Thread: Got Powder and Primers?

Default Got Powder and Primers?

Has anyone else noticed the shortage of reloading supplies around Anchorage?
    I have gone to all of the stores around town and can't find what I am looking for. I talked with a merchant at an unnamed retailer and he claims that there is a national shortage because of the war. That seems kind of odd to me. Isn't most ammnition and components produced overseas anyway. I have definitely noticed the price increase for bullets over the last couple of years but I figured that was because of the rising cost of raw materials. I was just wondering what all of everyones thoughts and opinions were on this matter. Do you think this is a simple supply and demand dynamic at work?

I have noticed the price of primers up to over $25/box! Bullets would be cheaper if they were solid silver! Come to think of it that would be a good bullet, of course I'd have to wear a mask to use them. Hmmmmmm...!!

I only buy powder and primers locally and mail order everything else, saves money. No more of a shortage than normal cycles.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy,
    As you know I am new to reloading. I have always known that sportsmans warehouse has the best supply of anything outdoors. When I went in to buy powder and primers the other day and they didn't have it I couldn't beleive it. Are you saying that this is just a normal cycle. It wouldn't be the first time that a SWH employee blew smoke.

Talking silver bullets

They also work good for werewolves. You and Tonto have other uses for them?

I've noticed that the stores like Sportsmans Warehouse are low, indeed. However, that particular store has been low since they had their friends/family sale. It appears that they havn't restocked yet. I don't know what the delay is though. Other stores don't seem to have the same problem but they also don't carry the selection that S.W. does. Can't explain it.

Try Boondocks in Eagle River, great selection and prices, and they often buy lots of older reloading supplies and pass the savings on to you.

Quote Originally Posted by senecanation View Post
    ... I talked with a merchant at an unnamed retailer and he claims that there is a national shortage because of the war. That seems kind of odd to me. Isn't most ammnition and components produced overseas anyway...
    All military for the US military ammunition is made in the USA with the exception of one item. It's a specially designed French bomb for shattering concrete (runways) and making it un-repairable.

I noticed the shortage at sportsmans too. This is speculation, but based mostly byworking at walmart part time years ago and also working at mountain view sports.
    Most big chain stores (like walmart, sportsmans) rely on a regional method of reordering, they combine factors such as season, average duration of product on shelf, things like that then make a huge order based on aniticpation of the entire region, Alaska is tied to the pacific states, hence the reason, turkey calls and deer scent are always in the store up here. The sportsmans ordering program doesnt recognize that we dont have turkeys to hunt. Or that we require a larger order of 454 cassull dies than 30-30'S (learned this info from walmart employment)

The cost of explosive things goes up with the cost of fuel, those things are hazardous and must be trucked or barged. In our case barged, wich doesnt happen all that often and can encounter delays. (learned this one from mountain view)

Default shortage

I believe it is a combination of materials used for the war effort, natural resouces and who supplies components for military use. For instance; Federal supplies the Lake City Arsenal with components, so...
    This may be considered heresay, but Sportsman's Whor, uh, Warehouse seems to be having some, uh, financial problems, believe it or not.

probably having growing pains. they are popping up everywhere! for me they have lost there shine however. Time to start my own store!