Thread: Hunting companions wanted for SW Afognak trip, mid-Oct

Default Hunting companions wanted for SW Afognak trip, mid-Oct

I got drawn for cow elk on SW Afognak for Oct. 8-22nd and would strongly prefer not to go it alone... I thought I had a couple people interested but it looks like I'm on my own. If someone else out there has a DE 713 tag or looking for bears or even just wants to shoot some deer, I'm more looking for someone to share costs with and camp with for safety. I have a young family and safety is a priority to me. I was intending to fly to Kodiak around Oct. 13th and then take an air taxi to Malina Lakes and camp out for roughly a week or until I get my game, then go back. I plan to buy an electric bear fence and rent a sat phone and camp somewhere near Malina Lakes and hike every day looking for the elk. I've been an Alaskan resident for about 5 years and hunted moose here, but before that I hunted elk in Alberta about 5 years. Anyway, post back or message me if interested.

Garnet

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

couple questions to fill the blanks...

first this is my ultimate solo hunt dream!!! congrats on the tag, i have yet to pull one and keep trying...

so...

what does spilt cost equate to? 50/50? on that.. are you willing to spilt game harvested also? ( note bear tags open a few days after close of elk) are you willing to hang out those extra days and help your partner fill his tag? even if you fill tag or not?

on another note i have investigated this hunt several times.. have you considered a DNR cabin in the area if avalible? $25 a night... is pretty secure lodging in that country.. weather sets in harsh that time of the year...

have you looked at the maps good an long? do you have a plan? have you looked at carrying a small pack raft or other if setting into a lake area? sure a lot shorter hike across the pond with a paddle.

last time i priced this hunt i had it down to ~2200.00 for ME to fly in seahawk with up to 600lbs of gear.. that included Ferry to Kodiak,and having my truck and a freezer there to carry meat home. i would suspect 2800.00 this year for one... close to 4K for two..

so.. what are you willing to carry or not?

good luck would love to joinya... but i have to move a dozer off my mining claim that week.. as its the only time i can...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

By splitting the cost, I mean, all the costs of the trip are split evenly amongst everyone. And any game harvested would be split evenly across everyone too. At least that's the way I've always done it.

Actually when I originally planned this hunt, I planned to stay down there beyond the expiry of my tag so that people could hunt bull elk on the registration tag. But I can't stay longer than about the 25th or 26th as I have to go back to work sometime!

I would consider a cabin but I'm pretty sure there are none near where I have to go. I'm pretty restricted in terms of location. SW Afognak according to my permit is defined as south of a line that connects the head of Malina Bay with the head of Back Bay. Then there's Native allotments to avoid. So I was just planning to fly in to Malina Lakes and see if the pilot would keep an eye out for elk as we're coming in. And then set up camp near the lakes there. I want to hunt deer also. You're allowed up to 3 per hunter.

I have looked at the maps and plan to hike up to high points to glass for elk during the day...

When I was thinking of driving down, and taking the ferry, I had priced it out around $2,500 total; $500 each way on the ferry (with four guys) and $500 in to Malina with the 206 and about $650 out with a Beaver if we had some game. Then gas for the pickup. But then, if we fly down to Kodiak on Alaska airlines, that changes the price a bit; it's around $380 round trip to Kodiak per person. Flying there & back is a bit of a hassle as you have to bone out the meat in Kodiak and store it in coolers going back to Anchorage, but less chance of spoilage than 2 days of ferry riding and driving from Homer.

So to sum it up, I had it figured at around $600 to $1,200 per person depending on how many people come. Flying to Kodiak vs. taking the pickup truck across on the ferry, doesn't effect the price all that much, just changes the amount of time.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

look at the Ferry again.. oct goes into winter rates.. driver goes free, and it was under 200 bucks round trip for the truck.. 2 years ago
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

You might want to carry that bear fence with you while hunting and put it around your elk once you get it down and are packing it out so the bears do not take it away from you. The bears on Afognak are well known for their fondness of fresh elk meat. From talking to people and reading hunt reports on here I have not heard of any elk being left over night and it still being there the next day and I have not heard of any camps getting trashed by bears. There was a guy a few years back that did get swatted on the rear while taking care of morning business though.