Thread: 1st trip to AK. Any fly fishing near Anchorage?

Alpine, TX

Default 1st trip to AK. Any fly fishing near Anchorage?

I will be in Anchorage for birth of our first grand child the first week of September. My daughter knows I love to fly fish and expects me to be out. So I am trying to locate places near Anchorage that may be good for trout fishing. I am pretty sure my gear is too light for salmon. I normally fish the upper Rio Grande in Colorado (only carp here in the Big Bend) which has trout. My gear has handled up to 16" fish. I read a thread about Willow Creek, 1 1/2 hours North of Anchorage and Delong lake in Anchorage (is that real). Any help would really be appreciated.

There is a fly shop and guide service, Troutfitter's, in Cooper Landing on the Kenai, 1.5 hours south of Anchorage. Float the Upper Kenai for bows and dollies with them. Lovely area and the fishing can be great in Sept. Bead fishing primarily, but great fishing at times. Beautiful float through some nice scenery worst case scenario. Also, being from Texas, you will enjoy the drive down and back as it is very scenic. Google Troutfitters of Cooper Landing for their website and contact info.

Eagle River

Default 1st trip to AK. Any fly fishing near Anchorage?

I would head to willow, or any of the streams in that area. The lakes should be ok with a float tube also, but the streams will be hard to pass by that time of year. Let us know when you are in town.