Thread: waders for moose hunt

Default waders for moose hunt

I am heading for a float hunt in the Brooks Range this fall. Dates are sep 15 thru the 25th.

I need some suggestions on the right type of waders that would be good for some hiking along the riverbed, and a possible hike to a vantage point.

Thanks,

Bryan

HipBoots

Use LaCrosse HIPBOOTS.
    Insulated, Big Chief.

Quote Originally Posted by FALCON View Post
    I am heading for a float hunt in the Brooks Range this fall. Dates are sep 15 thru the 25th.

I need some suggestions on the right type of waders that would be good for some hiking along the riverbed, and a possible hike to a vantage point.

Thanks,

Bryan

Bryan:

On our float trip we all wore stocking foot chest waders while we floated and hiked, a lot of guys prefer hip boots so I think it boils down to personal choice.

Check out the waist high stocking foot guide pants. I'm a big fan. Drier and easier to walk in than hip boots. Much better temperature control than chest high waders. I also prefer my porridge to be neither too hot nor too cold.

Just washed the insides of my lacrosse hip boots and it took 3 days in front of a fan for the insides of em them to dry. But when you're in the field, changing socks is the next best thing to having dry feet

Default Re: waders for moose hunt

For a few extra dollars check out the Kokatat Tempest stocking foot dry pants. Lightweight, breathable pants that are 100% dry and comfortable.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by FALCON View Post

Thanks,

Bryan
    Bryan,
    I float hunt for Moose every year and you will probably find that you are wearing your waders 100% of the time you are out, especially if you are hunting a river you can wade across. Nothing sucks more than spotting a Moose across and down river, than having to run back up river (or viscera/versa) to get to your raft. That or having a wet butt all day, during a cold float.
    We use a good stocking foot wader with a good set of back country wading boots to go with. I have found that for the money Cabela's is tough to beat. Here are a few suggestions:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear/Mens-Footwear/Mens-Waders/Mens-Fishing-Waders%7C/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/104674680/i/103926780/Cabelas-Guide-Techtrade-Stockingfoot-Waders-150-Regular/1167610.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3F N%3D1101197%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd721045&WTz_l=SB C%3BBRprd721045%3Bcat103926780
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Ultralight-2-Camo-Wading-Boots/1382540.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog% 2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26f sch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dwading%2Bbo ots%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=wading+boots&WTz_l=Header%3BSea rch-All+Products
    Best combo deal: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Premium-Dry-Plus8482-Breathable-WadersUltralight-2-Lug-Sole-Wading-Boots-Combo-150-Tall/1208911.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog% 2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D20%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%2 6Ntt%3Dwading%2Bboots%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpar tial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form _state%3DsearchForm%26recordsPerPage%3D20%26search %3Dwading%2Bboots%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProduc ts&Ntt=wading+boots&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products#productChart

Simms also has some great stuff, if your pockets are fairly deep :-)

Louis Cusack

Thanks guys for the help.

I just bought my license and moose tag online! I want to stay dry, so I will be looking at all these waders.

Wet cheeks are no fun on a float. Chest waders for sure. If you plan on floating more in the future buy the best you can afford. Certainly a piece to invest in.

If going non insulated consider a good pair of fleece pants. Floating by itself is pretty nonproductive and you can be relatively cool.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

It's a given that it's going to rain at least one or more days while you are floating. You'll be nice and dry in waders and a good rain jacket. Hip boots will make staying dry more of a challenge especially while sitting.

I'm doing a float next year, trying to decide also. Talked to some that say the breathable waders are noisey, neoprene are hot. We are going the last 2 weeks of Sept, so I'm leaning towards the neoprene for warmth? Talking to several that are doing the same trip this year, so I'm anxious to find out when they get back.

With neoprene you have more chance of just bein down right sweaty. Sweat can easily lead to cold. My Simms are no louder than my Kuiu rain gear and will breathe if my riverside activity level increases.

Once camp is made, I don't really foresee wearying waders all day every day though terrain conditions will dictate such. Unless I'm floating I'll be wearin the normal garb with boots.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I've got a pair- haven't tried them in the field yet but will this weekend. They seem like they are going perfect- double matieral and light comfortable boots. I've used Lacrosse hip boots up until now- I think it would be hard to go back- looking forward to being able to sit on wet ground and not having dew/leaves falling down in my hip boots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Springer View Post

Default Re: waders for moose hunt

http://www.kokatat.com/products/bibs...socks-men.html

Not only are these the lighter and more comfortable then any waders, you can combine with a dry top and have a dry suit. If you want extra warmth just add a wool base layer underneath.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

The tempest pants are really slick. I had my hands on a pair pretty often at AMH wanting them but just couldn't justify the buy, which is odd because I can justify any purchase.

Not sure how they would hold up. Sitting in a raft is one thing, but busting brush and alders is another.

Default waders

Thanks All.

I just bought a pair of Hodgeman nylon breathable chest waders with the wading boots.

I figure even if I never use them again, they will be a good investment on this type of hunt!

Make sure you take the patch kit with you and a tube of aquaseal also. Did you get bootfoot (boots attached) or stockingfoot (separate boots)?

stocking.

I bought a pretty good wader boot with a decent tread design.