Thread: Valdez Silvers

Supporting Member

Default Valdez Silvers

Anyone have any status on the Silver fishing in Valdez this year?

Default Re: Valdez Silvers

Headed that way today....let you know monday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    "Horns make pi$* poor soup"

I got back Monday and saw quite a few silvers jumping between Mineral Creek and Shoup Bay.Small silvers being caught with a few nice ones.A lot of ones and two's being caught,but I noticed the small boats fishing close to shore among the rocks did the best.And one boat limited two days in a row as I talked to them at the camp ground.
    Seems like everyone trolled herring and an assortment of lures.Fish where deep I'll tell you that.If the boat didnt act up, Id be down there again this weekend.

Not first hand, but I have also heard that fishing is picking up a lot within that stretch between Mineral Creek and the Narrows, echoing what Daniel said. I hope it.continues to build. Still a lot of time between now and Labor Day when I'll be there, so I'm hoping for the best!

Sent on my communicator

I also heard that the silvers just aren't in yet. Maybe very late. there are some commercial guys that commented on the return of silvers to Valdez. Not much expected, and quite possible they will not even put their nets in after Labor Day. I have fished Valdez
    silvers for the past 10 years the end of August, and never failed to fill my creel. Maybe just have to work a little harder at it this year.
    No free handouts. Get out and enjoy the scenery, throw some bait and you will certainly catch fish.
    I'm thinking about putting in at Whittier and making the trip to Valdez. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Gene

Yeah, fishing wasn't great last year compared to the last several. Definitely had to put in more time to find the fish. Had the most success from the city dock, even better than a boat. Caught a couple at Allison Pt. but it was slow, so I moved and did really well on one tide from the dock. The next day it was slow there, but the harbor was packed with fish. You may have to move around with the schools to have decent fishing.

ill be down there later this week but just to clarify what do you mean by the city dock? do you mean the one that like 30 feet in the air or do you mean the small boat docks, or is that what you meant when you said harbor?

Quote Originally Posted by AllisonPtRocks View Post
    ill be down there later this week but just to clarify what do you mean by the city dock? do you mean the one that like 30 feet in the air or do you mean the small boat docks, or is that what you meant when you said harbor?
    The City Dock is the one tall one by the Ferry Terminal. There are usually a good number of people fishing off of it when their are fish around. Netting is interesting, but not as bad as you might think. I just take the hoop off or our normal landing net, attach 3 four foot or so ropes to the hoop, then attach the other ends to a carabiner roughly centered in the middle of the net making a kind of bridle. Then I attach a 30-foot line to the 'biner. Throw a rock in the middle of the net to weigh it down, lower into the water and let it sink, then have the fisherman guide the fish over the sunken net and pull straight up. Works like a charm.

People generally fish off of there with herring, either under a bobber or off the bottom. I just put a whole troll herring on a mooching rig and cast it out and let it sink and drift naturally. Works great.

Hope that helps and good luck! Report back, because I'll be there Friday....

Oh yeah...they can be in the small boat harbor too. It's usually easy to tell if they are. Jumpers every where. Snagging, spinners, spoons, herring...those can all work in there. I've really found the key to success in Valdez is to find the fish first because the schools move around. Once you do find them, fishing can be amazing.

Coho, i have been going up to Alaska just for the last 7 years or so. I always check this forum for updates. I had to change my user name since i had a Hotmail account. Anyways, i have always enjoyed your posts for the information and how you present it. I will be in Valdez this year this Friday also till Monday. I would loved too hook up while we are there to put a face to the posts. Either way fish on!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by jammis View Post
    Coho, i have been going up to Alaska just for the last 7 years or so. I always check this forum for updates. I had to change my user name since i had a Hotmail account. Anyways, i have always enjoyed your posts for the information and how you present it. I will be in Valdez this year this Friday also till Monday. I would loved too hook up while we are there to put a face to the posts. Either way fish on!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    If you're on shore, look for a white Denali with a large roofbox with various fishing gear stickers on it. I'm probably somewhere nearby, especially if fishing Allison or the Dock. I noticed from your other post that you're going to be with your son. How old is he? We'll have our 7-year old with us this year, and a playmate is always welcome. We're also going to have use of a boat this year, so we may not be on shore much if the fish aren't. I'd invite you out, but my wife's dad and one of his buddies are supposed to be there and may want to me to take them out. Basically, I'm winging everything based on where we catch fish.

If you want to find me, text 907-830-3970 and we may be able to meet up, or if you find the truck I'm the goofy looking guy with glasses....

Well, I fished Valdez on Saturday and then again on Sunday, got a couple each day. They are deffinately not in like they should be. Looks like the crappy fishing in the valley has now migrated to crappy fishing in Valdez. Did good on Halibut and Lingers though. Guess we will have to wait andtry it again next year. Won't be able to hit Valdez again this year. Always a butiful ride though... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    Well, I fished Valdez on Saturday and then again on Sunday, got a couple each day. They are deffinately not in like they should be. Looks like the crappy fishing in the valley has now migrated to crappy fishing in Valdez. Did good on Halibut and Lingers though. Guess we will have to wait andtry it again next year. Won't be able to hit Valdez again this year. Always a butiful ride though... "fishon"
    Trolling, mooching, out deep, in the bay....too many questions. We need more details, man! lol

Bummer the salmon weren't cooperating, but I'd be just as happy with some halibut and lings at this point. We have room in the freezer for some white meat....

yeah were heading there thursday morning. we normally fish allison until outgoing tide then move to the small boat harbor to try at instead have even caught a few at the old sea otter rv property

Anything in the last two days? I'm heading out sometime today. Probably won't fish until Saturday at the rate I'm getting things organized and figured out...

Nevermind. Last minute change in plans. Trying Seward on Sun-Monday instead. WAY less drive, and much better reports.

Any new word on the silvers, and can someone tell me more about the commercial guys. I am heading down on Tuesday night for about 4 days.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam