Thread: Valdez herring

Supporting Member

Default Valdez herring

Anyone tried jigging up fresh herring in Valdez and if so, any locations to suggest?

I'm sure they're there somewhere. I'll be watching this thread, too. It'd be nice not to have to pay for old, frozen bait.

Here is a link to some advice I got a while back on trying this. I never did get to try the suggested areas and the places we did try all we caught were young salmon. If you do give it a try please report back.
    Good Luck!

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Valdez+Herring

Quote Originally Posted by spike9542003@yahoo.com View Post
    Anyone tried jigging up fresh herring in Valdez and if so, any locations to suggest?
    Just outside the harbour you will see the sea gulls, drop your jigs there. I drop slowly and then pull slowly. When you feel you have fish on fight the urge to pull out. There are plenty more hooks for plenty more herring. We just kept drifting over the area and did great. Herring are actually a lot of fun to catch with the kids

I may have to try this. I've been wanting to try live bait under a bobber for silvers for quite a while...

Supporting Member

Appreciate the input and will post back with results from my trip (Aug. 22nd - Sept 1st).