Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep pack under 35lbs??

Default Sheep pack under 35lbs??

I plan for 7 days of sheep hunting. Pack with all the gear in it weights 35.7 lbs. I had it at 35lbs but added crocs for comfort at the end of the day for my feet. This does not include rifle. Anyone out there getting there pack much lighter. I could drop about 2 -3 lbs buy getting rid of my airband handheld, headlight and batterys, and some candy bars and nuts but I dont think it is worth the loss of these items. All my food is at 8lbs witch is very min. as it is.

DON'T leave the crocks! Include the rifle weight in your planning, it will factor in while you are packing. Candy bars will help give you a quick energy boost, and increase your morale. Just don't go overboard with how many you bring. I just got back from my sheep hunt, and I will be trying to get my pack down to 35 pounds or less. Good luck!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Don't short youself on the food, you'll need the energy. 8lbs of food seams on the lighter side, that's 1.15 lbs or 18 oz. per day. I like to figure 1.5 lbs of food per day. If you figure an avg. of 100-120 calories per ounce of food times 18 oz you're eating between 1,800 and 2,160 calories per day. That's considered dieting on a sheep hunt. Even at 1.5 lbs or 24 oz of food per day your only at 2,400-2,880 calories per day. You'll easily burn 2,500-3,000 calories if you do some hiking.

That is one light weight pack and not much for food. You can get it lighter by leaving optics and cooking stuff at home but thats about it.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    That is one light weight pack and not much for food. You can get it lighter by leaving optics and cooking stuff at home but thats about it.
    Last step is to shove a vacuum hose into it and suck all that heavy air out!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Helium Injections!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Good call I never thought of doing that, knew I had forgot something!

got to have calories, some sugar, and carbs..just don't see 8lbs for seven days cutting it...that's me though, sure it has and will be done by many. I just like a little variety. best of luck and get a big one!
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I would add about 5 lbs of junk food. Cheese block, smoked salmon... Stuff like that. If it weighs to much eat a bunch early in the hunt. No reason not to have a couple extra pounds of comfort food early cause if it keeps you from getting to the sheep then you probably won't get back out with one on your back anyway! I went bare bones last year and literally praised god when sitting in a rainy canyon looking at fog shrouded scree fields my hunting partner busted out a 3lb sack of indulgent trail mix!

Smoked salmon, MH blueberry cheesecake, and MH rasberry crumble! You won't be sorry you brought them along. Also some gatorade drink mixes are very nice to have.

Hunting and fishing makes me hungry! How did your sheep hunt go duckslayer?

I have it in another thread. Didn't tag out this time, but headed back up in a day or two to give it another shot.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I have it in another thread. Didn't tag out this time, but headed back up in a day or two to give it another shot.
    Yeah, I just read that on the other thread just now. Maybe you will get one this time. I'm not telling you anything, but that is a lot of work and planning not to kill anything. But oh well, that's hunting eih?

For a week my pack is usally around 43lbs thats my Bow arrows, water, food the whole nine yards. I could cut down a couple pounds if I went with the smaller tent but I kinda like the extra room.

How do you guys do it??? My gun and pack weighs in at 19 lbs. with nothing in it... I wish I could just carry 35 lbs. but I am only at that weight if it is a day hike...lol I guess that is why I stick with float hunting and carrying all my stuff in a raft much easier... I am jealous of you guys that are able to pull this off, but I am a Fat ***** and I like to eat... I would carry 35 lbs of Snicker Bar if I could...lol

Well, there certainly are always ways to get a lighter pack. I mean, my epirb is feeding my fears right? And toothpaste is just cosmetic, i guess. Toilet paper might be overboard for some. I even read on another site guys going without underwear. I remember one of my first sheep hunts I encountered a guy who bought cheap walmart gear, hiked in and used it two days to shoot a sheep and then abandoned it in the mountains for the pack out. I guess my headlamp, reading material, tabasco, teriyaki mix, morning coffee all could go. But you know what? Enjoying my hunt is more important to me than simply getting a sheep. Whether I get one or not I also want to enjoy my time in the woods which is my primary goal. Crazy huh?
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

I'm in the sollybug on this one.........I can carry 70 pounds just fine, and I will eat 20 of that 70 then put 100 on top of that and hurt my way back........

that is my plan anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    ........ a guy who bought cheap walmart gear, hiked in and used it two days to shoot a sheep and then abandoned it in the mountains for the pack out.
    That really pisses me off big time. Pack it in, pack it out I say. If you can't then you don't belong out there.

The 50 pounds for the 10 day hunt last year was the lightest my pack has been yet. Still refining gear and necessary items.

Bring your wife and make her carry your pack, then it can be 70 pounds and all you will need is your gun Be safe out there, I agree with BigDog - 35 pounds of snickers who needs a tent when you have just eaten 18 million calories in snickers bars.

I am taking my wife, but she won't be packin 70 pounds - even if we kill a critter. She can handle 50, but 40 or anything less is better. BTW- I really don't want to carry 150 pounds for 30 miles - it'd take me 2 weeks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast