Thread: Yamaha 4 stroke Repair in Whittier

Default Yamaha 4 stroke Repair in Whittier

Can someone tell me if there is a shop in Whittier who works on Yamaha 4 stroke outboards in Whittier. I've got an oil leak and can't tell where it's coming from. I keep my boat in Whittier and would prefer not to have to tow it back to Anchorage.

I had some problems with my Honda outboard last year and called everyone in Whittier, no one I could find would touch an outboard. If you find someone let me know.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks, I find it amazing with all the boats there that no one is capitalizing on that opportunity. I guess I'll be dragging her back to Anchorage to get it fixed. Thanks for the reply.

Is it a big oil leak? I find oil residue in my engine housing every so often but not much. My oil level never moves on the dipstick so I've just chalked it up to oil spilled when changing out the filter. Those stupid filters are mounted upsidedown so there's almost no way not to spill a little every time I change it.

Sorry to hear you have to haul it back to town. I've rarely heard of problems with the Yamaha 4 strokes. Keep us posted on what you find out.

I checked the oil level and it is halfway between the high and low level marks so it is definitely leaking. Just before leaving my boat in the storage lot, I noticed some oil on the swim platform. I looked up and noticed oil was dripping out of the cowling. I took the cowling off but could not tell where the oil was coming from. The motors are 2006's and I noticed when I googled the issue there was a thread some time ago from forum members who had the same problem with Yamaha F150's manufactured in 2006. I never saw a resolution on the problem, so I'm hoping someone will see this and may know what the problem is.

I can't remember which of my motors seems to always have a trace of oil under the cowling but I do know one was manufactured in Dec of 2005. If it will help you out I'll take a look at it when I get home and if it's the right motor you're welcome to come by and we can dig through it. If we find a leak maybe it will help you locate yours and then you could potentially fix it without hauling it all the way back. That being said, if you're not oversized and have to pay the ridiculous amount for the tunnel, it might just be easier to bring it home. Let me know if I can help.

Might take you up on that. The boat is oversized and I don't have a current permit. Would be nice to not haul it back if I can avoid it.

My twin 150hp Yamahas have manufacturer dates of december 2005 and july 2007. I think its the 2005 that leaves a little oil residue under the cowling but its so small I cant tell right now. If you still have my number your welcome to come by anytime.

GolfNut,

I had an oil leak coming out of the bottom of the cowling on one of our Yamaha F100 motors. It turned out to be an oil pump that was going bad. Chad at Dewey's informed me that at one time there was a factory recall on that motor for an oil pump problem. He looked up my motor via the serial number to see if my motor was part of the recall. It was not. The installation of a new oil pump ran me around $600.

I would start with calling Chad at Dewey's to describe your problem and have your motor serial number for you motor available.

Good luck.

Doug

Doug-

Thanks for the info. I did call Chad yesterday at Deweys and described my problem to him. He seems to think with my motor it is most likely leaking from the bottom of the powerhead. He did not think it was anything that needed to be serviced right away, that I could wait until the end of the season and then bring it in for him to look at. I appreciate the info.

John