Thread: Boat sank off Crafton today

Unhappy Boat sank off Crafton today

My family and I were fishing near Crafton Island today, a boat hit a rock on the outside of the island and sank, sadly one person did not make it.

Saw a bit about it on the 6 o'clock news.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thats really sad.

There are allot of rocks on the outside of that island. Very dangerous place.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kevins View Post
    Thats really sad.

There are allot of rocks on the outside of that island. Very dangerous place.
    I don't believe it's any more dangerous than any other part of the sound. This is a sad story and a reminder that we need to know where were going and what is under water. Chart maps save lives.

I saw that on the news as well and was surprised. We were in the area, and heard the coast guard talking quite a bit to a Seward charter operator who had a passenger with a head injury, but nothing about an accident at Crafton until the news report. About what time did this happen? Were they running at speed when they hit the rock?
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

It happened around 2pm yesterday, We heard the may-day and rushed over there ,by the time we got there the boat had already sank. It only took me about 15 minutes to get there. alot of other boats did respond to include 3 seiners. It was good to see people doing what they could.

Jrogers, I am fairly certain that our kids go to school with the family involved in this tragedy. My daughter is friends with their daughter. The Crafton area can be tricky to navigate without the correct charts and navigation equipment. There are several "can openers" that extend way beyond the island itself. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Sad to hear. I'm surprised that this accident was only a minor blip in the news world. Hope to hear more details since we often learn from others tragedies. I wonder if the life vests weren't readily accessible, assuming that she didn't have one on because she had to be located by divers. Anyone know the name of the boat?

Charterboat Operator

major bummer, as Pete says, my familys thoughts and PRAYERS do go out to the whole family.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Sad to hear. I'm surprised that this accident was only a minor blip in the news world. Hope to hear more details since we often learn from others tragedies. I wonder if the life vests weren't readily accessible, assuming that she didn't have one on because she had to be located by divers. Anyone know the name of the boat?
    I am just speculating from what I have heard, but it sounds like it was more an instance of her being trapped inside the cabin of the boat or otherwise unable to get out. If they hit a rock at speed, I could see the potential for someone being thrown around and either injured so they couldn't move themselves easily or knocked out from hitting their head. Sounds like the father got the kids into the dingy, but the boat went down quickly and she never made it out of the cabin. Very unfortunate, but could have been much worse as well.

I was about 30 miles away, and could hear the radio chatter intermittently. I did hear someone say that they were trying to break open a hatch on the bow to try to get to her. If the boat was partially sunk while doing this, it would have dropped like a rock. It was sad listening to it on the radio. One thing that bothered me was that the Coast Guard would announce that there were people in distress and to watch for them, but they would never tell a specific location.(Crafton Island, etc...) It was a while before I actually knew where they were.

Any updates?

There was another article in ADN:

http://www.adn.com/2012/08/16/259088...-in-sound.html
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default kudos to the good samaritan Alaskan boaters

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Many will not click on links, so here is a short excerpt:
    Mosley had praise for the citizens who rescued the survivors.

"When it comes to the boating community in Alaska, it's astounding," he said. "These 'good Samaritans' perform quite a number of rescues for us throughout the season. They're able to respond and get to an area in a much quicker way than we can either with a vessel or by helicopter. It shows how close-knit the boating community is in Alaska. They have this mentality that says, 'Lives are at stake; we can always fish later.' An understanding that life is worth more than whatever else they could be doing. It's an amazing thing."

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Many will not click on links, so here is a short excerpt:
    Mosley had praise for the citizens who rescued the survivors.

"When it comes to the boating community in Alaska, it's astounding," he said. "These 'good Samaritans' perform quite a number of rescues for us throughout the season. They're able to respond and get to an area in a much quicker way than we can either with a vessel or by helicopter. It shows how close-knit the boating community is in Alaska. They have this mentality that says, 'Lives are at stake; we can always fish later.' An understanding that life is worth more than whatever else they could be doing. It's an amazing thing."
    It's not astounding to me at all that we'd help each other out. It's what I'd do (have done) and sure most other Alaskans would do in similar circumstances. Mosley must be new to Alaska.

Sad story though. Crafton Island area is indeed a notorious place for rocks. I remember seeing a sailboat fetched up hard on the rock off the northeast side back in the early 80's. We always stayed clear until we learned the clear water well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I saw that on the news as well and was surprised. We were in the area, and heard the coast guard talking quite a bit to a Seward charter operator who had a passenger with a head injury, but nothing about an accident at Crafton until the news report. About what time did this happen? Were they running at speed when they hit the rock?
    jrogers: Same here! i don't know about you, but from what I heard during that radio communication, the last thing I ever want to do is get injured and need evac in the Sound! That and never ever even remotely consider going out without a working radio. I did this once, thinking my Sat phone was a good alternative. WRONG!

Thank God for the charter caption and the Princess Cruise Ship for responding. They saved that guy's life. my impression anyway! Also! The Caption on the Charter seemed to handle the situation very well.
    Last edited by cusackla; 08-19-2012 at 11:56. Reason: add content

Some things that I have taken away from this tragedy,and I'm not saying that this family did not do or consider these things: 1. I will no longer leave port until everyone on my boat knows how to deploy my raft,I should not be the only one on the boat that knows this. 2. everyone will know where my ditch bag is and how to use the radio and flare gun. I am also going to add a handheld gps to my bag. 3. I will always leave a float plan with a friend. And finally if I can't save myself I hope that I have people nearby like the Captain's of the "Sound Therpy", "Saltwater Addiction" , and the diver that I watched retrieve the victim. Things happen fast out there be ready!

Quote Originally Posted by abnAK View Post
    Some things that I have taken away from this tragedy,and I'm not saying that this family did not do or consider these things: 1. I will no longer leave port until everyone on my boat knows how to deploy my raft,I should not be the only one on the boat that knows this. 2. everyone will know where my ditch bag is and how to use the radio and flare gun. I am also going to add a handheld gps to my bag. 3. I will always leave a float plan with a friend. And finally if I can't save myself I hope that I have people nearby like the Captain's of the "Sound Therpy", "Saltwater Addiction" , and the diver that I watched retrieve the victim. Things happen fast out there be ready!
    Sounds like you were there. Can you give us more information about what happened beyond the news report. Was the boat running at speed and hit a rock? Was it in the passage between the mainland to the east of Crafton or on the other side. Any idea of the circumstances leading up to the accident?
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default Boat sank off Crafton today

Sounds like she wasn't able to make it out of the boat? Anyone know if she was injured during the impact? Such a tragedy.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!