Thread: Evan's First Ptarmigan

Default Evan's First Ptarmigan

Went out tonight to look for a caribou and after a bit of glassing decided to end the day with a short bird hunt for the boy. In just a few minutes the dog flushed it and Evan did the rest with his Mossberg Mini 20.
    Looked for the rest of the flock but they hit 4' deep brush right at dark...not the action we were looking for so called it a day at 1. He was pretty happy with the first day of 5th grade and his first bird.

304914_462617833758406_814307960_n.jpg
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Very nice! Congrats to young Evan! 20 yrs from now, he'll look back at that picture,and smile for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Went out tonight to look for a caribou and after a bit of glassing decided to end the day with a short bird hunt for the boy. In just a few minutes the dog flushed it and Evan did the rest with his Mossberg Mini 20.
    Looked for the rest of the flock but they hit 4' deep brush right at dark...not the action we were looking for so called it a day at 1. He was pretty happy with the first day of 5th grade and his first bird.

"If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Default Evan's First Ptarmigan

Sorry to hear that he's back in school!!! Should be criminal to start school before the end of September. But nice bird, send my congratulations.

Congratulations, Evan! Let the journey begin. Good job, Dad!

Jim

Oh yeah! You'll want to save that one in your AOD profile so if it gets lost at home you can always get it back. Now that's a nightcap!
    Go Big Red!

That's how last years hunt went for my son, also in 5th grade at the time. And from the look on his face I'm sure he'll be talking about that bird for years to come. That shotgun looks like something I might be looking into. How does he handle the size and weight of it? Is it balanced well?

Quote Originally Posted by Odiebo View Post
    That shotgun looks like something I might be looking into. How does he handle the size and weight of it? Is it balanced well?
    The shotgun is a Mossberg Mini in 20ga. It is one of the bigger surprises I've run across. A buddy (without kids) won it at a Ducks Unlimited banquet... he called me up and asked if I'd be interested in buying it for my son since he couldn't even shoulder it!

It's got a 10.5" LOP with a 1" spacer to allow for some growth, 18.5" barrel and the action is scaled for the 20g a shell- weighs right at 5lb. It holds three 3" in the mag and even has interchangeable choke tubes....just like a full grown 500, only small. We're hoping to get him on some ducks this year with it too.

Evan does pretty well with it and it's balanced pretty nice as far as I can tell. Most youth guns are full size actions with a short stock and a shorter barrel. This one is scaled and it fits him fine. He is a little on the small side for an 11yo. but he can grow with it a bit.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Evan does pretty well with it and it's balanced pretty nice as far as I can tell. Most youth guns are full size actions with a short stock and a shorter barrel. This one is scaled and it fits him fine. He is a little on the small side for an 11yo. but he can grow with it a bit.
    Awesome, I'll be looking around for one this fall. Unfortunately my son broke his collar bone in a fall the last week of July, just when I got him comfortable with shooting something larger than a .22. He's got a Rossi .22/20 ga single shot break action, and the worse thing I did was to get him to shoot the 20 ga back when he was 10. It is too light a platform for him to experience his first shotgun (more recoil than my 12 ga Rem 1100). It's take a year to get him over his gun-shyness (is that a word?) and I was able to do it with my AR and lots of promising it won't kick. But I'm thinking a 20 ga pump will have enough mass to help absorb some of that recoil.

Cheers! very nice...and dreams of many more

sweet!!
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

That's a bird to be proud of. Send along my congratulations!
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Congrats to both of you. I remember when my son shot his first...I don't know who had the bigger smile, he or me.