Thread: Rain Gear and Wearable Life Jacket Recommendations

Default Rain Gear and Wearable Life Jacket Recommendations

I am looking for recommendations for a wearable life jacket or possibly hybrid inflatable type jacket (stormy seas Alaskan?) that would comfortable to wear while fishing. I am also looking for recommendations for good quality rain gear for fall fishing fishing, primarily from boat. (Grundens Clipper 82 Parka?)

We will be coming up this year in late September thru early October and I understand that it can be pretty cold and wet that time of year. In years past I have been there in August and just used Redhead brand stretch rain gear and light undergarments which worked fine. Also, we have never worn life jackets while fishing the Kenai but I think with as cold as the water gets in the fall, this year might be a good time to change that as well.

Stormy Seas are my favorite. I have used them for about 20+ years, never used in the water though. Comfy and warm. However they are not Coast Guard approved. That means that they don't count as a required PFD. The rain gear I'm most in love with is Grundens. They make the best. Harvestors tops and bottoms are great. They don't have any kind of a backing and the inside doesn't stay wet. But for sport fishing the Sund line is great. The gear has a fleece lining, and is nice and stretchy. They don't make a bib , but for sport fishing..... The Sund tops come in a few styles. Check out the Grundens Sund line!! Good stuff. Helly Hanson makes some stuff thats the same type, its a little cheaper too I think.

Grunden or HH PVC bibs and a Mustang float coat.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I've been using Stormy Seas since Mike first brought it on the market. I'm on my third coat after completely wearing out the other two in very hard use. I have a pristine Mustang float coat that's pushing 20 years old. It's still pristine because it's just too danged hot for active wear, so it stays in the rack. Good gear, but for idle wear.

I agree on Grundens or HH raingear, but there's a new player on the market I think. I just picked up a coat from Carhart at about half the price as Grundens, and I've been trying without success to destroy it this summer. Really well made.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I've been using Stormy Seas since Mike first brought it on the market. I'm on my third coat after completely wearing out the other two in very hard use. I have a pristine Mustang float coat that's pushing 20 years old. It's still pristine because it's just too danged hot for active wear, so it stays in the rack. Good gear, but for idle wear.

I agree on Grundens or HH raingear, but there's a new player on the market I think. I just picked up a coat from Carhart at about half the price as Grundens, and I've been trying without success to destroy it this summer. Really well made.

Which style of Stormy Seas jacket would you recommend for summer and fall use? We will primarily be fishing the kenai river from boat with an occasional trip out to the salt.

Also, which carhart jacket are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by KenaiKeys View Post
    I am looking for recommendations for a wearable life jacket or possibly hybrid inflatable type jacket (stormy seas Alaskan?) that would comfortable to wear while fishing. I am also looking for recommendations for good quality rain gear for fall fishing fishing, primarily from boat. (Grundens Clipper 82 Parka?)

We will be coming up this year in late September thru early October and I understand that it can be pretty cold and wet that time of year. In years past I have been there in August and just used Redhead brand stretch rain gear and light undergarments which worked fine. Also, we have never worn life jackets while fishing the Kenai but I think with as cold as the water gets in the fall, this year might be a good time to change that as well.
    I wear a Grundens rain coat, but don't know the exact model. It's a "fabric" one and not PVC coated, but it was being sold as "waterproof rain wear" at the Gear Shed a few years ago, and I've never had any problems with it NOT being waterproof. And I can just throw it in the wash when it gets totally slimed and stinky. I love it. And HH bibs that I've had for about 3 years and a few hundred days of fishing in ALL types of weather. I love them.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Maybe a stormy seas vest for more mobility and check out grundens gage line of raingear, nice and lightweight.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

The wife and I use/like Cabela's Roughneck Dry Plus raingear. It's high quality and currently on sale.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products
    Cabela's inflatable vests are also on sale. Got mine in camo because I use it during hunting season as well.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

Quote Originally Posted by KenaiKeys View Post
    Which style of Stormy Seas jacket would you recommend for summer and fall use? We will primarily be fishing the kenai river from boat with an occasional trip out to the salt.

Also, which carhart jacket are you using?
    Any with a hood. We're real fond of the ones with hoods, essentially a zippered "hoody." That hood outweighs other factors when the weather is marginal.

Dunno what the Carhart model is. Looks like Grundens with a snap-on hood and very slightly lighter. Unlike the Grundens I've owned, it has a neoprene cuff inside the sleeve, stopping the water-in-the-sleeves issue with all other commercial weight raingear.