Thread: Need Help on 243 Reloads

Default Need Help on 243 Reloads

I have a .243 that was handed down from my dad. I have done several loads with troubling results. I have loaded Hornaday 100 gr as well Noslar Partiton 100 gr. with 40 grains of H4831 powder. When I fire these rounds the primer disintegrates and occaisonaly will jam up the rifle until it cools down. I have been told that the load is to hot. I reduced the powder and get the same result. I bought some factory rounds, Federal Premium 100 grain Nosler Partition. The primer pocket stays in tack, but the primer will intend outward instead inward. Almost like it is being sucked out of the primer pocket. Is this a function of an old rifle that needs work or is my reloading recipe not quite right?

Default Gunsmith

Take some of the FACTORY AMMO cases fired in this rifle and the rifle to a gunsmith. something isn't right.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveman View Post
    I have a .243 that was handed down from my dad. I have done several loads with troubling results. I have loaded Hornaday 100 gr as well Noslar Partiton 100 gr. with 40 grains of H4831 powder. When I fire these rounds the primer disintegrates and occaisonaly will jam up the rifle until it cools down. I have been told that the load is to hot. I reduced the powder and get the same result. I bought some factory rounds, Federal Premium 100 grain Nosler Partition. The primer pocket stays in tack, but the primer will intend outward instead inward. Almost like it is being sucked out of the primer pocket. Is this a function of an old rifle that needs work or is my reloading recipe not quite right?
    You have troubles.

The 40 grain load is not hot for a good 243 rifle but that is definately signs of high pressure. Shoot no more. Tell me more about the gun. Is the barrel marked 243? Or is it 244? Do the fired case look like the unfired factory rounds, (dimension)? I think it could be very excessive headspace or an obstructed bore. Does a cleaning patch and jag go down it freely? What is this old rifle? Remington model 722, by chance? I could tell the problem with enough details.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

The dimensions are the same. The barrel is marked .243. It is a Winchester Model 88. Do you know any good gunsmiths?

I forgot there are no snags in the barrel. I smoothly run a patch through the barrel.

Sounds like headspace. Probably going to need a trip to the smith.

I have a Win Model 88 in .308 and the firing pin in mine broke and had to be replaced. The reason I bring this up is my gunsmith told me the older 88s had weak firing pins/springs mechanisms and one of the signs the mechanism was about to fail is the primer will mushroom outward due to the weakened spring.

Also make sure the rotating lugs on the bolt are locking up. To check this remove the clip and watch the lugs from the bottom through the magazine to see if they rotate fully as you cycle the lever action (with an empty rifle - of course). Good Luck

Woody

Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveman View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith?
    Where, Pookeepsie NY? I know about 100 good gun smiths.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?