

Default Ticks in Alaska

FYI - now that hunting season is upon us.
    From ADF&G http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rticles_id=557

I found a tick on my lab on Sunday - even though he is primarily retired to my recliner and hasn't been anywhere out of the yard (residential Eagle River) for several days. ADFG does want specimans submitted if you find them.
    If you are very lucky in life, you will have one dog.

Default Ticks in Alaska

I didn't see what was being used to prevent bug/ticks, any suggestions?

I hope this isn't something (more than likely will be) that the state doesn't wish it would have acted on more in a couple years. If livestock has to be inspected, then why not other domestic animals. I found a tick on my dog after he returned form training in the lower 48. I looked over every sq inch of him, found one tick, removed it, put frontline on him, and have not had another problem the last few years. If the state is proactive in its actions, it could save a lot of headache later. We'll see what happens.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Oh man.....this isn't good news....
    "The emotions that good hunters need to cultivate are love and service more than courage. The sentiments of the hunt then become translated into art." James Swan, In Defense of Hunting

Thanks for sharing ...something we should keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    FYI - now that hunting season is upon us.
    From ADF&G http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rticles_id=557

I found a tick on my lab on Sunday - even though he is primarily retired to my recliner and hasn't been anywhere out of the yard (residential Eagle River) for several days. ADFG does want specimans submitted if you find them.
    Several years ago the dog & I were walking by the house and there was this mouse, actually a short tailed vole, it didn't run, just kinda wobbled there, then the dog tried to grab it, well I called the dog off the mouse and soon saw why it didn't run. On closer scrutiny I saw it was covered with ticks and was so weak it could hardly stand up. Alarmed I called Fish & Game and they assured me that the ticks wouldn't be jumping onto us. It didn't make me feel much better when they informed me that certain tick species go for certain host species. If there are none of the preferred hosts, I would assume they would latch onto the nearest warm blooded mammal, like me or my dog. No one asked to see these ticks, no I did not save the specimen in the freezer, I destroyed it...didn't want those bugs hatching out. I have seen these on squirrels, ( I mean they all look the same to me all bloated out with blood ) but haven't noticed any on the game animals we've harvested 'yet'. I have seen pictures of moose that are infested with ticks and it's not a pretty sight. New neighbors just brought up some horses this spring from out of state, and I doubt they were thoroughly inspected for insect pests at the border. And yes I could see where dogs could transport them easily also. Next time I encounter any ticks I'll be saving a specimen! Would hate to be butchering an animal and have ticks running up my arms!

Mouse with Ticks 2 sm.jpgMouse with Ticks sm.jpg

Sorry to hear about this. I have lived here for 40 years mostly in South East but some in Fairbanks, Delt jct, Seward and Prince William Sound with both cats and dogs and I can say that I have never seen or had any kind of Tick or Flea problem. I even talked with my parents and other relation all of which say the same. I hope this is not a sign of the lower 48 problems catching up with us in this area of living...

I'm from Minnesota originally... Ticks are a major ptoblem there and in a lot of other area's down south. they (ticks) can make you not want to even go out and mow the yard, let alone go out into the woods...
    I really hope they don't get established up here!! Especially the ulta tiny "deer tick"......

regards..
    reuben...
    "SUA SPONTE"
    "Illigitmati non Carborundum"

I'm 51..... thats 12 in man years.....

Default Tick update

Just got an update email from ADF&G on the tick I found in August:

The tick that was from your dog turned out to be pretty unique (and the parasitologist called it 'amazing' actually. I received 29 ticks this year, and this was the only one of this species.It was Amblyomma americanum, the Lone star tick.
    Amblyomma ticks are warm climate species and there is no way this species could survive the AK winters. It's known range includes the SE USA and northwards along the Atlantic Coast to southern Maine.
    However, we know that immature stages of A. americanum sometimes feed on birds and we sometimes record this tick outsude of its range (e.g., in Ontario) on dogs, presumably as a result of bird-introduced nymphs detaching and then molting to adults during the warmer months. I recently heard of a record of A. americanum from a dog in WY but your AK record trumps that one. This species of ticks prefers deer but also dogs and people. It is a vector of diseases such as Ehrlichiosis and tularemia. Good to know this one won't be able to establish here, unlike the majority of the other ticks we identified.
    Hopefully your dog didn't get sick.

Thanks for bringing it in.

Kimberlee Beckmen, M.S., D.V.M., Ph.D.
    Wildlife Veterinarian
    Division of Wildlife Conservation
    Alaska Dept. of Fish & Game
    1300 College Road
    Fairbanks AK 99701

Phone: 907-459-7257
    Fax: 907-459-7332

Great followup Milo. Looks like ADF&G gave some good feedback. Did you dog get sick?

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    Great followup Milo. Looks like ADF&G gave some good feedback. Did you dog get sick?
    Nope. No problems with dog other than old age.
    Was surprised to get all the feedback from them. Greatly appreciated.