Thread: Recommendation for FAA IFR examiner

Default Recommendation for FAA IFR examiner

Was wondering which examiner you all would recommend for my IFR rating. Have final stage check left and hoping to knock it out before I go bear hunting on the 5th of May. Was thinking I wanted to use Dick A.(cant remember his last name, but he will be on vacation until the forth of May.
    Thanks for any help.

Terry

Where are you?

If you can get to Kenai or Soldotna, I would recommend Dean Eichholtz. he is the DPE I use for my clients.

Alex
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

It sounds like you are in the Anchorage area and are thinking of Dick Ardaiz (sp?), the owner of Aero Tech at Merrill. I have heard he gives a decent ride, but have not sent a student with him.

I usually use Dick Lochner, at Birchwood. You can meet him there, or for an extra 50 bucks he will meet you in town. I think he gives a really good ride and is always fair. Hon Kinze is very good, but really hard to schedule with, and is also in Anchorage.

Doesn't your flight instructor have a favorite? Scheduling a check ride is usually their job.

Good luck!

Doug

Default Choice

This where I'm at, My first flight instructor wants me to use one examiner and my new instructor just returned back to the area as has no recent preference. My first instructor now works for Pen Air, and is not aloud to fly any more unless its with them. My personal feeling is I should be able to fly with any examiner and pass or I dont deserve the rating. Would you have Dick Lochner's number, I called the number 694-2616 listed on the FAA web site and it said no longer in service.

Thanks, Terry

I forgot about Dick Lochner, he is a good guy.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Hi Terry,

I left my address book at work, but call Take Flight at Merrill and they have his number.

In my experience instructors like to use one or two examiners that they know. I have used 4 different examiners in the Anchorage area and all give somewhat similar rides and charge similar fees. But I have had positive feedback on 2, neutral feedback on 1, and nothing positive at all to say about another. So, the choice is pretty easy.

Good luck on the ride.

Doug