Thread: 2013 DIY trip

Default 2013 DIY trip

Hello I'm new to this forum. Sorry if I ask a question that has been asked recently. A buddy and I are trying to put a moose hunt together next fall after all the research I have done I think we would like to do a float hunt. Are there some good rivers within driveing distance of Fairbanks that would be class I or class II. We can rifle hunt or bowhunt depending on what the area dictates. Are there some rivers in this area that a guy would have a good chance at getting into moose? Open to sugestions, any Info is apreciated. Thanks

Hello forkhorn, Welcome to the hunting forum. I think you would have more success with getting the information you are looking for if you were a little more specific. For example, I noticed you mentioned rivers within driving distance of Fairbanks. What exactly does within driving distance of Fairbanks mean to you? Do you mean within an hour's drive? 2 hour's drive? Do you want to drive to the river drop off and pick up point? Do you want to fly into the drop off and float down to the road to your vehicle? Do you want to drive to the drop off point and get picked up at a remote location downstream? Do you see where I am getting at? There are many options here. I am not trying to discourage you, but I think others would take you more seriously if you were a little more specific. You mentioned you have done a lot of research. What have you found out from your research so far? Have any rivers in particular caught your attention? If you have some rivers in mind, there are many experienced float hunters here on the forum that would probably be more than willing to answer some specific questions about different rivers.

Thanks Bushwhack Jack for the response, I will be more specific. when I said I had done some research it consisted of reading alot of hunting ariticles, reading the Alaska aadventures on Monster Muleys. Com. and 10 years ago talking to a guy from Fairbanks that said a float trip was the way to go . So recently a friend aproached me about going to Alaska on a moose hunt, he said he could get some of the trip paid for thru some venders he works with and my job would be to get it set up. My wife and his wife lived in Fairbanks before ( not at the same time they didn't know each other then ) so his wife and my wife and kids are going to stay and visit some friends in Fairbanks while my buddy and I hunt. My wife has emailed some of her friends and asked about inmormation about moose hunting so far only one emailed back she said she would be glad to see my wife and that she would talk to her husband ( he is a pastor ) and see if someone in the church could give us the info we were looking for. But haven't heard back from them again. So thats when I found this hunting fourm and thought I would give it a try. So I have come to the conclusion It would be nice to rent a raft and a truck in Fairbanks, have my wife drop us off and then pick us up a week later at a pickup point. My wife couldn't remember any river names around there, so I am open to suggestions. I don't have any particular river in mind. So I guess driving distance from fairbanks would be a tank of fuel unless there is someplace to buy fuel along the way. Thanks

Okay. Well that certainly makes more sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to me it sounds like you are interested in a low budget float hunt and you are not interested hiring the services of an air transporter to access more remote rivers. If this is the case I would suggest maybe trying either the Gulkana River, the Fortymile River, or Birch Creek. All three of these rivers meet your description. You can drive to the drop off and pick up points. They are all within a full tank's drive away from Fairbanks. And all three have limited opportunities at Moose, Caribou, and Bear. But you should expect company. Anytime you can drive someplace in AK there WILL be other people. Most people from the lower 48 have an expectation that because Alaska is so big the road system must not be crowded. The only problem with that assumption is that there is not much road in this very large state. That and the fact that 95% of the population lives on the road system. Good luck with your research and planning. I hope this helps.

Thanks Bushwhack Jack for the info it is a starting point. Are these rivers you mentioned a draw area or can you get a tag over the counter. Do Moose and Caribou seasons run at the same time? I would be interested in a caribou but not a black bear ( we have plenty of those to hunt here) Would love to Kill a Grizzley some day but I know you have to have a guide for that. Another question is what unit or units are these rivers in? Thanks If you ever need info on hunting Colorado I would be glad to help.

Lots of data available as well with your DIY. As Bushwack pointed out lots of people hunting the areas next to the road so your expectations IMO should be reasonable however keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars. A good place to start is by researching the ADF&G information and some BLM data concerning the rivers in questions. Check out the links do a little research and refine your questions and search and I am sure someone will fill in the gaps. Look at some of the ADF&G press releases as well I think you might find some enlighting informaiton concerning Griz and Non-Res

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.main

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ations.hunting

http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/nlcs/birchcrk_nwr.html (Birch Creek)

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/content/ak...lkana_nwr.html (Gulkana)

http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/nlc...rcrk_nwsr.html (Beaver Creek)

Hope the data helps!

Richard "Moose" Mousseau
    BMR

Quote Originally Posted by forkhorn View Post
    Thanks Bushwhack Jack for the info it is a starting point. Are these rivers you mentioned a draw area or can you get a tag over the counter. Do Moose and Caribou seasons run at the same time? I would be interested in a caribou but not a black bear ( we have plenty of those to hunt here) Would love to Kill a Grizzley some day but I know you have to have a guide for that. Another question is what unit or units are these rivers in? Thanks If you ever need info on hunting Colorado I would be glad to help.
    They are in units 13 and 20. Use the links BlueMoose provided you to find more info. The ADF&G website will give you all the info you need to find out what is legal and at what times. There are draw, general, and registration tags available for both those units. Some overlap, some don't. You'll have to look those up on the ADF&G website. If you have second degree kindred relatives up here you are not required to have a guide for grizzly bear. The Gulkana and the Fortymile are shorter rivers. You can float both of them in a few days, making it a nice 7-10 day hunt. I have never floated Birch Creek myself, but I would like to someday. That river is much longer and from what I have read about the river it would take at least a week to float it, so unless you have a couple weeks or more to spare you might want to stay away from that river. Good luck.

Thanks BlueMoose and bushwhack Jack some very good information. Couple more questions What would it cost on average to have a bush pilot drop us off on a river to float. I know it would depend on how far but just average $500 or more? what do you think the sucess rate would be on the rivers you mentioned %10 or higher versues be flown in somewhere would it double the sucess rate or triple it? Also I just read some very cool information it said a big game tag may be used for a species of equal or lower value. Is there any catch or could I use a moose tag on a caribou. That sounds very cool have never hunted anywhere where you could do something like this. And whats the chances of seeing wolves should a guy get a wolf tag? I'm out of luck on second-degree of kindred for a grizzley. Thanks, Mike

forkhorn. I don't really know how to answer your question. I never hunted in Colorado, but I would imagine a good analogy for you would be hunting off the road system vs. hunting on the road system up here would be similar to hunting private vs. public land where you are from. I'm not gonna even attempt to try to throw out some averages and percentages, but let's just put it this way. You get what you pay for. Yeah, you could probably find some air transporters that would take you out for $500, but that would probably be the bare minimum you could expect to pay.

forkhorn, where in CO you live? I live in Highlands Ranch, CO. I did a float hunt north of Fairbanks last year and would be happy to help you in any way I can. My hunt was apparently a higher budget hunt than what you are considering (more bush plane time to get to where we wanted to go), and am not going to be very helpful in stream selection or identifying budget transporters, but happy to help if you want to drop me PM or provide your contact info.

CoGriz thanks for the reply would love to talk with you not sure how to PM someone yet Just new to this site. I live near Paonia , Its not to far from Delta. Maybe tomorow I will have time to PM you thanks, Mike