Thread: What do you do with shrimp once you catch them?

Default What do you do with shrimp once you catch them?

Sounds like a stupid question, and I'm sure it's been answered before, but my digging with search isn't coming up with what I'm looking for....

If I'm shrimping, only have coolers full of ice, what is the best thing to do with fresh caught shrimp (other than eat them)? How do they keep fresh the best?

It's been a good while since I've caught any, and my dad dealt with that part of things when I was younger, so I'm just not sure.

Default What do you do with shrimp once you catch them?

If u r heading home on same day u can bring them whole or if u r staying out for a couple of days then pop off the head from the tail and store them in zip locks on ice and water. You can even fill the bag with water and freeze. I use to get the quart size freezer ones and put tails in with fresh water and seal up and freeze.

I cook them and eat them! They are so good fresh, but if you can't them all clean them put them on ice or freeze! Or call me I will help eat them

Pop the heads off, leave them in a colander to let all the water drain off them, put them in gallon zip locks and put them on ice. Keep for 3-4 days that way. I will go back after 8 hours or so and drain any water that has gathered in the bags as well.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

We always pop the heads off as soon as the pots are back over board. With the whole family there we pull heads as we pull the next pop. We put them in 1 gallon bags and keep on ice. When you get back to dock there is a gas station in Valdez that sells shave ice. Fill your cooler with that and it will keep all your fish and shrimp very cold for a few days.

First thing we do is fill a bucket with fresh sea water and let them purge. Once you see the water clouding up [30-45 minutes or so]swap the water for fresh. This time the water shouldn't get as murky indicating they've cleaned themselves out. Immediately after purging [you want to keep them live/fresh] we pop heads, put the tails into ziplocks and put them in cooler on ice. If you are lucky enough to get too many to eat, vac seal when you get home. We leave the shells on the tail and use freezer paper to keep from puncturing the vac bag. Oh, one more thing ~ as always [fish or game] when vac sealing we ALWAYS use plastic wrap first because it seems to extend freezer life and helps maintain quality. Don't thaw too much when you go to clean them. I start at the tail fan [pull it aft and off] and work forward from underneath. You'll be amazed how well this works compared to being stuck and jabbed by fresh/unfrozen shrimp. Enjoyed a few dozen just last night with some Yeloweye!

+1 to what AKluvr posted - except, we use big mouth plastic jugs to put them in after purging - like what maynaisse comes in at costco. No shrimp can poke a hole in those.

Default Re: What do you do with shrimp once you catch them?

Thanks for all the replies! Pretty much what I thought, but shellfish can go bad quickly and I wanted to be able to properly keep them fresh. Hopefully we'll catch enough for a few yummy dinners this winter!

Sent using the force

dump out of pots into bucket of salt water, let'em puke a bit, change water, repeat puke, pop off tails, put in ziplocks and bury in ice, when you get home freeze in plastic container (size is up to you) filled with water, when frozen solid remove from container and wrap in plastic wrap, place bricks of shrimp in freezer to enjoy this winter.
    P7200744.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Potbuilder.....How long between pukes and what's the max before you start popping heads?

All great info in above posts. One more thing we do if we're going to be out for a long trip (5+ days), we sometimes will par boil the tails caught early in the trip and then put them back on ice. Of course, this only works for those shrimp you plan to use in other cooked dishes later, but the process arrests any bacterial decay and they keep much longer on ice. We label our bags as "cooked" before vacuum sealing. The ones caught toward the end of the trip we keep raw on ice.