Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear mauling? (merged with "ADN article? thread)

Default Bear mauling? (merged with "ADN article? thread)

What I heard was this guy shoots a griz by the den and out pops another bear and chews him up and his buddy shoots it. Has it been in the paper?

I heard the same thing and that it was Len Keele from the Alaska Trapping Assoc. but that rumor is unfounded so I guess we'll see when it hits the news!

- Clint

Default What I heard...

...is that there were two folks involved, both bear hunting, and both needed to be MEDEVAC'd....if it's the one North of lake louise/Talkeetna Mtns area. We got the call from Troopers and turned it over to Providence Lifeguard. If this is the right incident they actually flew two helicopters to make the pick up (not sure why the two-ship).

Mark

Nothing in the ADN or Miner.

Amazing. The news can travel faster on an internet forum than it can in the mainstream media...........

My bear hunting partner this spring is a friend of Keogh's. We were possibly going to hook up with them on Saturday and never got a return call on the message my partner left. He finally talked to Keogh's wife friday night and found out he was in the hospital. A few of the details we got were he and his partner were sitting on a den for a few hours and decided to go up and get the bear as there was no other activity. Shot the bear, went up to the den, and out comes another. Chews up one side as he is protecting his head and neck while his partner is able to get there and kill the bear. 60 miles behind Eureka and gets medivac to town. So far he is okay and just worried about infection from some kind of bacteria that the bears mouth has this time of year. This is what we have heard so far. Best wishes to him and his family for a speedy recovery.

Thanks for the update Mod,keogh is a heck of a nice guy.Hope he heals up well!I heard from another source that it happened in a different location though...

That is the story I heard on Saturday as well. Keogh is a great guy, I have fished next to him for years and even taught his son Levi, I wish him and his family the best, my prayers are with them.

Default Electronics help!

The attack happened on 4-13-07 in the Oshetna River valley. Lynn Keogh, 43 yoa of Anchorage had been attacked by a Grizzly bear
    while hunting. Keogh had shot and killed a bear on a hillside and when
    he approached the bear a second bear came out of a nearby den and
    attacked him.

His hunting partner was close by and was able to shoot and kill the second bear. Keogh was able to call for help on his satellite phone and give a Life Guard helicopter his exact location with a hand held GPS. Keogh was rescued and taken to Providence Hospital. Keogh's injuries were treated and he was released from the hospital.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thanks for the update, I am surprised to hear he was released, that is good news!!!
    The obvious lesson is be prepared with all available technology and increase you chances of survival.
    Those of us the know Lynn know that he is an experienced outdoorsman with decades of experience. Sometimes those with the most experience get complacent and forget safety, Lynn did not and it may have saved his life!
    It is a great lesson for all of us as we head out hunting, boating or any summer activity. Be prepared and think SAFETY!!!

*See early conversations at Trapperman.com for details.

Injuries were, early on, stated to be serious, but not life-threatening.

Much of the time a GPS seems like neat toy; a non-necessity to take if there's room for it. But if you need a ride -NOW- it's -THE- ticket that might save your life. Same goes for a satellite cell phone.

Of note in this case is that he IS an experienced bushman, and STILL got jumped.

On your toes and don't be too loose. It can get expensive even when you're paying attention.

ruffle

Here's an article from the Daily News: Brown bear mauls trapper on bear-hunt (sic). It reports that his partner shot and killed the bear with a .220 Swift from forty yards.

Default Article in the ADN

Has anybody read the article in the ADN about a bear hunter in Glenallen that was mauled by a bear, must have been a sweet shot by his buddy and bet he is happy to have his buddy with him.

killed the bear with a .220 Swift from forty yards.
    Now that's funny! Been told here, that just cain't happen.

Hmmmm.........

Default I laughed too

not at the mauling, but when people say a smaller rifle like a .220 can't or won't do the job. I recall running across an old boy who laughed at a traveling pard who was shooting a 375 HH. The other had already gotten his with his 223 as he had every year he had hunted grizzlies.

I wouldn't intentially go after them with that light of caliber, but I imagine it does about as well as an arrow from a longbow.

Default Recover Quickly Lynn

Shared a camp in SW Alaska with Lynn back in 2003, he's a good fellow and a fine outdoorsman. He guided a hunter from Wisconsin to a 60" moose and a nice grizzly that year. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and kudos to his friend for acting quickly in an emergency.

Michael

Mark

The caliber thing wasn't much of a thought for me. Shooting the bear in the head three times while the bear has your buddy in her mouth (and probably shaking him like a doll) was quite a thought.

Can't miss. Hit your buddy in the torso, and he's dead for sure. Even if you hit his arm, it will be ruined for life. That rifle will do more damage than the bear can.

That was cool shooting.

...Bendixen took what Alaska Wildlife Trooper Jon Simeon would later describe as "three awesome, well-placed shots," at the bear's head....
    Ray Bendixen is one hell of a hunting partner.

Default hmmmm missed the hospital visit

Quote Originally Posted by Kenaimike View Post
    Now that's funny! Been told here, that just cain't happen.

Hmmmm.........
    hmmmm.... seems you missed the hospital visit part....take a .220 swift if you want.....see you in the hospital.

It's not about freak crap that happens every blue moon....its about what the average, reasonable, prudent man can do under all circumstances, ALL THE TIME!!!LIKE CLOCKWORK!!!

Again, see you in the I.C. ward in the hospital.

jedi
    Last edited by null20071; 04-18-2007 at 17:31.

Default Lynn Keough

Hi all....
    After getting an e-mail last night from my brother-in-law in Anchorage about Lynn Keough, I called Lynn's wife this afternoon and asked her how Lynn was doing and she said, "Wait a minute and I'll let him tell you." He related to me pretty much what has been written here on the board. He said when he looked into the den and heard the other bear he knew something bad was going to happen real fast and backed away as fast as he could and grabbed his rifle. He's in great spirits and hopes to be back out on the Kenai River come June. He said he's bruised up pretty bad and his leg, head & hand hurt but was glad the bear didn't use its claws & was really glad the bear wasn't bigger. He shot it thru the left shoulder with his .338 and the bullet exited thru the right hip, leaving a 6" diameter hole. He said he knew it was a fatal shot and it slower the animal down "a bit"...but not much. I told him he'd do anything to get his name in the paper and to ride in a chopper!
    Bill Hefner
    St. Petersburg, FL

Default mauling

My families prayers for a fast recovery are with him, I couldn't even imagine what that would feel like. What are the odds. Best of luck to him.

Jedi, I believe Mr. Keough was using a larger caliber rifle than a .220 swift, and it served its intended purpose in killing the first bear. His partner who according to ADN was wolf hunting, used the .220 swift to kill the second bear. .220 swift has downed MANY polar bears, generally with head shots.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast