Thread: Anyone else see Killer Whales by Anchor Point?

Default Anyone else see Killer Whales by Anchor Point?

We were out about 5 miles off Anchor Point on Friday. We had 3 or 4 halibut bleeding off the side of the boat when a large (I guess they are all large when in a 22 foot boat) male Killer Whale slid under my motors trying to get to the fish. I can still see the big eye looking at me between the main and the kicker motor and his mouth starting to open as he went by. I think that since the hali were laying even with my extended transom, he could not get the angle to grab hold of them without hitting the boat, as he went by. Lucky for us he did not hit the boat or motors. We did not give him another chance as we grabbed them out of the water rather quickly. After the one pass under the boat he, a female and 2 smaller KWs breached about 20 yards behind the boat and slowly swam towards Kenai. His dorsal fin looked to be 5 -6 feet tall. Lesson learned: Do not leave your fish in the water too long after you bleed them. The whales make you feel pretty small when they are up close.

I watched one near Portage Creek (Turnagain Arm) once.

I have seen them crusing up the inlet while fishing off whiskey gulch before....Heard the sounds of them exhaling...Told my buddy I just saw an Orca surface. He told me I was on drugs and laughed...Sure as hell a small pod surfaced a couple hundred yards off the boat...Cant miss that Dorsal fin...He ate some crow for that one when he saw them
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I didn't know KW's where even close to this area of alaska.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Surfcaster Extraordinaire (Personal Records)
    Sand Shark 5'2" 68lbs
    Halibut 128lbs
    Musky 42" 18lbs

We have killer whales in the Cook Inlet and PWS all the time. Have had many encounters with them off Anchor Point. One year, as a pod was passing about 100 yards away, we had a female bring her youngster over to our boat. They stopped right under the boat and you could hear the "chatter" between them as they sat under the boat for a bit, then they swam back to the pod and continued up the Inlet. It was like mom brought the kid over and told him, "this is a boat and sometimes they will hang some food off the tail for us".
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I've seen 'em just about everywhere I've been on the salt up here. I've also seen them in Turnagain Arm. Several years ago I think one even got stuck out there. Thankfully, they've never shown any aggression toward the boats I've been on (or any other boats that I know of). As mentioned, they can be pretty darn big when they are as long as the boat you are in!! In PWS one year, I was in a 24' Bayliner and we had an entire pod playing off of our bow. I'd say bow wake, but they were clearly too big to get much from our little wake....they just hung out with us. Very, very cool experience.

Fishing out of Seward this year we saw a few pods out by Elerington

Fishing out of Seward a couple years back we had a whole pod breaching about five feet away from the boat while in a cove. It was great seeing them that close.

You mean these? We saw them on Sunday. It was a great day on the water
    [IMG][/IMG]

Default See them all the time off Anchor Point

We see the Orca's all the time off Anchor Point, Last trip out on the 29th, we saw about 15 at least, they like to follow the silvers in, a real good dinner for them. Lots of Hump back whales in the area also.

I've seen them right out form Whittier before but never seen them in CI......cool...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Nice shot! can see them blowing spray.
    Was reading that killer whales attack boats with white bottoms and pilot and other whales like to go after red bottoms. Some thing to think about when painting

Quote Originally Posted by AlcanRon View Post
    You mean these? We saw them on Sunday. It was a great day on the water
    [IMG][/IMG]
    That is a beautiful shot...I think I'd have that thing up on the wall....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Glad I didn't run into them. I was out in my kayak out off whiskey all weekend. Some porpoises got kinda close. I heard them Aways off and my first thought was I hope those aren't orcas!

I was down watching Belugas chasing salmon headed for Fish Creek out KGB. A while later a pod of KWs came in and managed to grab a couple beluga's. They actually tossed one around for a while playing with it. Pretty cool to watch unfortunately it was way back in the days before every phone took pictures... heck it was back before you could walk more than 20' out of the house and still make a call!

Glad to know. Wife and I where just talking about orcas the other day while watching belugas in Turnagain arm.

Ive seen a couple humpbacks out of homer on Coho Dave's boat but that's my extent of whale watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Surfcaster Extraordinaire (Personal Records)
    Sand Shark 5'2" 68lbs
    Halibut 128lbs
    Musky 42" 18lbs

We saw a great show of humpback whales several days ago off of Starisky Creek about 5 miles. Excellent.

WAY COOL, REFAK! What a show that must have been.

We ran into a pod of orcas yesterday just inside The Green Can off The Spit. They were breaching, making long surface runs and doing a LOT of tail slapping. I couldn't tell if they were chasing sea otters (sure didn't see any around!), salmon, or some sort of bait fish. Here's a couple of the better shots I got:
    2 orcas.jpgtail slap.jpg
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I saw some in the same place last year in May, really cool to see them just cursing around.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

pod is still in k-bay, chasing salmon.
    saw a dozen yesterday, they went from anisom out to aurora and then were in eldred again last i heard.
    also 3 humpies and a fin off hesketh.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/