Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 Mile Caribou 2012

Default 40 Mile Caribou 2012

The bride and I are catching a charter into the Yukon Charlie / 70 Mile region for caribou in two weeks. I've been hunting this herd from the road system for last three years. We decided to look for the elusive herd bull.

I thought I'd start some discussion on 40 Mile herd for the year, and perhaps post some pictures. I'd like to invite comment and helpful advise about the area and the herd. Who has done this hunt?

See ya around Tok.

Take a look at the Boone and Crockett caribou page. Good luck!

I am flying out of Fairbanks on the 25th to hunt them. My second trip to Alaska. Looking forward to it. I think we are in GMU 20B.

Spoke to Fish & Game in Tok yesterday, they're saying the herd is dispersed right now from Chena to Good Paster. 40mile reports one Tundra Donkey down so far

Anyone hear anything else out there?

It's been a long time since i've done this hunt, figured I might as well give it a shot and see what happens. Will be keeping an eye on this thread.

Any 40mile bou reports out there? I'm doing final prep for the trip. Anyone hunting this herd this year?

This is my first time into that area. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect? I'm thinking it will be similar terrain to area around Eagle. I'm told the bou are dispersed in groups of 5-10 or so. I'm used to seeing these animals migrate, moving from A to B. Are they trailing and patternable in their "home" range?

I'm looking for some "cliff note" from anyone that's done this fly in before. PM if you prefer. Looking for some discussion please.

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    Any 40mile bou reports out there? I'm doing final prep for the trip. Anyone hunting this herd this year?

This is my first time into that area. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect? I'm thinking it will be similar terrain to area around Eagle. I'm told the bou are dispersed in groups of 5-10 or so. I'm used to seeing these animals migrate, moving from A to B. Are they trailing and patternable in their "home" range?

I'm looking for some "cliff note" from anyone that's done this fly in before. PM if you prefer. Looking for some discussion please.
    Who are you flying in with? I've done this hunt with 40 Mile Air, if that's who you're flying with I can give you some general ideas of what to expect.

Mdhunter,
    Thx for your replies, sorry I didn't connect before we left. We ended up on the North Branch of Salcha. We harvested two nice bou.

good luck,
    Tom

Returned from successful hunt on Tuesday. We harvested two nice caribou from mountain top near Upper Salcha River. Beautiful country, rough terrain, interesting weather.

Note: This thread had over a thousand views and three people took the time to help me out.

Good luck out there!

bou hunt 2012 toms cam 292.jpg

Way to go catamount, those are some nice bulls! Your wife looks even more happy than you are in the pics and that is saying a lot!!

Nice going to you and the wife Tom! That country looks familiar, I may have hunted that location before...

Quote Originally Posted by catamount;1168634)
    Note: This thread had over a thousand views and three people took the time to help me out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG
    62941[/ATTACH]
    Congrats on a safe and successful hunt !! I too am interested hunting this area in the future, however I've never been there so I couldn't offer any insightful info, sorry .
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Great job!

Thanks for sharing! Looks like you had a great trip!

I have to imagine that most of the people reading this thread (and most other threads) enjoy reading and learning about new areas, but don't have any first-hand experience to offer. I've done a lot of caribou hunting, but have only been in the 40 Mile area once when I was 10 years old. Count me among the thousand people who read, but who did not contribute. It's not that there aren't plenty of helpful people here, but most of us have our niche where we feel qualified to offer advice.

Congratulations on what looks like an excellent hunt! Man, you scored on the weather...and on the caribou!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Returned from successful hunt on Tuesday. We harvested two nice caribou from mountain top near Upper Salcha River. Beautiful country, rough terrain, interesting weather.

Good luck out there!

bou hunt 2012 toms cam 292.jpg
    Apparently three is all you needed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Apparently three is all you needed!!!
    Yep. And since the OP has a plane, the situation seems akin to god asking the beavers for advice on hydro power.

Nice bou pics!

Default 40 Mile Caribou 2012

If I had a plane I wouldn't be asking any questions, other than maybe some accessible air strips but with tundra tires its all fair game lol

Regardless, nice bou.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Talking Hunt details

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    If I had a plane I wouldn't be asking any questions, other than maybe some accessible air strips but with tundra tires its all fair game lol

Regardless, nice bou.
    Thx folks,
    This was my first fly-out hunt. I've done several fishing trips via Beavers before. This was a new adventure. Anyone contemplating this hunt or with questions, I'm more than happy to share some experience. If you don't reach me on the Forum, my email is Catamount65@gmail.

Here's the details:
    • 40 Mile Air Taxi dropped us on a ridge.
    • 40 Mile Caribou herd.
    • My GPS said we were 2 miles from head waters of North Branch Upper Salcha River, 25 miles from Central.
    • Registration Hunt- one bull each
    • First bou, we stalked over 2 miles on mountain ridges (3500-5000 ft) after glassing them.
    • Intended to bow hunt, but winds were too strong.
    • Used our trusty backup, .375 HH with 300gr.
    • My bull actually took two "lethal" shots to drop.
    • Second bou was 200 yards from the tent, that's why the wife was so happy.
    • Wife's shot at 150yds, the bull's heart was ripped in half and broke front leg. Bull didn't die right away.
    • Weather...good...lmao. Not! It broke to kill the bou and take pictures. We had hurricane winds on the ridge.
    • The pick up was the only blue sky that we saw, and that was fleeting.
    • Boned out, we had five bags each for approximately 200#.
    • The heads are off to the taxidermist for European mounts, velvet on.
    • Found great taxidermist in Anchorage. There is a vast difference is pricing out there.
    • Note: As of last Wednesday, the 40 Mile herd was dispersed and no where near Chicken.

Good luck to everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast