Thread: Wood river airstrip

Default Wood river airstrip

Ill try this again on this thread. Does anyone have the long. and lat. of the lodge airstrip in the wood river drainage. Thanks Hillbilly

Default Where?

Are you talking about the one at the head waters up in the mountains?
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Default Yes

Yes. Thanks Hillbilly

I don't actually have the cordinates, but you can't miss it, just follow the wood upstream.
    I think it's even marked as a cabin on maps.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Default Thanks

I was just wanting to see it on a map so i know how far from the airstrip to to huntable sheep terrain. Thanks again Hillbilly

Can you be more specific? You are talking about the area in the south of the Tanana Flats that feeds the wood river right? I have been to two airstrips in that general area, Totatlinika and Gold king are relatively close, but you maybe be talking about one of those two that are marked as unverified on the VFR sectional. I have access to about 7 different maps and satelite imagery for that area so I can get you a grid once I am sure of what you are talking about. I have seen quite a few sheep about 6NM southeast of Gold King.
    Last edited by wobblywojg; 04-19-2007 at 05:52.

If you look at the map, the lodge strip is on the Wood River around the bend and upstream from Cody Creek. If you're coming from the South a good way to get in there is go up the Healy River from Healy and follow the pass into Cody Creek, then take a right when you get to the Wood River. There's another popular strip where Kansas Creek joins the Wood River. I could get you the exact coordinates of both if you'd like.....Louis

This one?

That's the one. Kansas Creek is the circle at the top edge of the picture.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I beleive the one near cody creek is what i was looking for. i was looking to fly in for sheep but i was told its a pretty popular place. Thanks again for the info. Hillbilly

Yes, it is a very popular place, especially for sheep. Those strips are in constant use when the weather is decent, and even when it isn't. The best you can do in this area is pick a mountain, get there 3 days before the season opens and stake it out for the opener. After that, there are hunters all over the place and even if you see a legal sheep, you will have severe competition to be the first to get to shooting range. It gets real ugly real fast flying in that drainage, especially when there are several other aircraft trying to do the same thing you are doing.